JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
People don't think tempered glass exploding be like it is but it do.
My glass oven door spontaneously "exploded" when I was walking by it last year. Glass flew for 4-5 feet. It happens often enough with oven and shower doors that there's been recall attempts. Bad framing/installation, glass imperfections, thermal stress etc.

Spontaneous Glass Breakage

I had a (frameless, super chic) tempered glass shower door disintegrate in my hands once... holding it from the top, didn't bump it, nothing... just fell apart. The first one installed no problem, second unit, not so much..
Cut my finger and left an indelible blood drop on the travertine floor tile.

Lowe's replaced it, no questions.

I had a (frameless, super chic) tempered glass shower door disintegrate in my hands once... holding it from the top, didn't bump it, nothing... just fell apart. The first one installed no problem, second unit, not so much..
Cut my finger and left an indelible blood drop on the travertine floor tile.

Lowe's replaced it, no questions.

I did the same but I think I bumped the corner. Was surprised when No cuts:s0094::s0094:

Was it parked over an ancient Indian burial ground?
Did the name Cthulu appear anywhere on the car, glass or immediate area?:eek:

My Mercedes is the exact same, only you cannot even open the trunk with the key to get to the battery! Lucky you can open the doors with the manual key and pop the hood to access the power stage and jump it to then unlock the truck!:confused:

Simple fix - just install accessory terminals/Frankenstein bolts on your trunk lid. Get the shiny ones since it IS a Mercedes and you want it to look spiffy! Now you can jump or charge away no uss no fuss. .

I know also of a glass sliding door on a house that spontaneously shattered. Even though glass is transparent, there are numerous internal stresses that cannot be seen until....

I've done auto glass since highschool, and while tempered glass can shatter for seemingly no reason, there is a good reason the vast majority of time.

The pictures aren't the best on my phone but I'm pretty sure I can see where the damage point is that shattered the window and my instant reaction would be: someone broke your window and pushed their hands through in a few spots trying to open your door, couldn't figure it out, got scared because they were making too much noise, and hauled bubblegum out of there leaving you with hundreds of tiny scratches in your paint, glass glitter in your car you might see until the day you get rid of it when the sun is right, and a nice insurance deductible to pay. (go OEM glass for the replacement, aftermarket is crap the for those)

The door wasn't opened because those doors are frameless and the glass would have crumbled.

Tempered glass will mostly blow "out", the direction of the curve, when broke because like others have said the annealing process puts the glass under stress. When glass goes in it's usually from the force of the impact carrying pieces into the car.

Weird. Never seen glass self destruct like that.

OTOH, if someone were to have smashed it in to steal, they'd likely have just knocked all the glass in or out with their instrument, not just two small sections.

My next thought was possibly and errant stone from a mower, or curious kid with a pellet gun, or a bird strike. But it was boxed in so that rules that out.

I did have a oven glass front explode once. It was sitting in the garage and I tapped it by accident with the dolly and it just shattered.

It is a mystery about the car window.

I think the C6 designers made the manual key open the hatch instead of a door (with the dead battery scenario in mind of course) because they are all a bunch of sadists. They also designed it so you have to park her with the shifter in reverse or the battery will drain...talk about a practical joke set up!
lol dont get me started about GM engineers :confused:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads