JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm an AK purist so it hurts me to just answer the questions with a one-liner instead of a long drawn out explanation but here we go....

If you just want an off the shelf AK-variant...the Arsenals are regarded as one of the best.
The best you can get in the US is going to be a Rifle Dynamics custom. Expect to pay a pretty penny but they're top notch.

But before diving in and buying an AK-variant...do some homework. There are tons of variants out there. More than your typical gun guy is even aware of. (this is not a cheap shot at anyone)
The knowledge will come in handy when you need to order replacement parts or upgrade and customize your rifle. AKM's are not one-size fits all. They are not like AR's...they are meant to fit a particular AK-variant style.

You said you're wanting something "Soviet style" in the OP, and being a (not so cold) Cold War warrior that means something to my mind. Keep in mind that the Soviet Union doesn't exist (on paper) anymore, and that it was comprised of multiple countries who made AKM's under license and put their own subtle (and not so subtle) twist on their specimens. You should approach this on "country of manufacture" aspect, rather than "soviet" manufacture.

I prefer the aesthetics of the old style slant (and IMHO svelte) profile gas blocks over the new style "square" profile gas blocks. I own two WASR-10/63 AKM's one I bought NIB that suffered no QC issues whatsoever other than a Tapco side-folder that was replaced with an ACE, and shoots amazingly accurate. The other I obtained in a trade and it required a smidgen of TLC to align the gas block (because I'm OCD that way), but is a solid shooter and wears the Romanian "dong" furniture. I also own two DRACO's (one is SBR'd) that are awesome.

My NIB WASR-10/63 wearing wood furniture and ACE side-folder:
image.jpg

Here it is in its final iteration with black KVAR furniture:
image.jpg

Here's my other (WIP) WASR-10/63 that I named "the donger" (for obvious reasons). That foregrip is amazingly comfortable.
image.jpg

The SBR'd DRACO
image.jpg

The bone stock DRACO that I use in the as a PDW in the woods.
image.jpg

Having said all that, Chinese made magazines and Poly-Tech AKM's are THE best made..... period.
image.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/user/AkOperatorsUnion

Go to the union and educate yourself.

Arsenal brings in great Bulgarian rifles.
DDI makes a quality AK.
If you can find a newer WASR 10, it can be a quality deal.
If money is no object take a look at Rifle Dynamics they make some outstanding variants.

I had an opportunity to train with the Russians back in 2007 when I was stationed in Germany. We saw some AN-94's and a whole lot of AK-103's and 104's.

I'm building my own Russian Alpha clone in 7.62 Vickers did an awesome report on his trip to Russia and put this together.

If money isn't an issue, go to rifle dynamics and you can get yourself a beauty.

If you don't want to go that far, I'd say arsenal. Some love CAI but I'm not a fan. I hear good stuff about the C39V2 but again..... not a fan of CAI and after the way they treated me, I shall vote with my money and not support them.

Currently I have my M10 and she has never let me down.... 1500+ rounds and not a single malfunction. I think as long as the AK is made/assambled by someone who truly knows how to build one and the parts are not defective, you are good to go. Personally I like AK rifles that are made from new parts and chrome lined.

Whatever you get, post pics so we can drool lol

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top