JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My older 22 Hornet rifle has a side scope mount for 7/8" tube, but the scope that came with it is awful. I purchased another that is slightly better. I would like to mount a decent scope without more modifications. What should I be looking for?

I suggest you upgrade your mounts to take a 1" tube scope, you will find a larger selection of scopes that way and even the lower end ones will be sharper and clearer than those small diameter tubes. Perhaps someone else will chime in with a better idea.
Good luck in your search.
Gabby

Let's see if the picture will post.

The rifle is a Winchester 43. You can see the holes already drilled in the left side of the receiver. Do mounts exist that would allow the mounting of a 1" tube while preventing additional swiss-cheesing (awkward verb).

IMG_1303.JPG

Looks like a pretty simple mount. If you know some one good with fabbing metal, you could make a new one to take any size scope you like!
Also looks like it has Dove tailed mounts, There are repop scope mounts that fit those available as well!

Not tip off dove tail just the shadow of the scope or the reflection of it. Not grooves.
I'll do some searching, and see if I can find side mounts for 1" tube.
It may take a while so don't get impatient, but feel free to do some Googling of your own.
Gabby
Looking at the mount you have on there I see that the rings themselves detach so maybe the rings are available, that way you won't need another base.
A half way decent smith could fill those old cheese holes for you it's a simple matter of finding the correct thread screw then cutting and grinding it to match the contour of your receiver sanding and polishing it to match and then bluing it to match your bluing, a good job can be invisible.
I'm still looking.

Here is one that may match your hole pattern on your rifle, but I can't guarantee it. You might be able to contact the seller and find out, that's your best bet.
Vintage Savage 340 Mount Original Factory #-40 Blued Steel 1" Side Base & Rings | eBay
I'm still looking.
Here is another you can look at that may work.
VINTAGE WEAVER 1" RIFLE SCOPE SIDE MOUNT & RINGS W/ #2 BASE

Another thought occurred to me, often gunsmiths have odd parts in a bin or box, and they might just have the rings you need or can modify the ones you have to fit a 1" tube. Take your rifle with the mount that you have for it and go around to the smiths in your area, chances you will get the parts you need for a lot less than what you might find on eBay. Won't hurt to try and who knows what you might find and you might get to meet some good people that way, get out your yellow pages or do a local search of gunsmiths in your town. You might get some that may not be in your phone book that way.
Again Good luck!
I have another search going and may have some other links for you.

This one is just a maybe.
weaver 1'' detachable scope side mount with #8 shot gun base | eBay

I'm done,
Gabby

Last Edited:
Let's see if the picture will post.

The rifle is a Winchester 43. You can see the holes already drilled in the left side of the receiver. Do mounts exist that would allow the mounting of a 1" tube while preventing additional swiss-cheesing (awkward verb).

View attachment 338681

At least your instincts are right on the money! It appears a nice old rifle, so don't Swiss-cheese it! Awkward verb, but perfectly descriptive! :)

As a PS; I saw a few of these M-43's on the sale/auction sites looks about $700-$1450. Two of the higher priced offerings noted, "Not drilled and tapped for scope mounting." I'm assuming that they mean beyond the holes for the factory mount!

Last Edited:
Have a look about mid barrel there, Looks like ether Redfield or Unternil mount! Can also take a Lyman rear side mount!

Ura-Ki
I don't see what you are looking at. I see where someone had another side mount on it previously and left the screw holes empty after taking it off.
Help me out here.
Gabby

img_1303-jpg.338681.jpg Using the OP's picture look at the barrel just in front of the roll marks, there is a dove tailed mount very much like those used for the old school Red Field Scopes, can't tell in the picture if there is another at the front of the receiver though!

Last Edited:
View attachment 338716 Using the OP's picture look at the barrel just in front of the roll marks, there is a dove tailed mount very much like those used for the old school Red Field Scopes, can't tell in the picture if there is another at the front of the receiver though!
OK I see what you are looking at.
That is the dove tail notch for an open iron sight that they filled in when they mounted the scope. I'm looking at the photo in my photo editing program where I can really zoom in tight. SGT Nambu is right!

Another thing you "might" want to consider....Getting a better scope with 7/8" tube?
Lyman Scope | eBay

I'd gone through the opposite issue looking for rings to mount the Lyman Alaskan with the 7/8" tube to a standard Weaver Rail mount on my AK. EBAY has everything!

The OP's gun looks a lot like my Grandpa's Marlin 22. The blank in the barrel is just a dovetail plug for a typical rear sight. You can also see the two holes on the receiver for the base of a Williams or Lyman sight
On our Marlin I purchased a new Weaver mount that has the rings as part of the mount. That made it very easy to install a 1" tubed scope.
Our gun had a Weaver (which I kept) but it was so dirty inside the image was foggy. The inexpensive Simmons scope I used was a wonderful upgrade.
Please excuse the poor photo. The camera in my phone is terrible.

Marlin.jpg

Forgive my slow reply. Today was a full day, as will be Monday and Tuesday.

Here are two more pictures of the Win 43. There are six tapped holes, but the back ones look unused. The front two were drilled through the serial number <sigh>. The rear dovetail slot has a Lyman filler plug. (Does that mean the mount is an old Lyman?)

The scope mount itself is a stamped piece of steel that fits both the receiver and one side of a 7/8" scope. The side you can see has the two clamps. It seems easier to find a good 7/8 scope than to fit a new mount. I replaced a damaged Weaver V22 with a D6, but it is still pretty dim. Do any of these old scope have an objective lens larger than 5/8" without being 2' long?

IMG_1308.JPG IMG_1309.JPG

Check the post above your last one to see what the two rear most holes are for. The plug being marked Lyman just means it's a Lyman plug. The mount is most likely Weaver, even if it doesn't show any markings. My original scope and mount look very much like yours.
If you're looking for a new mount, you'll likely only find one from Weaver.

He has the base, what he needs are 1" rings or a new scope to fit the ones he has.
OK here are a bunch of 7/8" scopes to chose from even a variable. I don't know why I didn't do this from the start. :rolleyes:
Just make sure you can return it if it doesn't work or is broken.
Good luck, all I had to do was Google 7/8" rifle scopes for sale.
Gabby

weaver v22 scope | eBay

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR