JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Heres my Bimart special. I took off the reddot and use it with open sights. Less to go wrong on this type of firearm, for me. I have others that will shoot much tighter groups, but they dont break down or nearly as light and most have scopes. Im fine with the accuracy. The only time i had trouble is when the bolts securing quick release assembly came loose. Some locktite fixed that. Im not shooting quarters at 50 yards with this rifle either though. Very reliable, but did have some issues with the bx25 mags, that ran fine in my older customized out 10/22. Hard to beat for $220 bucks or so.

Heres some targets just under 25 yards. Not the best but would put dinner on the plate. And was shooting some of my least accurate ammo.

20 shots
IMG_1824.JPG
10 shots
IMG_1828.JPG
30 shots
IMG_1830.JPG
IMG_1832.JPG

On my 10/22 takedown the rear rail for attaching reddots or scopes is too high and blocks the rear iron sight. Ruger should have put a v down the center. So even if you have a QD mount you will still need an Allen wrench to remove the rail in order to use your iron sight and then you'll have 4 holes in the reciever. No biggie it comes with plug screws . I'm sure I have seen aftermarket ones with a V down the center to allow the use of the iron sights . Just a heads up if you skipped using the iron sights on the applicable models.

IMG_20170625_192803.jpg

On my 10/22 takedown the rear rail for attaching reddots or scopes is too high and blocks the rear iron sight. Ruger should have put a v down the center. So even if you have a QD mount you will still need an Allen wrench to remove the rail in order to use your iron sight and then you'll have 4 holes in the reciever. No biggie it comes with plug screws . I'm sure I have seen aftermarket ones with a V down the center to allow the use of the iron sights . Just a heads up if you skipped using the iron sights on the applicable models.

View attachment 457647

Looks like you are far from alone with this.

https://smile.amazon.com/MRUB1022V2...1525638127&sr=8-2&keywords=NC+Star+10/22+rail

NcSTAR Black Weaver Scope Base Mount for Ruger 10/22 1022 10-22 Rifle Rail V2 | eBay

Amazon and Ebay for starters offer one made by NC Star that claims to fix just this. Has a v notch down the middle. I don't know if Ruger has changed something here also. Had a hard time getting a good shot of it but on my 10/22 Take down the rail does not block the sights. I had a hard time trying to get a good shot of it with my phone. The rail is annoying on mine as it does come close to blocking the sights. I think I will try one of the replacements from Amazon. For $10 it looks like it's worth giving it a shot.

10-22.jpg

Looks like you are far from alone with this.

https://smile.amazon.com/MRUB1022V2-Ncstar-Ruger-Mount-black/dp/B00VFVV7P0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1525638127&sr=8-2&keywords=NC+Star+10/22+rail

NcSTAR Black Weaver Scope Base Mount for Ruger 10/22 1022 10-22 Rifle Rail V2 | eBay

Amazon and Ebay for starters offer one made by NC Star that claims to fix just this. Has a v notch down the middle. I don't know if Ruger has changed something here also. Had a hard time getting a good shot of it but on my 10/22 Take down the rail does not block the sights. I had a hard time trying to get a good shot of it with my phone. The rail is annoying on mine as it does come close to blocking the sights. I think I will try one of the replacements from Amazon. For $10 it looks like it's worth giving it a shot.

View attachment 457648

Even though it looks close groups will suffer. I believe I was shooting way low when I tried it with the rail. I need the bead at the bottom of the V.

Even though it looks close groups will suffer. I believe I was shooting way low when I tried it with the rail. I need the bead at the bottom of the V.

Try that one from NC Star. I have one in my cart now for the next order to give it a shot. For $10 I figure it's well worth trying. I found it first on Ebay and it was getting some positive reports that it did fix exactly this problem. My eye's don't work well with iron these days so after the initial trip out with our latest 10/22 I slapped a dot on mine. After I took it off to try to get a camera shot of it I tried to put one of the quick mounts I found a while back and have fallen in love with. I was kind of surprised to see it would not fit the Ruger rail. Apparently the rail that comes on with the Ruger is not a true 1913 rail. The slots are too narrow to use the quick release mount I have several of now. Will see if the NC Star one does work with this . If not it will be simple to alter one slot to use the quick mount. Will let everyone know how the NC mount works when I get it too.

