JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yep! At that price today it would temp me a little. The model that used the drums is around 2K IIRC. That was the one I always wanted. I just never could let go of that much cash after reading about how poorly so many of them came out from the factory. For that kind of cash I would expect excellence. That place makes some nice looking M1 Carbines too and it's the same thing. Expensive and a crap shoot if you get a good one.
That's why I will only buy surplus... I was kicking myself for not getting the M1 by Auto Ordnance when I was looking for a rifle, at least until I read the reviews (I only had about $500 at the time and had an itch to scratch).
It's surprising how modern companies can not replicate contemporary firearms. Unless I just have a misconception about the originals efficiency... nah, some of these repos aren't worth the metal that makes them.

Still, I'd love to have a Thompson or/and a Sten...

That's why I will only buy surplus... I was kicking myself for not getting the M1 by Auto Ordnance when I was looking for a rifle, at least until I read the reviews (I only had about $500 at the time and had an itch to scratch).
It's surprising how modern companies can not replicate contemporary firearms. Unless I just have a misconception about the originals efficiency... nah, some of these repos aren't worth the metal that makes them.

Still, I'd love to have a Thompson or/and a Sten...

Yep, long ago I had a few Mil-Surp M1's. Back when they were common and fairly cheap. Damn I wish I would have kept a couple of them now. Like you I just can't understand why for the price they get for these now they can't make them VERY damn nice. I had 2 or 3 of the Commando Arms .45 rifles long ago. One used M3 mags, the other Thompson mags that were slightly altered. They were made of stamped sheet metal. They always had a trigger that made it feel like the damn safety was on but they always worked. Burned a ton of ammo through them before I would get tired and sell one to buy something else. These were made cheap and sold cheap but they just worked. So why in the hell can't they make one of these now for 2 or 2.5K and make it smooth as silk?

Yep, long ago I had a few Mil-Surp M1's. Back when they were common and fairly cheap. Damn I wish I would have kept a couple of them now. Like you I just can't understand why for the price they get for these now they can't make them VERY damn nice. I had 2 or 3 of the Commando Arms .45 rifles long ago. One used M3 mags, the other Thompson mags that were slightly altered. They were made of stamped sheet metal. They always had a trigger that made it feel like the damn safety was on but they always worked. Burned a ton of ammo through them before I would get tired and sell one to buy something else. These were made cheap and sold cheap but they just worked. So why in the hell can't they make one of these now for 2 or 2.5K and make it smooth as silk?
We might as well ponder the old question of how many licks it takes to get to the center of a tootsie pop...
If I ever win the lotto I would buy a Class III Tommy and an M3. I got to shoot an M3 a few times and loved playing with them. The people that made them would roll over in their grave to see what they sell for now :)
I'd start a company that makes all the aforementioned, and probably get some relics as well! ;)

I went with this version no tax stamp and cheap ammo still available. 259963-2c32d3a3f22af56cc1b713ea7500afbb.jpg

https://www.northwestfirearms.com/data/attachments/259/259963-2c32d3a3f22af56cc1b713ea7500afbb.jpg

Though the damn thing still cost almost $100

Had one as a Kid from the TV show Combat

I had one back in the late 80's. Took it on a trade for an old motorcycle. It was a lot of fun to shoot. I happened to have half a dozen M3A1 grease gun mags for it. All I had to do was wallow out a small hole in the back for the magazine catch and they worked great. I eventually traded it for another motorcycle. I was young and dumb. Wish I still had it.

I went with this version no tax stamp and cheap ammo still available.View attachment 571165

https://www.northwestfirearms.com/data/attachments/259/259963-2c32d3a3f22af56cc1b713ea7500afbb.jpg

Though the damn thing still cost almost $100

Had one as a Kid from the TV show Combat
Licensed Thompson M1A1 Airsoft AEG Rifle by King Arms / CYMA w/ Metal Receiver & Gearbox (Package: Gun Only)

This was the one I had, only I recall it required .22gr bb's and shot at 425fps... I should find a battery for that thing. :)

A few years back, I was very tempted by the SBR version of the Thompson Auto-Ordnance (Kahr) was putting out. Then I owned a AO M1 Carbine and found it to be an absolutely worthless, dumpster-fire of a rifle. The guys on In Range also made negative comments about the modern Thompson repos (Karl referred to them as, quote, "cancer"). Between those two, I didn't bother.

Original Thompsons are a lot of fun, but are very expensive circa 2019. Good luck.

P.S. I loved watching Combat! reruns as an adolescent. Too much fun. There are a bunch of episodes on Youtube, should one be interested.

I've always liked the look of the originals... just not enough cash for one. As for the quality of the repros? Probably cheap tooling... no reason nowadays with great priced CNC machines that one can't make a nice, smooth version of many classics, and make a lot of money that way as opposed to importing the shoddily built versions...

Who currently owns the license for the original designs? That may be the stumbling block there.

As for the quality of the repros? Probably cheap tooling... no reason nowadays with great priced CNC machines that one can't make a nice, smooth version of many classics, and make a lot of money that way as opposed to importing the shoddily built versions...

True that. I strongly suspect AO's Q&A reported issues are very real. If you get a good one, they're great. If you get a bad one, they won't work for love or money. Mine went back to the factory twice and still wouldn't cycle through a single 15-round magazine with any factory ammo I tried. It was dumped.

Parenthetically, though owned by the same group (Kahr), my experience with a Magnum Research made pistol (Desert Eagle XIX) has been great.

OP: I too grew up always suspecting my life would be better if only I had a drum style Thompson.

It was considerable surprize to learn years later, upon firing a number of variations at the full-auto matches, that I really DIDN'T have a use for one & really DIDN'T like firing or carrying them regardless of configuration.

Of course YMMV.

OP: I too grew up always suspecting my life would be better if only I had a drum style Thompson.

It was considerable surprize to learn years later, upon firing a number of variations at the full-auto matches, that I really DIDN'T have a use for one & really DIDN'T like firing or carrying them regardless of configuration.

Of course YMMV.

You make a good point, @41mag . I don't think my life would be significantly better, or complete, with a Thompson. I just think they're cool. Definitely in the "want" category and not the "need" category.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top