JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Good story as a safety reminder. When I bought my Stainless P-14 (now unfortunately lost in the boat accident as well) from a private party a few years, after a quick inspection she appeared about new so I cashed him out and went home. As is my MO I went straight to the bench and tore her all the way down to clean, lube and maybe polish the feed ramp. Went to run a brush and Hoppe's through and the thing had a squib lodged halfway down the barrel. God sent that gun to me to keep someone without OCD (that's Ordnance Compulsive Disorder) from taking her to the range right off and, as Johnny's Reloading Bench says, "blowing their face off". The lesson here is obvious.
I always wonder if the guy was a moron or a domestic terrorist targeting Gun Guys. I should go through old emails and post the bastard's info again as a Public Service .

That's messed up, the guy who sold you that gun deserves a good old fashioned bubblegum beating at least for not telling you about the squib. When I buy used guns the first thing I do is to strip it to the frame, clean and lube.

Last Edited:
I've owned more than a few 1911s over the years.
I'd skip the guide rod and get a fitted beavertail grip safety.

Regarding the trigger question - I replace all the springs on any used 1911. Regarding pull weight, 4-6 lbs is carry spec from virtually all manufacturers - under 4 is really for bench/competition.

Self-defense is a stressful situation - an extra lb or two of pull weight is easy to handle. A 3.5" gun is not for bench/competition work, right?

The guy comparing a $2k+ STI to a sub-1k carry gun is hilarious.

if you wind up in court they are going to ask you why you lowered the pull weight, what are you going to say?

if you wind up in court they are going to ask you why you lowered the pull weight, what are you going to say?

I see your point, thank you for bringing it up. I will measure the trigger pull to cover my bubblegum. If it's too light I will make the appropriate adjustments.

I've owned more than a few 1911s over the years.
I'd skip the guide rod and get a fitted beavertail grip safety.

Regarding the trigger question - I replace all the springs on any used 1911. Regarding pull weight, 4-6 lbs is carry spec from virtually all manufacturers - under 4 is really for bench/competition.

Self-defense is a stressful situation - an extra lb or two of pull weight is easy to handle. A 3.5" gun is not for bench/competition work, right?

The guy comparing a $2k+ STI to a sub-1k carry gun is hilarious.

I'm that guy and I disagree,
I found my pocket carry Kimber after I bought the STI and it seems every bit as accurate

I traded my wart hawg para for a Detonics Combat master It doesn't jam and it works every time.
If I don't get the jamin para hawg to work properly, its going on gun broker next.
I only like Iron I can trust.

If I don't get the jamin para hawg to work properly, its going on gun broker next.
I only like Iron I can trust.

I agree, but even the best dog can get a thorn in it's paw sometimes.
What kind of malfunction are you getting? Failure to feed or stovepiping? I know that at different times both my Para HiCaps started with feed issues that required a good cleaning and a chamber and ramp polishing with lotsa Flitz. In both cases the issue went away immediately and never returned. Great guns both of them.
I miss those Paras, hell I miss 'em all. Wish I had some scuba gear and could figger out exactly where that boat capsized at.

Wish I had some scuba gear and could figger out exactly where that boat capsized at.

Forget the boat ! use a magnet... just sayin

The Para hawg, only likes hot ammo or it will jam and ball ammo is out of the question.
Maybe a lighter recoil spring would help. I like the 6" barrel, at 50 yds its still very accurate. I polished the ramp but it still jams.

Just bought my first Para Ordnance 1911 at the local pawn shop

Future plans are replacing the sights with Trijicon night sights, EGW guide rod conversion and lightened trigger install. I was able to pick up some magazines for cheap from Sarco. Once thoroughly tested for reliability it will be an alternative to my CZ P10C as a CC gun.

View attachment 387472

Ended up installing a Para Ordnance Commander size slide from Ebay. It came as a full upper section, slide, full size guide rod, match barrel. Now the pistol looks as if it was made by Para that way :) It fit like a glove, no fitting was needed, slide to frame fit was perfect. What's not to like? 12 round compact 1911 frame and a commander barrel :)

DSC_4226_01.JPG

Last Edited:
I received a black Para 14.40 Limited in a trade. It was someones USPSA gun. It's one of my best shooters. It has a fair amount of holster wear though. Any ideas on what can be used on the slide for touch up?

Old post but the one gun I regret everyday getting rid of was my 4.25" barrel , double stack 9mm Black Ops Recon. It was the most perfect gun I have owned!! But like an idiot I sold to a friend who wanted a match for his 5 inch model. I will never forgive myself!

I regretted getting rid of my 5" expert so I went and bought a commander expert....Just like the full size it eats everything I put through it, accurately too. I think they're one of the most underrated 1911s out there.

Last Edited:
Old post but the one gun I regret everyday getting rid of was my 4.25" barrel , double stack 9mm Black Ops Recon. It was the most perfect gun I have owned!! But like an idiot I sold to a friend who wanted a match for his 5 inch model. I will never forgive myself!
I had a new 45 version, the factory never ramped the frame and it took two trips back for them to correct it. I did like the gun, my son liked it better, he has it now. He did not come up to see me, he came to raid my guns!
He likes it.

I purchased a P14-45 "Signature" back in 1996 or so. They made these in Canada
and limited production of the "Signature". Before introducing the "Limited" that were basically the same.
Beavertail grip safety, ambidextrous, thumb safety, adjustable sights were not the norm on
on a production pistol. I used this for USPSA shooting long ago. I added a weld on mag well
and Cylinder and Slide internals. I have not shot it in years. With the mag extension it holds
18 rounds of 45 acp in the mag.:eek: Still shoots good.
DSC00076.JPG

I'm getting this band wagon
I too have a Para 1911 45acp and it was authorized by the wife for purchase
Now i know none of you are going to believe me but really it's true cross my heart

My first was back when you had to send your Colt in and they built a Para on your parts. That thing was a nightmare with feeding problems. Wish I had never destroyed that Colt that way. About 10 years later I picked up a P-14 at a garage sale. Great gun, no issues, but heavy. Since then I've taken a few on trade over the years. Nice guns, but they just don't fit your hand like a 1911.