JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
What kills ammunition:
  • Excessive heat. It breaks down the effectiveness of powder and primers.
  • Large temperature swings. Same as above but faster.
  • Humidity and moisture. Will show up as corrosion.
Store your ammo in ammo cans. Doesn't matter if the cans are metal or plastic so long as they seal. You can even use tupperware. Doesn't matter if the ammo is loose or still in the box. You can also take some silica gel packs and heat them at low temps in the oven to dry them out and toss one in each can for added protection.

Store them inside your house where the temperature will be reasonable. Cool but not cold is optimal. Room temp is just fine.

That was my main concern.
Even if it did get hot it probably is still fine. Think of all the ammo that still worked in the Boer wars and when the British were in control of India and such places. That was made from older materials that weren't as high quality. I'm pretty sure their ammo dumps weren't climate-controlled. I don't think it would be dangerous to try a few out.

Shot WWI 8mm ammo, was fine, some brass had cracks in their neck which I pulled the bullets and powder from and reloaded in a new case, but never had any problems till I ran out of ammo which was 1 cent a round.

If it works it works.
However, heat is what degrades powder more rapidly.
Nothing much hotter than an Arizona garage.
We found a couple of crates of 7.62x39 ammo in Helmand provance, Afghanistan. Most likely left over from the Russian war as it was marked 1979. We used it for FamFire in many of the weapons we "found". I don't think we had a dud in the bunch.

Afghanistan might get close to being as hot as an Arizona garage, maybe!
YMMV

As an update, I ended up deciding to go to the range to use most of this up. My OCD hates loose and old rounds. Everything functioned perfectly, thank you guys!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top