JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hey Folks,

Since I was a little kid my favorite firearm has been the M1 Thompson. I loved watching the old WWII movies and, having a degree in History, I also like the historical aspect of the Thompson.

I've always wanted one but am not the type of person to buy something "just because"

So I'd like to know your thoughts:

Any experience with one? Do you own one?

For practical purposes I've had my eye on the full size 16.5" barrel. While I really like the aesthetic of the original 10.5" SBR I don't know if I want a rifle that I'm not allowed to transport across State lines without the gov't permission.

This wouldn't be a primary self defense or bug gun; just something that has my historical interest.

Thompson 30 + 1 45ACP Semi-Automatic w/Blue Steel Barrel & A

So what do you think?
I think that for their size the Thompson submachine gun is kind of heavy. They weigh about 9 pounds.

I've always liked the look of the originals... just not enough cash for one. As for the quality of the repros? Probably cheap tooling... no reason nowadays with great priced CNC machines that one can't make a nice, smooth version of many classics, and make a lot of money that way as opposed to importing the shoddily built versions...

Who currently owns the license for the original designs? That may be the stumbling block there.

Original patents would have LONG ago expired. So anyone "could" make one now. The one "fault" of the design at the time was cost. It was why the M3 was brought about. MUCH cheaper to make. Still you are spot on about modern manufacturing. There is no reason why a semi clone could not be made and made right. The one Kahr makes they offer a "deluxe" version that last I checked is over 2K. Yet they still let out way too many bad ones. This is just plain sloppy QA. They just do not want to make them right. Who knows why. Have to guess there is just not the market or at least they do not think there is. There is now reason for 2K or more someone could not make a modern version just as good or better. Problem is setting up tooling to do so is HUGELY expensive. No one yet has been willing to invest the capitol into doing it.
Even those Commando Arms things were well known for being able to work great. These too would be super easy to start cranking out again much cheaper. No one yet seems to think there would be enough market to do so though. When this was brought up I looked at a few for sale and was chagrined to see what they sell for now. Problem of course is if someone tooled up to start cranking them out again they are afraid there just would not be enough buyers to make it amortize for them. Shame, kind of miss those even.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top