JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Longer barrel will get you more velocity, but as far as accuracy goes... Eh, no two barrels are ever really the same. You can try and test all the 24" and 16" barrels in the world and the results will vary too much to have anything conclusive.

Longer barrel will get you more velocity, but as far as accuracy goes... Eh, no two barrels are ever really the same. You can try and test all the 24" and 16" barrels in the world and the results will vary too much to have anything conclusive.

View a 24" and a 16" barrel with the same profile under a high speed camera. "Barrel Whip" anyone? :rolleyes:

Longer barrel for longer distance is a myth. Ever wonder why "Tactical" type "sniper" rifles always tend to be lower on the barrel length?

View a 24" and a 16" barrel with the same profile under a high speed camera. "Barrel Whip" anyone? :rolleyes:

Longer barrel for longer distance is a myth. Ever wonder why "Tactical" type "sniper" rifles always tend to be lower on the barrel length?
The issue with barrel whip has more to do with keeping it consistent than it whipping. Even short barrels whip (to a lesser extent, but they still whip). Its all about keeping the harmonics the same. Which is why free floating is a thing.

The only consistent you'll get is the lack of consistency testing various barrel lengths.

The issue with barrel whip has more to do with keeping it consistent than it whipping. Even short barrels whip (to a lesser extent, but they still whip). Its all about keeping the harmonics the same. Which is why free floating is a thing.

The only consistent you'll get is the lack of consistency testing various barrel lengths.
If there's one thing clowns know, it's harmonics.

0248158489e64774d3031&pid=1.7&rurl=https%3a%2f%2fmedia.giphy.com%2fmedia%2fTUZDNOhYyovXq%2fgiphy.gif

Did you even read my linked article?

Did you even read my linked article?
I'm aware of the article. However, that's a small sample considering there's a lot of long and short barrels available in the world. The only way to tell is to test everything. Bear in mind, that there are longer barrels that are more accurate than the shorter barrels. There is also truth in the opposite, as there are shorter barrels that are more accurate than the longer barrels.

As per usual, the only consistent you can guarantee in life is inconsistency.

I'm aware of the article. However, that's a small sample considering there's a lot of long and short barrels available in the world. The only way to tell is to test everything. Bear in mind, that there are longer barrels that are more accurate than the shorter barrels. There is also truth in the opposite, as there are shorter barrels that are more accurate than the longer barrels.

As per usual, the only consistent you can guarantee in life is inconsistency.

I get that. But in reference to the OP, a 24" barrel does NOT automatically give you more accuracy. I think that is what's relevant here.

I get that. But in reference to the OP, a 24" barrel does NOT automatically give you more accuracy. I think that is what's relevant here.
Oh, of course not. In that we are certainly in agreement. The only thing you really get from a 24" barrel is velocity, accuracy depends entirely on everything else at play.

The ballistics of the round matters more than the barrel length to be honest. Some just do well enough in shorter barrels a longer one just isn't necessary. As for going long range and stuff. The extra boost in velocity likely won't add to a hill of beans.

Oh, of course not. In that we are certainly in agreement. The only thing you really get from a 24" barrel is velocity, accuracy depends entirely on everything else at play.

The ballistics of the round matters more than the barrel length to be honest. Some just do well enough in shorter barrels a longer one just isn't necessary. As for going long range and stuff. The extra boost in velocity likely won't add to a hill of beans.

Agreed. And the VERY small gains from a 24" barrel velocity-wise seem unimportant in the overall question.

How about a Magpul equipped Seekins Precision receiver set married to a 26" 1:6.5 twist barrel by Northern Competition. Heavy, yes, counter weighed by the old UBR style stock filled with lead. There's also lead shot in the pistol grip. When I shoot standing my rifle must at the minimum be balanced at the front of the magazine where my support arm is grasping the rifle. I actually prefer to have it somewhat butt heavy because any relaxation on my part prior to firing the shot, will help to keep the barrel aligned with the target and not pivoting downward. 90gr bullets are slow going out of a 20", with this extra 6" I'm getting 2525FPS. (burris xtrii 1.5-8x28 - 34mm)
SP foliage right side.JPG

Just built a 20" running 75 grain 223. All the investigation I have done says that there is no advantage to the 24" over the 18" or 20". Try picking up a bull or fluted heavy 24" barrel besides an 18" or 20" and you will see the difference. TANK!

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top