JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
20" barrel with flattop receiver and a 4 power scope works great out to 600 yards in high power competition. I use 80 grain bullets, but some people use 77 grain bullets. Match this coming weekend (July 28 and 29) at Douglas Ridge Rifle Club.
I would normally be there but....:) I do this for fun and after +90 degrees kills the fun factor.:(
My Service Rifle. WOA 1/7 20" barrel. How about you?
DSC00157.JPG

Not sure what optics yet. May go for 3 or 4x-10x adjustable plus fold down rear sight
I've got two w 3-9x40 scopes: an 18" .223 w a Redfield and a 16" multi-cal w a Nikon... neither have space for traditional (flip up) BUIS.
I just today got a 45° rail to mount a Burris RDS. Had to go low profile because I think my elevation turret will be in my LOS. I'll know for sure when I get back to town and mount it up.

I've been busy with family and career and haven't had time for shooting highpower in over a decade. I'm still have only an iron sight AR but hope to get out and give it a workout later this summer or fall.

I've been after a 20" HB flattop upper for quite a while; just put it on my Bushmaster DCM lower with my 6x Leupold and it should be reaching out to 800+ yards using my 77 grain BTHP rapid fire load.

I already have a 20" heavy barrel 5.56 with a 3x9 Redfield on it. I've only ever shot 55gr through it, so I have no idea how heavier ammo does with it. I'd have re-sight all over again.

I really have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to long distance Shooting KINDA learn as I go.lol.
I have a friend that is a doctor that has some very exspesive guns that he shoots way out there .lol he tells me I need this and that.
I have to remind him.all the time.your a doctor.
I'm a truck driver and my bank account will not allow me to get THIS AND THAT .LOL
Hey now... You make more than three times what I make now. If anything you have fewer excuses than I do. :rolleyes:

Had a 24" AR varmint rig before, extremely heavy (especially in the front after adding a can), not maneuverable and swings like an "I" beam, terribly long, and did I mention heavy!

If you are pushing 90gr bullets or something heavy and need the extra burn time then 24" might fit our bill

if you try a 24" barrel and find it isn't what you want. you can always have the barrel cut down to the size you want to try next.

24" isn't going to get you any better accuracy or velocity than an 18" or 20" barrel. Just more weight.
Not to be argumentative, but my Stag Model 6 with 24" heavy barrel certainly does get better accuracy and velocity than my 16" barrel carbine. With 40 gr bullets, it is over 300 fps faster and with 69 gr match bullets it offers a 200 fps advantage. I haven't chronographed any 18" or 20" barrels, but am confident the additional 4 or 6 inches will add something. Granted my Stag is a bench gun with a Vortex Viper 6.5-20X scope mounted and weighs a ton, but it is pretty effective off bags or a bipod.
A 20" barrel might be a good compromise. My son built me a Stag A3 clone (20" H-bar) on an Anderson stripped lower and it isn't too heavy to shoot off hand. I haven't chronographed any loads out of it yet.

Reaching 600 consistently is easy with a good 20" barrel. Anymore adds mass and no gains in stability or velocity, can actually hurt performance based on the loads you're running. I've built a pile of these, and never gone longer than 22", including those on the 6.5 grendel and newer sweetheart, the 224 Valkyrie. Both of those are running amazing at 1000 yards. A couple months ago, I build identical 223 Wyl and 224 Val rifles...exactly same parts except for the bolt face and barrel (same brand and model, just different calibers. The 223 Wyl was hitting 3" Tannerite targets at 500 yards, everytime. (using a variety of ammo from Hornady, Sig and Federal 72, 75 and 77 grain bullets).

IMG_8852.JPG IMG_8853.JPG IMG_8854.JPG

Thinking seriously about just getting a 24", 5.56 upper and mating it to one of my existing lowers. Anyone use a 24" for longer distances, say, with a 62 or 74gr bullet? Thanks!

I've got one I built with a 24" SS full bull with spiral fluting. It really likes the 68-73 grain ELD. Nearest 800-1,000 yrd range is 3 hrs away for me so I haven't tested it out that far yet, but it'll own ya @ 600. I'll keep it;)

IMG_0933.JPG
Here is a photo of my rifle with the 20" Kreiger barrel. Works great at 600 yards with 80 grain bullets. Has a Vortex 1-4 power scope. I just leave the scope set at 4 power.

Not to be argumentative, but my Stag Model 6 with 24" heavy barrel certainly does get better accuracy and velocity than my 16" barrel carbine. With 40 gr bullets, it is over 300 fps faster and with 69 gr match bullets it offers a 200 fps advantage. I haven't chronographed any 18" or 20" barrels, but am confident the additional 4 or 6 inches will add something. Granted my Stag is a bench gun with a Vortex Viper 6.5-20X scope mounted and weighs a ton, but it is pretty effective off bags or a bipod.
A 20" barrel might be a good compromise. My son built me a Stag A3 clone (20" H-bar) on an Anderson stripped lower and it isn't too heavy to shoot off hand. I haven't chronographed any loads out of it yet.

The Truth About Barrel Length, Muzzle Velocity and Accuracy - The Truth About Guns

Worth a read. Granted, they are using a .308, but the principals are the same.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top