JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My Para Expert is a work horse and accurate, love it! Too bad Remington bought them.
I agree, I am sad to see Para gone and not interested in buying anything from Remington. I've always been a Springfield Armory fan as far as 1911s go. What made Para interesting to me is their innovation throughout their existence and the fact that they were a small family owned company (and the company was founded by a fellow Hun :) )

" Ted Szabo, 60, Leaves Behind a Legacy of Innovation at Para-Ordnance

Ted Szabo, the innovative president of Para-Ordnance Mfg. Inc., passed away on Wednesday March 28, 2007 at the age of 60. Szabo, a gifted engineer and designer, founded the company in the 1985 with his friend, Thanos Polyzos.

From its inception, the company displayed an innovative capacity that has characterized its products ever since. Their first offering, introduced in 1987, was an all-plastic, selective-fire paint ball gun called the Model 85 "Dye Marking Tactical Machine Pistol." In full-auto mode, this unique pistol fired at a rate of 1,200 rounds per minute, and was designed as a close-quarters-combat training device for law enforcement and military personnel.

In 1988, Para-Ordnance introduced an innovation which Szabo had dreamt about since his college days: a high-capacity frame and magazine for Model 1911 pistols. This solved the classic handgunners' dilemma—choosing between the superior stopping power of the .45 ACP cartridge and the impressive magazine capacity and firepower of the 9mm Parabellum.

For the first time in history, Model 1911 pistol owners no longer had to compromise, and could enjoy an 86% increase in magazine capacity—from 7 rounds to 13. The high-capacity frame assembly became Para's first step in a long series of needed improvements upon the original John M. Browning design.

Szabo's passion was the 1911 pistol, or what he called, "the best platform for an auto-loading pistol." While he was intrigued with John Browning's original designs, Szabo had no interest in replicating them. "I have always wanted to pick up where his design left off and carry the technology forward to the next level," said Szabo.

And that is what he did in 1990 with the introduction of the Para P14·45 pistol with double the magazine capacity of a standard 1911. Szabo's creative genius drove him to continuously seek ways of improving handgun design. Szabo pondered why there could not be an easier, smoother double-action trigger system. His development of a true light double-action (LDA) trigger system won his company an unprecedented four "Gunny" awards from Guns & Ammo magazine.

Never content to rest on his laurels, Szabo was constantly looking for ways to improve the 1911 pistol. The design of the extractor, he felt, was a weak link that needed to be improved. The result was Para's patented Power Extractor™ with its 50% larger claw that produces controlled feeding and positive extraction of the empty case.

While Szabo's desire was always to "significantly improve a product" he had another passion, and that was championing gun rights. His family fled his native Hungary after the tanks rolled into Budapest in 1956. "I know what it means to have your dreams of freedom crushed by a totalitarian government," said Szabo.

Para's new Gun Rights models, the PXT 1911 SSP and the PXT P14·45, were designed to give consumers significant value and make a contribution to NRA-ILA. "We all need to support the NRA and the work they are doing for all of us. We are facing a lot of challenges as we go into 2008," said Szabo.

In the spirit that Para-Ordnance was created, the company will continue to champion value for gun owners and their continued rights. Co-founder, Thanos Polyzos, and his strong management team will continue to produce the innovative pistols that Ted Szabo created, as well as his new designs that are in development."

No rattlers here :) :

16807203_10212286258617441_9049720049305205422_n.jpg

I had extensions on my P14 mags... 14 became 16 and 18 = what a blast!! Butt kicking .45ACP defense!!!!!

STI came out later than when I bought my stock P14.45 brand new. P14s were the hottest going thing in USPSA LIMITED division at the time. I spent quite a few $$ on modification and wound up with a two-tone handgun whose performance was IMO as good as an STI.

100_0209.JPG
Gun sale 026.jpg
Gun sale 012.jpg
Gun sale 021.jpg
Gun sale 015.jpg
Gun sale 020.jpg
100_0208.JPG

I agree, I am sad to see Para gone and not interested in buying anything from Remington. I've always been a Springfield Armory fan as far as 1911s go. What made Para interesting to me is their innovation throughout their existence and the fact that they were a small family owned company (and the company was founded by a fellow Hun :) )

" Ted Szabo, 60, Leaves Behind a Legacy of Innovation at Para-Ordnance

In the spirit that Para-Ordnance was created, the company will continue to champion value for gun owners and their continued rights. Co-founder, Thanos Polyzos, and his strong management team will continue to produce the innovative pistols that Ted Szabo created, as well as his new designs that are in development."

