JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi all!

My grandfather recently passed away and I inherited what can only be described as antique ammunition (some 22lr, 25acp, .38 "wadcutters", - all appear to be from the 70's and a myriad of shotgun ammunition that looks to be from the mid 90's). My guess is that I don't need to worry about any catastrophic failures, just maybe some duds, but I did want to see if I could tap your collective knowledge on whether or not I would be better off just disposing of it.

On that last note, does anyone have any ideas on what the responsible way to dispose of unwanted ammunition is?

This ammo sat in a garage in Arizona for who knows how long, until making its way to spend the last 5 years in the PNW.

Should be fine to shoot.

To dispose of, find a reloader. They'll most likely be very happy to take the cartridges off your hands.

This word "antique", I don't think you know what it means. 70's ammunition is far from antique. Now if you inherited some ammo from the 10's and 20's or even old ammo loaded with cordite from the 30's then you might have some concern.

70's and stored in the Arizona heat, your good to go! Come to think about it, I have a case of 38spl wadcutters that I believe I bought around 1978 or 79 that are still in an ammo can out in the garage. Just never got around to taking them out to the range.

You should be just fine to fire them or sell them as you like.

My buddy and I shot some of his father's 40 year old .357 last fall, It all shot fine in spite of being stored in a desk drawer for four decades.

I also think they are okay to shoot unless you see visible corrosion or some other concern.
If you want to dispose of them, local law enforcement would be of help (I think they would let you drop them off there).

I'd shoot it if it looks good. If they are reloads, I'd pull the bullets, dump the powder, and reload it with a known powder. Good luck, welcome to the board.

The way I keep my ammo is in a 50 cal ammo can and when the level gets below the half way point I fill it up again. I'll bet there is some 45 Colt ammo in the bottom of it's can from the 1980's and it'll shoot just fine.

Hi all!

My grandfather recently passed away and I inherited what can only be described as antique ammunition (some 22lr, 25acp, .38 "wadcutters", - all appear to be from the 70's and a myriad of shotgun ammunition that looks to be from the mid 90's). My guess is that I don't need to worry about any catastrophic failures, just maybe some duds, but I did want to see if I could tap your collective knowledge on whether or not I would be better off just disposing of it.

On that last note, does anyone have any ideas on what the responsible way to dispose of unwanted ammunition is?

This ammo sat in a garage in Arizona for who knows how long, until making its way to spend the last 5 years in the PNW.
If It looks okay and it is well stored try to shoot it up. I have paper shotshells from the 40's and 50's from my gramps and they still shoot fine. If it fits it ships right down the barrel.

shelflife.jpg

The more ammunition on the shelf, the shorter the shelf life, especially if there is an earthquake. Add some supports in the middle.

:)

Bruce

I watched a video where some WWI 45ACP were shot through a chronograph with minimal loss of velocity. I've shot Malaysian 7.62 from 1978 with no problem.

If anything it will be fine or slightly underpowered. Keep an eye out for squibs and enjoy shooting!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top