JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Would it really be that difficult to get the Classifieds under control? Seems they're totally cluttered by ancient ads posted by "members" that haven't been logged on in a year or more. Or it's an item that's been sold/traded, the poster says it's gone, but they never bothered to close the ad. Almost as aggravating, ads listed as for sale or trade, but then says no trades in the body of the ad. All of these tend to render the filters nearly useless, post a specific search for something, get 5 pages of results, but only a tiny percentage are actually still available.

I realize the Classifieds are a benefit to forum members, but if the software can be set to limit bumping an ad, why can't it also deal with stale ads, or ads by members that have come and gone, apparently only bothering to join so they can sell something, then leaving their trash behind when it's gone? This is my primary forum, and I've bought, sold, and traded a fair number of guns here, but this is really frustrating. And yes, I know about the report button, and I use it, but it would be a full time job just clearing out the ads over a year old, or with OP's that haven't been on in a year. Rant over (for now), and if I violated a rule or stepped on some toes, my apologies. Later.

Dave

Would it really be that difficult to get the Classifieds under control? Seems they're totally cluttered by ancient ads posted by "members" that haven't been logged on in a year or more. Or it's an item that's been sold/traded, the poster says it's gone, but they never bothered to close the ad. Almost as aggravating, ads listed as for sale or trade, but then says no trades in the body of the ad. All of these tend to render the filters nearly useless, post a specific search for something, get 5 pages of results, but only a tiny percentage are actually still available.

I realize the Classifieds are a benefit to forum members, but if the software can be set to limit bumping an ad, why can't it also deal with stale ads, or ads by members that have come and gone, apparently only bothering to join so they can sell something, then leaving their trash behind when it's gone? This is my primary forum, and I've bought, sold, and traded a fair number of guns here, but this is really frustrating. And yes, I know about the report button, and I use it, but it would be a full time job just clearing out the ads over a year old, or with OP's that haven't been on in a year. Rant over (for now), and if I violated a rule or stepped on some toes, my apologies. Later.

Dave
Reported.

Lulz

Dave
I frequently go through old ads and report ones that appear abandoned. The mods usually respond pretty quickly. If others did this more often, it would help get things cleaned up. New classifieds are coming so I doubt Joe wants to invest much time tweaking the current system.

I frequently go through old ads and report ones that appear abandoned. The mods usually respond pretty quickly. If others did this more often, it would help get things cleaned up. New classifieds are coming so I doubt Joe wants to invest much time tweaking the current system.
2k7w14.jpg

How does one, become a janitor?

Yep, it takes 2 seconds to report.

How many pages back does a person need to got to find these derelict ads?
Or, how many great deals does one find going back 11-12... pages? I don't know. I don't go back that far.

I rarely hit page 3.

I did, one time, go all the way back to the last page and try working forward .

Rather pointless.
Just for gits and shiggles I cruised back to page 11. Those ads are only about 20 days back! That's not a lot. So page 13 had expensive powder that hasn't sold, or been bumped in a long time.

My Argentine brass ad will go back 4 pages in a week, or a little over, if I forget to bump.

Dave
Well, I am alive and kickin.... Saunder over to my add section and clean me out.... I will not mind! ;)

I think Joe has done as reasonable a job as likely possible. Pretty hard to control selfish and thoughtless curds with programs. The world definitely has no shortage of them. Usually just keeps making things more complicated. I signed up on a no call list many years ago with absolutely no results for me. Craig's list has time limits of posting forcing listers to reactivate which is good. But then there is a limit on multiples of the same ad which is good too, though it doesn't seem to stop many from having a hundred ads for the same thing. Thankfully that has only happened a few times here.
I usually go the same route of @Knobgoblin and just peruse a few pages unless I'm really, really, bored .

My issue was less about the current ads, I was referring to the pages of stuff that come up on a filtered search. As an example, I did a recent search for anything .45 ACP for trade, active ads only. Think it came up with 5 pages that met my search criteria, of which only 4 or 5 on the first page were less than a year old, some older, and many were posted by folks that haven't been seen since they posted, and never posted anything but that one ad. Yeah, when just cruising the classifieds, I'll go back as far as 5 pages, after that things start getting too old, or I get bored. But it seems a lot of folks drop in just to try and sell something, then never come back but leave their dead ad behind to clutter up searches. Reminds me of another forum I used to belong too, guys would have all their guns listed in their sig line, so guess what would come up every time you did a search :mad:. Later.

Dave

I think their should be a limit on number of open ads per member, say 3-5 per catagory, it would encourage people to close old ads, and take care of these clowns that make an individual ad for EVERY. SINGLE. tiny piece they have for sale, that literally take up a whole first page when they do their weekly bump.

An auto close after a couple weeks of no activity would be nice too.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top