JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Your discussing the merits of an article that included "
5. Top Pistol Gauge: 9MM"

That's proof right there the writer was totally clueless. No where in 50 years of being around firearms and 48 years of reloading have I ever heard the caliber of a handgun referred to as its GAUGE. Only Shotguns. Heck even Cannons aren't referred to in GAUGE

Carry too much gun, nearly all of the time. If your situation demands a gun, having the right one will dramatically affect your attitude and confidence and therefore the outcome.
Handguns are for the day when trouble is highly unlikely. Shotguns and rifles are for the rest

I carry more gun then I think I will need, just in case I actually need it! I do the full size thing most days, but some days, I prefer a compact in a deep concealed rig! Call me crazy, but I like having just enough over kill handy! Medic! made a great point in another thread that applies here as well, Carry what is comforting, not comfortable! bubblegum to the S/W Shield, My wife has one, and I have used it a few times. Not my thing, but I can see a lot of nube's choosing one!

The real question people should be asking, however, is if in this day and age of mass shootings, terrorist attacks, etc., is a small sub compact single stack pistol enough gun? Is a Shield with its short sight radius the gun you want if you need to take a shot at 25 yards or greater? Is a sub compact single stack the gun you want if you have to go up against multiple assailants who are armed with a rifle? And I realize that no pistol is ideal in these situations. But again, is a single stack sub compact the gun you really want to fight with?

Just something to think about. Everyone is going to have a different answer and some people will feel just fine with a Shield.

May the odds be forever in your favor! :D

I am of the belief that single stack comoacts are something to throw in a pocket or vest for after I've already dumped 46 rounds downrange and things are grim.

Your discussing the merits of an article that included "
5. Top Pistol Gauge: 9MM"

That's proof right there the writer was totally clueless. No where in 50 years of being around firearms and 48 years of reloading have I ever heard the caliber of a handgun referred to as its GAUGE. Only Shotguns. Heck even Cannons aren't referred to in GAUGE
Give him the benefit of the doubt, that maybe he used it in a playful slang like meaning. We could always be more technical as in don't call my revolver a pistol, or my carbine a rifle

The real question people should be asking, however, is if in this day and age of mass shootings, terrorist attacks, etc., is a small sub compact single stack pistol enough gun? Is a Shield with its short sight radius the gun you want if you need to take a shot at 25 yards or greater? Is a sub compact single stack the gun you want if you have to go up against multiple assailants who are armed with a rifle? And I realize that no pistol is ideal in these situations. But again, is a single stack sub compact the gun you really want to fight with?

Just something to think about. Everyone is going to have a different answer and some people will feel just fine with a Shield.

May the odds be forever in your favor! :D

This isn't Jason Bourne. I'd much rather have a rifle, and all my friends with rifles. But if I'm armed with a handgun and facing down multiple rifle armed attackers, I'm not going to kid myself into thinking I'm going to be Jack Bauer and save the day with my handgun or that a Glock 23 will make much more of a difference over a Glock 27. Would just get maimed like the guy who faced down a single attacker who was armed only with an SKS while he himself hand nothing more than a handgun, remember the Tacoma Mall shooting? Don't put yourself in tactically stupid positions, you will live longer.

This isn't Jason Bourne. I'd much rather have a rifle, and all my friends with rifles. But if I'm armed with a handgun and facing down multiple rifle armed attackers, I'm not going to kid myself into thinking I'm going to be Jack Bauer and save the day with my handgun or that a Glock 23 will make much more of a difference over a Glock 27. Would just get maimed like the guy who faced down a single attacker who was armed only with an SKS while he himself hand nothing more than a handgun, remember the Tacoma Mall shooting? Don't put yourself in tactically stupid positions, you will live longer.
You left out dirty Harry sir, lol.
But I agree with your points

Spend the money on the holster and it will fit.
Best ever IMO galco skyops. Super thin. I have 4 of them. One is 10+ years old and still looks great. Horse hide

Hard to beat Galco! :D I also have been using SHTF GEAR brand IWB holsters for three years now! Wear them all day, everyday. Even at home, next to my skin in real hot weather. Never failed me, look like new still. The clips are free replacement for life, HA, my Dodge truck should be so tough

Hard to beat Galco! :D I also have been using SHTF GEAR brand IWB holsters for three years now! Wear them all day, everyday. Even at home, next to my skin in real hot weather. Never failed me, look like new still. The clips are free replacement for life, HA, my Dodge truck should be so tough
I just ordered an iwb from a company called Stoner Holsters. Alot like a galco summer comfort (but the galco isn't available to Lefties) looking forward to getting it.
For my new Perf Center 327 snubbie. in Online pictures their stuff looks amazing especially at $60 for nice leather

I am of the belief that single stack comoacts are something to throw in a pocket or vest for after I've already dumped 46 rounds downrange and things are grim.
i am under the impression that if the first number isnt a 4 or better in caliber I need a real pistol with the 357 mag being the exception.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews