JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I will not ask the police officers out here to point themselves out, but I would like to thank you and appreciate the job you do. So, thanks guys, it's hard, and we understand. Just have some understanding when you pull me over for doing 72 in a 55?

I will not ask the police officers out here to point themselves out, but I would like to thank you and appreciate the job you do. So, thanks guys, it's hard, and we understand. Just have some understanding when you pull me over for doing 72 in a 55?

17 over. Maybe you should drive the speed limit. You get less tickets that way.

17 over. Maybe you should drive the speed limit. You get less tickets that way.

As much as I respect police officers, I think the speed limits in Oregon and Washington are stupid. Like he highway from Hillsboro to Portland, its nothing but straight emptiness and the speed limit is 55. I hardly see anyone on that freeway during non-traffic hours going anything less than 65. I just think these speed limits are a way to help increase the revenue of the state. In California you can drive 70 in pretty much any rural area and 65 on the non-interstate freeways. The terrain is not all that much different than over here.

As much as I respect police officers, I think the speed limits in Oregon and Washington are stupid. Like he highway from Hillsboro to Portland, its nothing but straight emptiness and the speed limit is 55. I hardly see anyone on that freeway during non-traffic hours going anything less than 65. I just think these speed limits are a way to help increase the revenue of the state. In California you can drive 70 in pretty much any rural area and 65 on the non-interstate freeways. The terrain is not all that much different than over here.

That may be. But cops don't make the law, they enforce it. And just because it's "stupid" doesn't mean you can ignore it.

Unfortunately, laws are intended to increase safety in this perfect World. :s0114: The problem is never with the speed, the weather, the vehicle, but with the driver. Like any hands-on enviroment, we instictively do our thing. War, we train as if it is real;Football, we play and practice for game day, but driving...you never train for that aggressive split second that makes the difference in yours or the other persons life. Your vehicle is a thousand times more dangerous than any gun.

Speed limits suck just like 50% of the drivers out there.

I remember when I was doing my drivers training and studying for my license that OR is a basic rule state, I.E. do not drive faster then conditions permit, conditions be day or night, road surface, weather, etc.. As long as you were not violating the basic rule, speeding was more of an environmental issue. Our freeways are built for comfort and safety at 80 mph+

I also remember getting a speeding ticket in 80 a few days after the Mountain blew up for doing 25 in a thirty on Maple street behind what was K-Mart and Hamby Chevrolet in Hillsboro. There was no traffic and it was daylight on a straight stretch, but I was leaving a dust cloud in my wake.
The LEO said I should of been doing 15 mph or less.

Always hated that ticket, The Local LEO was very unforgiving to the youths at that time.

Interesting, feel sorry for the officers in Oregon who have to enforce the states backward hi-hway speeds, especially coming from states that allow 70 or 75 on thier freeways, then get the Oregon 65. Just like you can't pump your own gas in that state, but that's another story. Just drive the speed limit and contact your state rep to change the speed laws. Bill

Speed laws do suck when you leave WA and cross the bridge into Oregon. WA is not to bad but it drops from 70 to 60 to 55 pretty quick. Oregon I think does it for money. Off topic now but was in military in San Diego and drove back to Chicago and leaving AZ to Texas it went from 75 to 50 and thats a speed trap if you ask me as it's out in the middle of nowhere. Plus Texas has those black and white speed signs which indicate night and day speed limits.

Scott

I also remember getting a speeding ticket in 80 a few days after the Mountain blew up for doing 25 in a thirty on Maple street behind what was K-Mart and Hamby Chevrolet in Hillsboro. There was no traffic and it was daylight on a straight stretch, but I was leaving a dust cloud in my wake.
The LEO said I should of been doing 15 mph or less.

Always hated that ticket, The Local LEO was very unforgiving to the youths at that time.

:s0114::s0114: I got a Ash ticket also living in Vancouver, I wasn't doing anything against the law. All you had to do was move and you created a cloud. That cracked me up reading your post.:s0155:

I really appreciate the good peace officers out there that uphold their oath to the Constitution and those that actually protect and serve - rather than those who threaten and harass. I think there are plenty of good guys out there - it is a damn hard job to deal with bad people day in and day out, deal with violent domestic situations... I appreciate the peace officers who understand when to apply force and when to escalate further.

I also think taserings have become so commonplace that people forget that these things can stop your heart if you have any kind of cardiac abnormality or other health problems.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKcf20TBgqw

This video shows a soccer mom getting tasered for not acting like a good slave. Sure, it was probably stupid for her to get out of her car, but he could have just said, "get back in your car lady" (she actually gets back in her car on her own, then he pulls her out and tasers her). I agree that having a less than lethal option is a good thing, but restraint is needed.