Thanks for the links Alex. I will have to remember to add it to the next Amazon order.

MrMillspecer and any who have a 10/22 this NC Star mount works just as advertised. Got one today from Amazon, $10. It works great. Not only does it allow full view of the iron sights it is a true 1911 rail so now my favorite quick release mount will fit the rifle too. The one I bought is black and the rifle is stainless so does not match. No bother to me. Now when Wife see's it (it's her rifle) she may kick. If so I will just bead blast the thing since I suspect it's just some kind of coating on it and it's some kind of aluminum alloy. I am going to order another one for the older 10/22 we have too.

10-22 mount1.jpg 10-22 mount2.jpg

Hi guys!
I have recently gotten a itch for 22lr again, and I wanna run with it. The 10/22 has come a long ways since I purchased my first rifle long ago! I have a 22 suppressor now, but it will not fit on my rifle as it is not threaded. I just cant bear the idea of cutting the front sight post off of my trusty rifle that has been so good to me over the years just to attach my can. I contacted Ruger, they are willing to custom build a factory 18.5" threaded barrel for me with sights for just under $300 shipped. Good god man, that's more than I paid for the rifle!
So I have decided to consider replacing the rifle. I am very interested in the new "Take Down" varieties, and the "10/22 Lite" version. The idea of a break apart rifle to throw in a backpack is just too cool, but I wouldn't trade it for the accuracy and dependability of my old 10/22. I need to be able to plug a quarter at 50 yards, or why bother.
Anybody have any experience with these new takedown and takedown lite versions, and could compare accuracy with the original?

Go to the Rimfirecentral site, (google is your friend)and you will find/get all the info in the known world about 10-22s.
Best,
Gary

Thanks for the links Alex. I will have to remember to add it to the next Amazon order.

I got to try this today and it is great. I seldom use iron now other than just some practice in case I have to. Sucks since I really can't see the front sight any more. I had shot both of my 10/22's with the mount on and did not realize how much it does get in the way. When I popped the dot off mine this morning it made a big difference in how well I could shoot with the iron with the rail still on. I had not realized how much difference it made with the rail in the way. Well worth the $10.

I got to try this today and it is great. I seldom use iron now other than just some practice in case I have to. Sucks since I really can't see the front sight any more. I had shot both of my 10/22's with the mount on and did not realize how much it does get in the way. When I popped the dot off mine this morning it made a big difference in how well I could shoot with the iron with the rail still on. I had not realized how much difference it made with the rail in the way. Well worth the $10.

I ordered the UTG brand and it is not cut low enough to use the irons well. I should have ordered the Ncstar as the grove looks deeper. Will be sending it back. Doesn't work as advertised. Looks like the Ncstar is the way to go.

MrMillspecer and any who have a 10/22 this NC Star mount works just as advertised. Got one today from Amazon, $10. It works great. Not only does it allow full view of the iron sights it is a true 1911 rail so now my favorite quick release mount will fit the rifle too. The one I bought is black and the rifle is stainless so does not match. No bother to me. Now when Wife see's it (it's her rifle) she may kick. If so I will just bead blast the thing since I suspect it's just some kind of coating on it and it's some kind of aluminum alloy. I am going to order another one for the older 10/22 we have too.

View attachment 458510 View attachment 458511

Thanks for the info Alex. I ordered the same one and it works great. It gives a nice view of the sights and I can even see them under the red-dot. Well worth the 10 bucks spent on the 10/22. Avoid the UTG brand on these mounts if you want to use your irons. Ruger should have grooved theirs at the factory. The allen bolts are an upgrade as well.

Now waiting for the Leupold Freedom rimfire 2-7 to show up. Nothing says fun like sighting in a new scope.

I took off my thread protector and still couldn't see the sights. Lol :)

I replaced the flash hider looking thread protector on mine with just a standard stainless one. When I was ordering the new rail I searched for 1/2 /28 thread protector and of course Amazon had several of them. So tossed one in the order that was prime. I don't think my Wife even noticed that yet. :) She surprisingly did not mind that the new rail was black. I looked at the packaging and it is as I suspected, just anodized. So if someone wants one to match the rifle better I would guess it would be simple to just sand or bead blast one. I was also surprised to find the factory rail was not a true 1913. Strange that Ruger did these like that but the fix it simple and cheap :)

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top