JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
From what I have seen lately, it's almost impossible to buy ammo at shows for less than Bi-Mart prices. At the last show I went to, and it may be my LAST gun show ever, they were selling junk ammo for steep prices. I finally found some 9mm JHP for a decent price, but the rest of it was COMPLETELY overpriced, and a lot of it was Russian made crap.

Frankly, there wasn't a bargain to be had in the whole place, with some very un-special firearms going (but mostly not going) for ridiculous prices. The $60 Savage semi-auto .22 LR junker for $160 was a good example. I sold two of those to Gun Broker for $25 for the pair and felt like I cheated them. I saw numerous guns that I have owned in the past, or own now, offered at 50% to 100% above what I know they are worth. A 1903 Colt .32ACP for "only" $1050? Really? Mine's worth ~$500 and it's in better shape. I think I'm probably done with gun shows for good.

I actually have more of an issue with price gouging than scalping. During the last crunch a LGS wanted twice what ammo was worth. I remembered that store and never went back even after the crunch was over.

I actually have more of an issue with price gouging than scalping. During the last crunch a LGS wanted twice what ammo was worth. I remembered that store and never went back even after the crunch was over.

Agreed.

Store gouging is difficult to get around if they all set a price.

Scalpers sometimes make money and sometimes loose money or break even minus all their time, it's up to the buyer at that point though and you can haggle.

I've heard vendors at gun shows bragging about getting $90 per brick but everything they have on their table is the same price method but he seems to be doing OK so what's to be done, don't buy. The whole downer is those folks do more business on the net than at gun shows. The same principal is put into play when the hock shops buy guns for two bits on the dollar, ( I used to work in a shop like that) and then take them to gun shows and flood the show with the used guns they buy from desperate people. Them and Kieth's pretty much ruin things for the hobby dealer that sets up at shows to try and score a piece for their collection. The vultures and bottom feeders are all among us, it's up to us to curtail these things by not patronizing them but I don't think it will have much impact.

I don't care who they are - gouger, scalper, pawn shop, the Pope, whatever - if they are charging ridiculous prices I don't do business with them.

If some idiot panics and pays their prices then that is on that idiot, not me. Yes, it may drive up the price, but eventually the idiots run out of money and the scalpers are left with ammo they paid too much for. If they want to get all of their friends and family together and pay for a table at a gun show to make minimum wage selling their booty, then that is their right. Not worth it to me.

It's the free market. Either one supports the free market, or one supports something else (government regulated market e.g. fascism, communism, etc.)

The free market does not guarantee stupid won't happen. That's with us no matter what market mechanism is in place.

It's the free market. Either one supports the free market, or one supports something else (government regulated market e.g. fascism, communism, etc.)

The free market does not guarantee stupid won't happen. That's with us no matter what market mechanism is in place.
It's kinda like the war on drugs
If there wasn't a buyer it wouldn't be available

The only thing that can be done is for a good guy(s) to buy the supply and sell them for cost plus tax at the shows
Are YOU game? If not don't complain

Getting side-tracked on free market capitalism has nothing to do with it. I'm talking about common decency vs. profiteering. As usual, some try to read too much into a basic post pointing out a problem. I'm in favor of the retail market working for all of us, not just some. I don't pay no f**king sales taxes, and I will complain all I want to. Or, should I get clearance from you first?

Getting side-tracked on free market capitalism has nothing to do with it. I'm talking about common decency vs. profiteering. As usual, some try to read too much into a basic post pointing out a problem. I'm in favor of the retail market working for all of us, not just some. I don't pay no f**king sales taxes, and I will complain all I want to. Or, should I get clearance from you first?
I think it's sooo cute when adults? get rattled at someone's post that wasn't directed,directly at them. Kinda 4yo cute:p

As recent as this time last year, I was still able to get 500+ round bricks for under $25 apiece on Cabelas site when it came in stock. I haven't bought any since it went over the $25 mark, and nowadays I see it at $34.99 and laugh.... I used to pick up bricks here and there when they were $10-12 back in 2005 . . . every once in awhile I go into a Wallymart and find some for under $25, so I pick up some more. . If we could just get people to quit buying at the secondary market . . . :mad:

I'm in NC and went to a LGS, the only 500 round brick they had was in a Winchester wooden box. I look at it as the GBTC (guy behind the counter) said it's a nice box, even has dovetail joints. $47.99 was the price tag, I said no thanks but the GBTC repeatedly kept saying "but it's a nice box".... as I strode away shaking my head....

Ooh! I wanna play 'Back in the day'!

We used to go to GI Joe's where Chucks is in Cascade Park on the way up to larch - when you could still shoot in a lot of places before they paved the road and moved shooters further out.

800 round brick were $4.99 on sale $6-7 not on sale. Can't ever remember buying more then 2 bricks at a time and picked them from a pallet 5' tall of cases of the stuff.

Prices are going up on it all. 10 years from now when the plinking grade .22lr is $50+ for 500 rounds this will be the good'ol days...

The story I posted above, the guy bought those blazer bricks for 15 bucks. A year later we were paying 18 bucks for the cheap I Remington crap.
Then ya gotta mark them up
Like I have said before,when the public is buying the ammo for exorbanant prices at the shows,eventually the ammo companies hear about it. I mean,come on,those guys go to gun shows too.
Why wouldn't they raise the store's cost? Why give the gun show guys the profits?

I have more .22 then God and no plans to sell any of it. I quit buying 9 months or so ago. I spent hours in lines day after day to buy 1 box at a time and stopping at every store I drove by. I put in the effort to get what I have and I'm no gouging any one. No one is stopping you from putting in the effort also.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top