JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Years ago place I work someone went out to find her car looking like that. There was no sign of anything inside or outside of the car. We ran the surveillance tape back to check and see who did it. Turned out to be a crow. Flew into the window and shattered the glass just like that. Crow hit the ground after contact, gets up and fly's off. I would have never believed it if I did not see it myself. :eek:

1) Break out the window on the other side (you know, for balance).
2) Throw up some mirror tint on the windshield but shiny side facing in.
3) Drive in heavy traffic on I-5 with a big grin on your face. Nobody will be the wiser.

I'm thinking there was a chip or other flaw on the edge of the glass and it shattered when the conditions were just right!

Also, if this one has power windows, it may be out of adjustment and could have put too much up pressure on the glass and it finally failed!

... if this one has power windows, it may be out of adjustment and could have put too much up pressure on the glass and it finally failed!

On a C6 if the windows are rolled all the way up they "index" or automatically roll down a fraction of an inch to clear the weather stripping/window track and allow the door to open or close. They automatically roll back up fully when the door is closed. I have had my battery die before and had to crawl in the back hatch to pop the hood release... to charge the battery... to roll down the window... to open the damn door. So convenient.
And honestly, did you really think they would put manual window cranks in a Corvette?:s0140:

On a C6 if the windows are rolled all the way up they "index" or automatically roll down a fraction of an inch to clear the weather stripping/window track and allow the door to open or close. They automatically roll back up fully when the door is closed. I have had my battery die before and had to crawl in the back hatch to pop the hood release... to charge the battery... to roll down the window... to open the damn door. So convenient.
And honestly, did you really think they would put manual window cranks in a Corvette?:s0140:
My Mercedes is the exact same, only you cannot even open the trunk with the key to get to the battery! Lucky you can open the doors with the manual key and pop the hood to access the power stage and jump it to then unlock the truck!:confused:

My Mercedes is the exact same, only you cannot even open the trunk with the key to get to the battery! Lucky you can open the doors with the manual key and pop the hood to access the power stage and jump it to then unlock the truck!:confused:

I think the C6 designers made the manual key open the hatch instead of a door (with the dead battery scenario in mind of course) because they are all a bunch of sadists. They also designed it so you have to park her with the shifter in reverse or the battery will drain...talk about a practical joke set up!

Last Edited:
HA, they stole that from SAAB! Even worse, you could only insert/remove the key with the shifter in reverse, and the dang key was right next to the shifter! They also had it set up so you could only start the car with the parking break set! Later you had to also step on the clutch, a bunch of others did that as well! No Wonder SAAB went under, with stupidity like that ( And G.M. Management) doomed them to failure!

Interesting responses, certainly looks like a blowout of some sort or another, liking the crow or bird theory, makes the most sense.

Understand the power window technology, first experienced it on a '15 Mustang convertible, with the windows autoindexing...

Just wondering why Joe Link sports a C6 and a Benjamin HighPoint... One of these things don't belong...

My guess, heat. Tempered glass, strong as it is under most circumstances has been heat treated and for that reason can be fussy. They will give way to stress, too. Like how they are mounted in the window regulator mechanism, etc. The tail gate glass in my old '72 Ford Ranch Wagon is tempered glass, one day I went out and it had just popped for not apparent reason. Oh there was a reason, I'm sure, but it was spontaneous, not inflicted, exact cause unknown to me. I had two spares from cars I'd junked out, so still have one left just in case.

Interesting responses, certainly looks like a blowout of some sort or another, liking the crow or bird theory, makes the most sense.

Understand the power window technology, first experienced it on a '15 Mustang convertible, with the windows autoindexing...

Just wondering why Joe Link sports a C6 and a Benjamin HighPoint... One of these things don't belong...
By the time he paid for the car all he could afford was the HP with some wall paper on it :s0140:

I'm in the flaw/pressure camp.
Bulging outward
Broken through in TWO places
Glass chunks outside
A projectile would have taken out the whole thing with the majority of bits inside of vehicle.

I have had my battery die before and had to crawl in the back hatch to pop the hood release... to charge the battery... to roll down the window... to open the damn door. So convenient.
That reminds me of the time in high school that I locked myself inside my car... bear w me through the drift:
71 Monte Carlo SS (damn right it had a 454). After stupidly locking my only key inside and discovering how shockingly easy it was to break into, I removed the knobs and all-thread from the doors as a security measure. After all, it had power windows and locks.
One night, GF and I, probably some April Wine on the tape deck, and viola!.. dead battery. No power windows and worse, couldn't unlock the doors. We were locked-in.

Let it "rest" for awhile and managed enough juice to unlock a door one time. Then a looong walk to a pay phone (it was 1983 or 84) to call an understanding buddy for a jump (for the the car, I had already been "jumped"... that girl was a wild one).

The End.

Look at the pattern. Stress break from the track perhaps not lining up with the top. Sometimes, glass just breaks. Loaded the dishwasher one night. While nearby on the web, there was a sudden sound of glass shattering. Looked around - nothing. Checked inside the dishwasher and a cheap Chinese butter dish had spontaneously shattered from internal stresses, I guess. The dishes were not being washed at the time. Funny thing was that it was right next to a Saint Michael the Archangel coffee mug. Hmmmm...

looks like someone knocked it out in the spots that a door lock and unlock knob would be on many cars

That was my first thought too. They used a window breaker to get it to shatter initially and then punched out the two spots searching for the lock and latch. And then they were disappointed that there was nothing in it to take.

The one about the crow, however, was interesting. It's hard for me to believe a crow could hit with enough force to break the glass and then get up and fly off. Stranger things though.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top