JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Reactions
The other day, a member who has sold a fair amount of stuff put some ammo on the board. Now my guess, from looking at his posts is that he is probably a pretty good guy. He was asking quite a bit for his "plinking" ammo and I had commented in the thread that he was asking 50 cents a round for plinking ammo. He sent me a pm and asked me to remove my post and to stop "thread crapping". He asked nicely, so no complaints with his pm at all. It just got me to thinking about what the appropriate response is to all of this stuff going on. His feeling was that it is his right to ask whatever he wants for something that he owns and that my only right is to ignore it if I don't like the price. I guess that where my whole confusion comes in is that under normal circumstances I agree with him. But are these really normal circumstances. I am so tired of going into BiMart (like I did yesterday) to find 15 people in line waiting ammo to come in. In groups, not alone. I stood and listened to them. Most of them were there to buy up anything that came in to resell and came in with friends as a team. Only a couple of us were there because we actually needed a particular ammo to go shoot. Same thing at Walmart, Fred Meyers, etc., etc. Just saw a thread on another forum where a guy recognizes a guy as a dealer and see him in line at Walmart with several friends. .22LR comes in and each one of the guys buys everything he is allowed to. It runs out before all the guys waiting can even get to it. He follows the guys out to their cars and sees the dealers friends all give the dealer the ammo they bought, then later sees it on the dealers shelves, with price jacked up. Several of the guys that I saw in BiMart were from the east side and this was a very west side store that I was in. Every sporting clerk that I have spoken to says ammo comes in, but there is always a line and it never lasts more than a few minutes. So it just seems to me that this has nothing to do with the free market system working. It has to do with profiteers messing up an entire supply line for everyone. So, is it really wrong to point them out in the classifieds at this point and hopefully bring it to new peoples attention that these are the guys that have the ammo supply so messed up that it is going to take months to get it straight, if not more. It is not hard to find ammo. I can buy all that I would ever need. I just have to buy it through the profiteers around here. Personally, I like to see the group start to jump on these aholes and put a stop to this crap.

The other day, a member who has sold a fair amount of stuff put some ammo on the board. Now my guess, from looking at his posts is that he is probably a pretty good guy. He was asking quite a bit for his "plinking" ammo and I had commented in the thread that he was asking 50 cents a round for plinking ammo. He sent me a pm and asked me to remove my post and to stop "thread crapping". He asked nicely, so no complaints with his pm at all. It just got me to thinking about what the appropriate response is to all of this stuff going on. His feeling was that it is his right to ask whatever he wants for something that he owns and that my only right is to ignore it if I don't like the price. I guess that where my whole confusion comes in is that under normal circumstances I agree with him. But are these really normal circumstances. I am so tired of going into BiMart (like I did yesterday) to find 15 people in line waiting ammo to come in. In groups, not alone. I stood and listened to them. Most of them were there to buy up anything that came in to resell and came in with friends as a team. Only a couple of us were there because we actually needed a particular ammo to go shoot. Same thing at Walmart, Fred Meyers, etc., etc. Just saw a thread on another forum where a guy recognizes a guy as a dealer and see him in line at Walmart with several friends. .22LR comes in and each one of the guys buys everything he is allowed to. It runs out before all the guys waiting can even get to it. He follows the guys out to their cars and sees the dealers friends all give the dealer the ammo they bought, then later sees it on the dealers shelves, with price jacked up. Several of the guys that I saw in BiMart were from the east side and this was a very west side store that I was in. Every sporting clerk that I have spoken to says ammo comes in, but there is always a line and it never lasts more than a few minutes. So it just seems to me that this has nothing to do with the free market system working. It has to do with profiteers messing up an entire supply line for everyone. So, is it really wrong to point them out in the classifieds at this point and hopefully bring it to new peoples attention that these are the guys that have the ammo supply so messed up that it is going to take months to get it straight, if not more. It is not hard to find ammo. I can buy all that I would ever need. I just have to buy it through the profiteers around here. Personally, I like to see the group start to jump on these aholes and put a stop to this crap.

I feel your pain. Scalpers have been profiting from the shortage and have been making it worse by their hording and cornering of the market. It's not just dealers, there are forum members who are long standing that are also doing it under a new forum id.

The only advise I have is to learn from the experience. Today they are scalping ammo, one day it will be food. Think things are bad now because you can't go out and shoot? What will it be like when your loved ones are hungry and some jackwad is selling beans at an ounce of gold per.

I believe that not letting people post whatever prices they want goes against the First Amendment. Who am I to police sellers, organize "cartels" and tell people what to do with their property? I am not doing that at car dealerships, I am not going to start it here.

Flaming shuns both bad and good sellers out, sends them to GunBroker / ArmsList, reduces the number of classifieds and therefore competition on this website.

My stance is simple: if the price is too high, I am not buying. Let them all post, and let the free market do what it should.

Don't crap in selling threads. Just don't pay stupid prices. If people are willing to pay those prices, you crapping in the thread wont change that, they know what they are paying. But sooner rather than later (I hope), people will have what they deem "enough," especially at these prices, and those profiteering jackwads will be stuck with a huge pile of ammo they can't sell for a profit. Kind of like what's starting to happen with the ARs. Prices are coming back down and availability is coming up.

I don't consider it crapping if I make an offer on the selling thread. I think that is fine. I did that with someone who was selling an AR lower for $300 more than it was worth. I made an offer of what I thought it was worth. The seller then accused me of crapping because I offered him what I thought it was worth and stated that I had just purchased two a couple of weeks prior for the amount I was offering.

I will rephrase it. Not worth my effort to get past the first couple lines.

Hmm. Funny funny guy. With all the issues around all you can do is worry about paragraphs. Oh, that and 22 year olds. You be the grammar police. I'll be the price police and together we pretty much got it all covered. I love it when things work out so well.

I like that the stores are limiting purchase amounts in order to spread it around but what they really need to do is to start randomizing shelf stocking, that way the scalpers can't line up and snag it all on delivery day.

Don't like the price they're asking? Then move along, posting to their thread that they're asking too much is "thread crapping".

And how many threads like this have we already had?

Don't like the price they're asking? Then move along, posting to their thread that they're asking too much is "thread crapping".

I don't know, I don't read them all. But I suspect quite a few because it is a matter of interest to an awful lot of folks. Don't like the question I'm asking? Then move along.

Netspirit said:
I believe that not letting people post whatever prices they want goes against the First Amendment. Who am I to police sellers, organize "cartels" and tell people what to do with their property? I am not doing that at car dealerships, I am not going to start it here.

Flaming shuns both bad and good sellers out, sends them to GunBroker / ArmsList, reduces the number of classifieds and therefore competition on this website.

My stance is simple: if the price is too high, I am not buying. Let them all post, and let the free market do what it should.

...Ah, but it's not a "free market" anymore.

As the OP says, there's a small number of people actively engaged in preventing ammo being available at "normal" prices to the vast majority of us shooters.
They can, naturally, post whatever price they want but, as their douche actions are preventing many of us from enjoying shooting, i don't see the harm calling them out as massive douches, unless we're all touchy feely about their feelings suddenly....

If I had a lot of ammo now I would keep most of it. After the last shortage you would think people would have bought a little extra when it was easy to get.

SIMPLE follow the forum rules.

1. No threadcrapping. If you dislike like something about the ad, ignore it. If you spot blatant misrepresentation, an illegal ad, etc. please notify a moderator.

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads