JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi guys!
I have recently gotten a itch for 22lr again, and I wanna run with it. The 10/22 has come a long ways since I purchased my first rifle long ago! I have a 22 suppressor now, but it will not fit on my rifle as it is not threaded. I just cant bear the idea of cutting the front sight post off of my trusty rifle that has been so good to me over the years just to attach my can. I contacted Ruger, they are willing to custom build a factory 18.5" threaded barrel for me with sights for just under $300 shipped. Good god man, that's more than I paid for the rifle!
So I have decided to consider replacing the rifle. I am very interested in the new "Take Down" varieties, and the "10/22 Lite" version. The idea of a break apart rifle to throw in a backpack is just too cool, but I wouldn't trade it for the accuracy and dependability of my old 10/22. I need to be able to plug a quarter at 50 yards, or why bother.
Anybody have any experience with these new takedown and takedown lite versions, and could compare accuracy with the original?

I have heard folks having great experiences with their takedown models and optics mounted to the receivers not shifting impact each time it was taken apart and reassembled. However, I did not have that experience with mine. I had a .5-1" shift on occasion at 50 yards with a fixed 6 power scope mounted to the receiver. The iron sights worked really well however, and since they are mounted to the barrel I experienced zero point of shift errors. I'd consider another one in time, but I braced a Charger to replace it.

If you like your existing 10-22 so much, perhaps consider getting a new barrel for it. There are tons of options out there.

I like my TacSol equipped 10-22. Stupid light. They make barrels for break down models too.

00038DB2-E797-4A98-A6FE-2F5E31FC9B11.jpeg E5E66933-A691-4239-90CB-596D235BEDA1.jpeg 447CF3F4-A65C-47BC-93D5-642F77030170.jpeg

Lol @Reno911 youre the reason I have to have a new one! When you posted that anniversary edition, I knew that I should just buy a new one rather than replace my barrel.
I am disappointed to hear about your poi shift. .5-1" at fifty? Does that mean 1-2" in any direction? If my math is right, that's a 4 MOA point of impact shift, and completely unacceptable. Even 2 moa is not ok with me.
You said others have had good luck, though. Do you see any options for a receiver mounted scope takedown that will hold a reliable zero?

Lol @Reno911 youre the reason I have to have a new one! When you posted that anniversary edition, I knew that I should just buy a new one rather than replace my barrel.
I am disappointed to hear about your poi shift. .5-1" at fifty? Does that mean 1-2" in any direction? If my math is right, that's a 4 MOA point of impact shift, and completely unacceptable. Even 2 moa is not ok with me.
You said others have had good luck, though. Do you see any options for a receiver mounted scope takedown that will hold a reliable zero?
Not so much a reduction in accuracy, it would shoot .25"-.5" or so groups at 50 yards if I did my part. I'd zero, then next time I put it together the zero would shift.

As far as optics go the Magpul takedown stock has an accessory mount for a red dot to be mounted to the barrel.

829866.jpg

I've also owned a couple of these takedown models. Every bit as accurate as their non-takedown sporter counterparts.

Although my point of impact was reproducible whenever I reassembled the gun, it makes sense to re-zero the gun every time you do so.

You can get a thread adapter for your 10/22 from coastalgun.com

Coastal Guns 10/22 threaded sight mount w/ Pic [Archive] - UZI Talk Forums

heres what i use:

Ruger 10/22 1022 1/2"x28 Thread Muzzle Brake Adapter w/knurled Thread Protector Ruger 10/22 1022 1/2"x28 Thread Muzzle Brake Adapter w/knurled Thread Protector | eBay

That's what I am using now. But with the length of threads on the adapter, I also have to use a spacer. Then the can. And when everything is stacked together, my poi shift is 4" at 5 yards! Something wasn't right there!
I would like to do some more testing since I've thought about it more, but it's just so damn far to drive just to put a few rounds through it. And now there's snow. Or I could go to the English pit, where I get my ears shot out by everyone else while I'm shooting supressed. :cool:
I'm gonna stick with the threaded barrel idea. But still unsure about the takedown idea. Sounds like they are completely unreliable from what you guys are saying.

Although my point of impact was reproducible whenever I reassembled the gun, it makes sense to re-zero the gun every time you do so.

So what you're saying is the grouping was excellent, but there was always a poi shift and you left it as is. How far did it shift? And did it shift with any consistancy?
I could totally get behind the takedown idea if the shift was only a minimal amount from a residential zero. But if it continued to walk that would suck!

That's what I am using now. But with the length of threads on the adapter, I also have to use a spacer. Then the can. And when everything is stacked together, my poi shift is 4" at 5 yards! Something wasn't right there!
I would like to do some more testing since I've thought about it more, but it's just so damn far to drive just to put a few rounds through it. And now there's snow. Or I could go to the English pit, where I get my ears shot out by everyone else while I'm shooting supressed. :cool:
I'm gonna stick with the threaded barrel idea. But still unsure about the takedown idea. Sounds like they are completely unreliable from what you guys are saying.

So what you're saying is the grouping was excellent, but there was always a poi shift and you left it as is. How far did it shift? And did it shift with any consistancy?
I could totally get behind the takedown idea if the shift was only a minimal amount from a residential zero. But if it continued to walk that would suck!

I never meant to sound like they were unreliable. They are every bit as reliable as the non-takedown model. The only issue is, when removing and reattaching the barrel, there is possibly going to be some tolerance when reattaching, that could affect your point of impact. And although I said it would be wise to re-zero the gun with a receiver-mounted sight, I also said it was not an issue at all with mine, and my point of impact remained the same when reattaching the barrel. The headspace is adjustable, and I adjusted mine quite tight. Could be why I had no issue, when others report a 1/2" change in point of impact.

Two more things...Remember, if you're using just barrel mounted sights, there will be no impact shift when removing and reinstalling the barrel. It's the minuscule change that could be possible with a receiver mounted sight that could be posible if there is a rotational difference in the barrel tenon relative to the receiver. And once installed, there is no "walking" of POI.

If you wanted to experiment, and didn't want to drive too far, I can always make my range at Canby Gun club available.

Last Edited:
At least my 10/22 takedown came with a threaded barrel. I am not sure if every version comes with, but easy enough to check.
If you want to avoid any worries about losing zero, you can mount a new sight on the barrel in place of the standard horns. They definitely make peeps and fiber optic sights and I believe you can get an "adapter" to mount something more traditional. You have to be careful, though, that anything you attach doesn't get too close to the stock (away from the muzzle) because it might interfere with the takedown mechanism because of the twist-lock motion.

I never meant to sound like they were unreliable. They are every bit as reliable as the non-takedown model. The only issue is, when removing and reattaching the barrel, there is possibly going to be some tolerance when reattaching, that could affect your point of impact. And although I said it would be wise to re-zero the gun with a receiver-mounted sight, I also said it was not an issue at all with mine, and my point of impact remained the same when reattaching the barrel. The headspace is adjustable, and I adjusted mine quite tight. Could be why I had no issue, when others report a 1/2" change in point of impact.

Two more things...Remember, if you're using just barrel mounted sights, there will be no impact shift when removing and reinstalling the barrel. It's the minuscule change that could be possible with a receiver mounted sight that could be posible if there is a rotational difference in the barrel tenon relative to the receiver. And once installed, there is no "walking" of POI.

If you wanted to experiment, and didn't want to drive too far, I can always make my range at Canby Gun club available.
The Take Down is awesome but it's not meant for Nation Match competition, otherwise everyone at NM would have Take Down style rifles. If you had to use it to live off squirrels with only iron sights you wouldn't go hungry.

If you're looking for a threaded factory barrel, try Brownell's.

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-par...ded-long-rifle-barrels-18-1-2--prod97703.aspx

I have no idea what the lead time will be, though.

I had the same idea of converting an existing rifle to a threaded barrel, but chose to go with a takedown model instead. My reasoning was the same as yours; I couldn't bear to modify a rifle that already shot so well.

Can you just find and quickly install a threaded barrel for can use?

Green Mountain Barrels

I have looked into this idea. I found threaded barrels as inexpensive as $100, and boy do they go up in price fast! When researching barrels, I could not find anything that had iron sights and a threaded barrel that was reasonable when factoring the cost of a new rifle.
And My old 10/22 has been such a great rifle. I really do not want to change it, and if I end up replacing it with a new 10/22 I would like to know that whoever gets it next is getting a tried and true rifle.
I am also a bit fearful that once I start messing with changing barrels on my current 10/22, it will not "feel" the same to me. I am sure that it can be done reliably, but there is a certain trust that I have in it now.
I guess what I am rambling about is that I dont want to mess around with a perfectly good rifle that has served me so well.

If you're looking for a threaded factory barrel, try Brownell's.

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-par...ded-long-rifle-barrels-18-1-2--prod97703.aspx

I have no idea what the lead time will be, though.

I had the same idea of converting an existing rifle to a threaded barrel, but chose to go with a takedown model instead. My reasoning was the same as yours; I couldn't bear to modify a rifle that already shot so well.

This is the exact same barrel that I have been in contact with Ruger about. They offered a custom run of them for me @ $239 plus shipping. I would like this barrel, but the idea that changing my barrel will affect the rifle in a negative way intimidates me, as well as the price.
Thats why I am considering the take down version instead of replacing the barrel.

I have put together a pretty nice takedown using the tactical solutions shrouded barrel and axiom suppressor. I have also upgraded the trigger, mag release, bolt release, and ambidextrous charge handle. I currently have a 2-7 Nikon scope on it and it still fits in the bag with the can and scope installed. Its super lite and reliable. I honestly haven't spent any time with accuracy or shift testing as it works well for anything I do with it. My 12 year old loves the thing for sure.
I have 2 other factory configuration take downs with iron sights and threaded barrels. Again I haven't noticed any accuracy/shift issues for the family plinking and rodent control they are used for.
I think a lot of it has to do with proper adjustment of the receiver to barrel spacer. Too loose = inaccurate. Too tight = shift issues.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top