JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Ok, to reiterate everything about it, its 3-13, headstamp is: LC 63 MATCH, it is not rimmed.
Here's the blowup of it again:
3-13.jpg Using this for the caliper (Starrett 798) measurements: Sizing.jpg

G1: 7.89 (.3105"), H2: 8.55 (.3365"), H1: 8.69 (.3430"), P2: 11.00 (.4320"), P1: 11.85 (.4655"), E1: 10.28 (.4045"), R1: 11.88 (.4675"), L6: 71.42 (2.8095"), L3: 53.16 (2.0975"), L2: 46.70 (1.8575"), L1: 44.65 (1.7500"), E: 3.30 (.1280")

Looking forward to hearing what you guys think! :)

So the bullet diameter is .311, which puts it in the same arena as the .303 British and the Soviet bloc bullet diameters. The case is more than 2mm longer than it should be for a .338 Federal (the new name for .338-08), and the headstamp is Lake City 1963 Match, which makes it either a 7.62x51 or a 30-06 originally.

Either your measurement is wrong and the bullet is actually .338" and the case was formed in a die by Fred the Shadetree Reloader from a 7.62x51 round and not trimmed afterword or it was formed from a .30-06 and not trimmed enough afterword and it's a .338-08 or .338-06, or it's a badly-trimmed 7.62x51 that someone managed to jam a .311 bullet into.

Is it just the photo, or is there a bright band across the case a little more than halfway up the cartridge? What is that about? Is it a thin spot in the case indicating imminent separation?

So the bullet diameter is .311, which puts it in the same arena as the .303 British and the Soviet bloc bullet diameters. The case is more than 2mm longer than it should be for a .338 Federal (the new name for .338-08), and the headstamp is Lake City 1963 Match, which makes it either a 7.62x51 or a 30-06 originally.

Either your measurement is wrong and the bullet is actually .338" and the case was formed in a die by Fred the Shadetree Reloader from a 7.62x51 round and not trimmed afterword or it was formed from a .30-06 and not trimmed enough afterword and it's a .338-08 or .338-06, or it's a badly-trimmed 7.62x51 that someone managed to jam a .311 bullet into.

Is it just the photo, or is there a bright band across the case a little more than halfway up the cartridge? What is that about? Is it a thin spot in the case indicating imminent separation?

I checked the measurement again, its right, and the mm and in measurements were all taken separately. Its very possible that this is a reload tho, as I don't know what to look for indicating it. G1 is the bullet, H2 is the case
The band in the case are actually scratches going around the circumference of the case. Here's another picture zoomed in:
-1.jpg

Where did you get the round? I wonder if someone was messing around trying to make a .303-08 or a 7.7-08 wildcat. Or, maybe someone was just trying to use some bullets they found to reload .308 and figured .311 was close enough. Do you have any more like this or is this the only example?

Do you have any pics of the head of the case?

Where did you get the round? I wonder if someone was messing around trying to make a .303-08 or a 7.7-08 wildcat. Or, maybe someone was just trying to use some bullets they found to reload .308 and figured .311 was close enough. Do you have any more like this or is this the only example?

Do you have any pics of the head of the case?

I got it in Portland, found it at my uncle's place. He's an antiquities guy, does the whole estate sales thing, and I'm assuming that's where he picked it up. I'm sure if I go back and look around I can find more. Here's the headstamp:
-2.jpg

I wonder if this was someones practical joke from long ago and I got inadvertently sucked into it? I'm stumped..
I mean, it's even got age, or patina to it. I dunno

The head of the case is the shot that you have. There is no annulus on the primer, which makes me think that it's a reload. The primer definitely doesn't look original, in any event. Here's an original:

pic.jpg

The case looks like it was turned at some point as well. Those scratches start more than halfway up and go to the top.

Kip, you're probably right about it starting as an '06. The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced it'd be harder to increase the bullet diameter while lengthening the case by over two millimeters if it had started as a 7.62x51.

pic.jpg

The head of the case it the shot that you have. There is no annulus on the primer, which makes me think that it's a reload. The primer definitely doesn't look original, in any event. Here's an original:

View attachment 37997

The case looks like it was turned at some point as well. Those scratches start more than halfway up and go to the top.

Kip, you're probably right about it starting as an '06. The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced it'd be harder to increase the bullet diameter while lengthening the case by over two millimeters if it had started as a 7.62x51.

Well, hmmm, hahahaha well that ended with a bang! I still wonder what sort of cartridge this is supposed to be tho :)

I'm not sure what it is, but it's interesting. I'd hold on to it to see if someone might know in the future. To me, it looks like the product of someone's backyard experimentation.

Thank you very much for the game, though. It's been a lot of fun!

I'm not sure what it is, but it's interesting. I'd hold on to it to see if someone might know in the future. To me, it looks like the product of someone's backyard experimentation.

Thank you very much for the game, though. It's been a lot of fun!

Of course, thanks for playing! Its been a bunch of fun. And when I head back to Portland, I'm pretty sure theres a box of these rounds there, I'll see if I can find it again.
Anyways, its time to see what Friday night has in store for me :D Have a great weekend guys!

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top