I just hope that I never get this kind of treatment:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZTbJH6BNaU&feature=fvw

It is unfortunate that these people were dealing with "cops" and not "peace officers" - Notice how we don't use that term often these days? So if you are an officer and you are reading this, know that I do appreciate what you do, these are just reminders of what can happen when you forget that you have the power, and the 'good' citizens just want to be dealt with in a fair manner and not be treated like slaves.
---
People react poorly to force when they feel abused or powerless by those who are supposed to protect them.

Just to chime in a bit... We did vote to have our speed limits increased about 3 years ago and they still have yet to reflect that on the freeways. Possibly leading back to either safety or the revenue issue. I choose revenue because if you want to argue safety then you could argue that a bunch of people going slower than everyone else is more of a hazard than just upping the speed limit.

Hey washington has their issues too. How about the stupid 60mph through some of the smaller towns in the state on I-5? Tell me that they didn't do that to make an extra buck on the unsuspecting drivers that were just in a 70mph zone. I-5 could be a 90mph freeway most of the way through oregon and washington.

Stupid drivers should be tested more often and anyone over 55-60 years of age should have to go back and test once a year.

Macbook, You certainly hit the nail on the head for some things, I'm 73 and used to do a lot of sports cars racing and track time, last time out was when I was 70, I can go along that drivers over 65 should be tested about once every two years or so. Being an X racer I can attest to the loose of motor skills and I am very aware of these shortcomings and watch for them, I can say that watching other older people, most do not. I thought Oregon had voted to change those speed limits, so I guess your posting about the revenue is valid, 3 years, was it that long ago, Wow. You have to admit the 65 bit and lower is a little on the backside of things. Bill

I haven't get pull over by any LE since I have my concealed carry. How was your experience? Were you carrying? Did you have a concealed carry permit? If you did, did you tell them that you have a firearm loaded?
Sorry to hi-jack your topic but I really want to know the whole story. If you dont feel like sharing experience in public would you please pm me. Thanks in advance. Benny

I really appreciate the good peace officers out there that uphold their oath to the Constitution and those that actually protect and serve - rather than those who threaten and harass. I think there are plenty of good guys out there - it is a damn hard job to deal with bad people day in and day out, deal with violent domestic situations... I appreciate the peace officers who understand when to apply force and when to escalate further.

I worked for a city for three years and got to know the police officers quite well. I also know a few people at the CCSO... While there are a few "Rambo" style officers out there, a good number of them are normal, sane officers.

After spending many hours listening to stories, watching dashcam videos, going on ride-alongs.... the crud these people have to put up with is amazing.

Flakman, Thanks for your post. I have a suggestion for those concerned with speeding tickets. SLOW DOWN! Comply with the laws and you should be okay. In my 30 years on the road (10 or so in detectives) I've heard a lot of excuses, but seldom a good reason for speeding. The exception being a medical emergency ... maybe.

Of course everyone who has passed the high school driver's ed class thinks they know how to drive. That's like taking a hunter safety class and thinking you are ready for high stress combat. Admittedly driving down Hwy. 26 isn't combat, but it's just as deadly. Slow down and give the rest of us a break.

Flakman, Thanks for your post. I have a suggestion for those concerned with speeding tickets. SLOW DOWN! Comply with the laws and you should be okay. In my 30 years on the road (10 or so in detectives) I've heard a lot of excuses, but seldom a good reason for speeding. The exception being a medical emergency ... maybe.

Of course everyone who has passed the high school driver's ed class thinks they know how to drive. That's like taking a hunter safety class and thinking you are ready for high stress combat. Admittedly driving down Hwy. 26 isn't combat, but it's just as deadly. Slow down and give the rest of us a break.

=====================================================

Are you saying that driving down the Sunset at 72 mph is reckless and unsafe. Not trying to put words in your mouth, I am interested in your opinion.

As someone who has driven hwy 26 almost daily since 1976 it is my opinion that it is not.

I don't remember this thread being about speed...lets stay on track folks.

Excellent reminder. It was also about thanking cops for doing their job right. On that subject, I have this to say:

When cops start apologizing for doing things wrong, I'll start thanking them for doing things right. In the meantime, I'll asssume they think they are omnipotent infallible gods, and in exchange I'll assume they are a danger to our liberty.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top