JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
He has the base, what he needs are 1" rings or a new scope to fit the ones he has.
No, he doesn't. Take a closer look. Half of the "ring" is the base. Unfortunately you don't just change half a ring.
He either needs a whole new mount that's made for the larger diameter tube, or a base, like the one I linked to, with separate rings.

He has the base, what he needs are 1" rings or a new scope to fit the ones he has.
OK here are a bunch of 7/8" scopes to chose from even a variable. I don't know why I didn't do this from the start. :rolleyes:
Just make sure you can return it if it doesn't work or is broken.
Good luck, all I had to do was Google 7/8" rifle scopes for sale.
Gabby

Well crumb I forgot to include the link,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,DUH getting old is such fun! :rolleyes:
weaver v22 scope | eBay
Gabby

Last Edited:
This is a possible, but I would recommend you contact the seller first. I think there is some confusion between 7/8" tube and the weaver 7/8" scope bases.
I'm done , I've spent hours looking and most of the old stuff is priced over the moon or doesn't have a reticle ?? or has dirt in the tube ???? what's with that? o_O
Good luck finding a scope,
Gabby

4x32 Rifle Illuminated Scope w/ Mounting Ring Kits - 7/8" Weaver Style | eBay

I'm not sure if I'm any further ahead, but thank you all for your time.

BTW, I do have the peep sight for the back two holes.

You might want to give it a try. You may find that you like it. The good part about a peep is you just look at the target and the eye automatically lines everything up no squinting trying to focus on front and rear notch & post sight. You can get screws to fit the mounting holes so they don't look so bad, but they will still be there if you ever find the scope you are looking for.
Let us know what you decide. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would like to know.
Good luck,
Gabby

I'm late to this party, but here is a link to a similar discussion from 2009:
Good 3/4 or 7/8 scope? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

The mount in question is clearly a Weaver "N" mount. I did not find any mention of available tube size other than 3/4" in my old Stoeger catalogs, but the thread linked mentions a N3 in 7/8".

A good metal fabricator could make an adapter to use the old mount holes to adapt a Picatinny rail. He might want to incorporate the rear aperture sight screw holes to extend the rail further back.

Another option would be to have a machine shop bore out the old mount/rings to 1", which would remove 1/16" of metal from each part. Optical bell clearance could be a limiting factor. I have found that of the 1" scopes, the Leupold VX-1 series has the smallest diameter optical bell.

Nice rifle! It should be a lot of fun with a good scope on it. The .22 Hornet is a nice varmit rifle for western Oregon where ranges are fairly short and noise is a factor. ;)

I've got a big tackle box of scope parts that was purchased when GI Joe's went under.
I'll take a look and see if I've still got some of those side mount plates.
Last timed I was digging around, there was a vintage 1" side mount.

scope rings 001.JPG

scope rings 002.JPG

Forgive my slow reply. Today was a full day, as will be Monday and Tuesday.

Here are two more pictures of the Win 43. There are six tapped holes, but the back ones look unused. The front two were drilled through the serial number <sigh>. The rear dovetail slot has a Lyman filler plug. (Does that mean the mount is an old Lyman?)

View attachment 338929 View attachment 338930
Just eyeballing the photo it looks to me that the mount was originally in the rear set of holes, and then new holes were drilled and tapped to allow a longer eye relief by moving the scope farther forward, and leaving the rear pair of holes open and unplugged, probably gained 2 to 4 inches depending on hole spacing between the sets of holes 2 at the front and 2 at the rear. That would explain the unused holes!
Drilling new holes in the mount would require the mount is long enough front to back to accommodate drilling the new holes, and from the photos it looks to me that both of those mounts are rather short for that, which is one of the reasons I'm suggesting they get together and do some measuring, before getting excited. LOL o_O
Gabby

Last Edited:
The rear holes are factory and you can see the outlines of a peep sight that was once mounted, plus the hole diameters are different.

That tackle box of spare parts sure has come in handy over the years.
I'm always digging around in it for small screws and such to repair firearms.

I'm amazed at the time people are spending on this. It's true the rear two holes are for the peep sight. It will be work for 57 yr old eyes to learn them. I have rehearsals Mon and Tues evenings, but will measure the front four and will get back to the group.

Thank you all,

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top