Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Any enfield experts out there?

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by Blane67, Dec 23, 2012.

1. Blane67

Blane67 columbia gorge Active Member

Almost 100% sure I have a real No.5 jungle carbine (fazerkely), electro-stencilled on left side of receiver 8/44, No.5 mk 1 ROF (F), F on bolt. serial no, C59xx. any additional help much appreciated.

2. SAR1846

SAR1846 Oregon Member

Blane,

I also have a No 5., ROF(F) electro penciled, and with a slightly different S/N than yours... B8xx... let me know if you'd like to compare notes/photos. Mine was bought almost 30 years ago.

3. orygun

orygun West Linn Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Post up some pictures, specifically of the action and the rear of the barrel. No5s had some very unique lightening cuts in them.

4. timac

timac Loading Magazines! Well-Known Member

Fazakerley made the No. 5 for sure. Based on the S/N's, both were made between 8/44 to 12/44 when "A" prefix started . Are all stampings and S/N's hard stamped? Electro penciling are usually import
    markings.
    Pictures would also help, as I have a few reference books on the Enfield rifle.

5. Blane67

Sorry gents, I've been plowing snow non stop since posting(even put in around 12hrs. on xmas), I'll try to get a pic or two up tomorrow.

6. renfield

renfield Portland Active Member

ROF (royal Ordnance Factory). The No5 was used up until 1957 and beyond by the British Armed Forced in Borneo, Aden and other post war Colonial conflicts as they dismantled the British Empire. Are there any other markings?

7. renfield

renfield Portland Active Member

Look for proof markings on the bolt, receiver and anything that might be stamped on the muzzle. This should confirm if its genuine.

8. SAR1846

SAR1846 Oregon Member

Early No5's were electropenciled on the side, with the manufacturer, S/N, and date of Mfg. They are not import marks.

* Rear sight should be graduated to 800yds.
    * Lightening cuts are made to the rifle in several places.
    * The bolt should be hollowed out inside the 'ball'
    * A lot of metal should be shaved off on the receiver wall by the rear sight (compared to a No4)

some resources:
    http://candrsenal.com/rifle-lee-enfield-no-5-mki/
    ... google search: no5 jungle carbine

9. Blane67

O.k here's a couple pics. top of barrel stamped- 2.222" .303 BNP(with a crown) 18.5 tons per (with a square symbol), BNP(with a crown) just ahead of receiver(top of barrel), serial# electro pencilled on left side of receiver(with R.O.F and No. 5 mk1 and 8/44), F- stamped on everything- bolt, sights(graduated to 800yds.) barrel knox has lightening cuts, receiver also.

Enfield 3.jpg

Enfield 2.jpg

Enfield.jpg

SAR1846 and (deleted member) like this.
  10. orygun

orygun West Linn Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Yep! Sure looks like the "real thing".

11. timac

timac Loading Magazines! Well-Known Member

Thanks for the information, I learned something new about the NO.5 Enfield.

12. Blane67

Thank you gentlemen, I have done a little more research- looks to be "the real MCcoy"

13. slightly disturbed

slightly disturbed Oregon City Active Member

oh no that thing is just a pile of poo. I would be more than willing to take it off your hands so that you dont have to be burdened with it, :cool: just tryin to help a guy out

orygun and (deleted member) like this.