No rattlers here :) :

:s0101:

Thanx for that!!

I'm a a para fan for sure. Had a stainless expert and an elite commander and now have the black ops. All ran well and they have some nice features for the price

Not a fan (one way or the other) but a happy owner with a Para Target Elite that is approaching 6,000 rounds. FYI - it was my 1st 1911 and I now own several others from various companies.

Accuracy is great and has been 100% reliable (I only shoot my handloads with coated round nose -flat point- 230gr).

Only maintenance has been cleaning/oiling/changing springs as needed/replaced FO rod once).

Only problem out of the box was one of the rear sight screws started to come out as it hadn't been properly loctited.

Will probably keep it as long as I can shoot 45's (arthritis).

I searched for a Warthog and never was able to find one. I did find a P12-45, and then later found a P10 (no Warthog markings). The 10 has never worked reliably and has spent quite a bit of time with a gunsmith. The 12 works VERY well and I like it a lot. I have not had any accuracy problems with either pistol.

I have 3 Paras one of them is the 6" barrel Para Hawg, its very accurate, but its a JAM-OMATIC with ball ammo.
The other 2 are just OK 45s
Last year I bought a new STI DVC Limited in 9mm, yes, it was $2700.00 BUT it out shoots all the paras colts glocks ect.... you get the picture. My friends love to shoot it cause its fast, accurate and smokes everything we all have.
In other words you get what you pay for.....

Here's a pic of my Para LDA-9 and Slim-Hawg .45. Two of my most cherished 1911's. They put a big smile on my face just looking at them. Neither has ever had any type of issues since the day originally purchased them. A Para Paras.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I really like my Para 14.45. With the extended baseplates 17 rounds of 45 ACP can't be beat. I like the feel of the double stack grip since I have big gorilla hands. I changed the front sight to a fiber optic but every thing else but the magazine is stock. The OEM magazines are readily available, good quality and less than most. I think I paid less than $25 a piece. I wanted to use if for heavy metal division in three gun. Really does the trick.

20161212_141341.jpg

I built 1911's for many years. In the time years of Paraordance. I usually built Essex frames, then moved to Caspian or Colt. I have a hardness tester and the Para frames were soft. They were easy to work but I was never comfortable with the quality of there metal work. They weren't the only soft metal in frame brand but they were as soft as the worst I ever tested. Now, I have a pure Colt Commander and a All Colt Gold cup built on a Caspian frame. Caspian has never built a sub standard product and my Colts have always been superb. The USMC is using Caspian to build there special ops 1911's. I am sure that the soft frames work a long time but will wear very fast compared to a fram with proper alloy and heat treating. They know that few of there guns will get enough use to significantly loosen. I used to buy 70 year old Argentine contract guns built by Colt and refit them, many I had nickel plated. They were like new in the metal fit no matter how rough they looked. Any time I couldn't get a part to fit....hand fitting it....I would go back to a Colt part and that would solve the problem. Sometimes while fitting a part, it was obviously soft and again I would replace it with a Colt part.......eventually, I only used Colt parts as they were the only maker that was consistently quality.

Just bought my first Para Ordnance 1911 at the local pawn shop

Future plans are replacing the sights with Trijicon night sights, EGW guide rod conversion and lightened trigger install. I was able to pick up some magazines for cheap from Sarco. Once thoroughly tested for reliability it will be an alternative to my CZ P10C as a CC gun.

View attachment 387472

the last thing you want to do on a carry gun is modify or lighten the trigger pull..

Gun Modifications

Good story as a safety reminder. When I bought my Stainless P-14 (now unfortunately lost in the boat accident as well) from a private party a few years, after a quick inspection she appeared about new so I cashed him out and went home. As is my MO I went straight to the bench and tore her all the way down to clean, lube and maybe polish the feed ramp. Went to run a brush and Hoppe's through and the thing had a squib lodged halfway down the barrel. God sent that gun to me to keep someone without OCD (that's Ordnance Compulsive Disorder) from taking her to the range right off and, as Johnny's Reloading Bench says, "blowing their face off". The lesson here is obvious.
I always wonder if the guy was a moron or a domestic terrorist targeting Gun Guys. I should go through old emails and post the bastard's info again as a Public Service .