JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm 27 now, but when I was 18 I got caught with 1 gram of marijuana in MA. I wasn't arrested or convicted but did have to go to court. My court ruling was nolo contendre or continued without a finding (and it would be removed from my record) so long as I completed 6 months of probation without any issues which I did successfully. When I was 24 or so again in MA, I was involved in an accident, found not at fault but I did have a Marijuana roach in my car and was given a $100 ticket for it. At the time it wasn't illegal in MA, but not legal either.

Other than that the only legal issue I've had was misdemeanor disorderly conduct for telling a group of police officers to get up and stop a fight that they were just watching. I was arrested, spent about 4 hours in holding, In court I was told to pay a $140 fine.

I know you guys obviously can't give me a definitive yes or no answer, but do I have a chance to buy a handgun in WA state?

Also any good recommendations for a cheap ($3-400 hand gun)? I'm looking for something that's accurate, reliable, durable (as I hope to use it for open carry until I get my Utah and Florida concealed carry permit) so it'll basically be always on me. Main reason I want it is for self defense. Earlier this week at 130am someone broke into my house, luckily the simple alarm scared them but with the weather improving the hoodlums seem to be more active. It'd be my main gun though, used in target practice mostly.

I'd prefer a gun that I can take to the range without spending a buck per round, but of course it does need to have a good stopping power. A bit heavy would be good so there's less recoil thus improving accuracy if god forbid multiple shots are required. I do go camping a lot in northern ID/cougar country so something with the ability to take one down in a few shots is ideal.

Thanks and sorry if I'm long winded.

Last Edited:
I'll let someone else try to figure out whether you are eligible or not. Keep in mind that being disqualified for marijuana use still applies in spite of WA recreational use law. As you presumably reside in WA state are you aware that you will need a WA State CPL to conceal carry here? Reciprocity with Utah (Or any other state) only applies if you are not a resident of Washington.

And for the record I have not used or been associated with any drugs in just under 3 years. Marijuana was the only drug I ever took and I was never an addict. I would partake 2 or 3 times a year with friends. The roach in my car came from a friend and I smoking before a party that I forgot about.

I really hope I didn't screw myself because of 3 stupid but harmless incidents.

Good to know about also needing the WA CPL. It was my understanding that since the Utah/Florida permits included WA residents could also carry. but thinking about it that makes sense, the 35 state CPL is so you can safely travel without needing to get a license in every state.

I'm looking more for specific models rather than calibers.

Maybe this will help.

4473 question 11e "Are you an unlawful user of, or addicted to, marijuana or any depressant, stimulant, narcotic drug, or any other controlled substance?
Here's what the ATF regulations say (27 CFR 478.11):....Unlawful user of or addicted to any controlled substance. A person who uses a controlled substance and has lost the power of self-control with reference to the use of controlled substance; and any person who is a current user of a controlled substance in a manner other than as prescribed by a licensed physician. Such use is not limited to the use of drugs on a particular day, or within a matter of days or weeks before, but rather that the unlawful use has occurred recently enough to indicate that the individual is actively engaged in such conduct. A person may be an unlawful current user of a controlled substance even though the substance is not being used at the precise time the person seeks to acquire a firearm or receives or possesses a firearm. An inference of current use may be drawn from evidence of a recent use or possession of a controlled substance or a pattern of use or possession that reasonably covers the present time, e.g., a conviction for use or possession of a controlled substance within the past year; multiple arrests for such offenses within the past 5 years if the most recent arrest occurred within the past year; or persons found through a drug test to use a controlled substance unlawfully, provided that the test was administered within the past year....
Since marijuana is a Schedule I controlled substance under the federal Controlled Substances Act, any use at all, even under a state medical marijuana program, is an unlawful use under federal law. So anyone who uses marijuana is a prohibited person under federal law (18 USC 922(g)(3)).

yea, I knew of the ATF's standing of people with medicinal cards which is what made me think I may be disqualified. But it's been 3 almost 4 years since the roach incident, and almost 10 since the other.. so I think I'll be okay.

I just wanted a consensus. thank you all.

Your going to need to apply for your Washington Carry permit if you are a Washington resident. Also the best person to talk about your eligibility would be a lawyer that specializes in the restoration of rights.
With you budget of $400 your going to need to shop for a used gun. Look for a used Glock 19, 23, 26, 27 or a used compact springfield xd or Smith and wesson M&P. If your set on buying a new gun I would look into a Ruger lc9 or Smith and wesson M&P Shield.

I'll pass on presidency. Glock 23 is one of my top contenders. I like how it doesn't have a traditional safety. I'm left handed, and I know for the most part lefty's don't have much problem, but if it came down to it I'd hate to hit the magazine release or not be able to get the safety off. Don't think it ever will come down to it, but best to pray for sunshine and prepare for rain.

Firarms training is a definite. I was raised with guns, and first job was target puller but I've never been fully trained, and am mostly experienced in rifles.

Good to know about also needing the WA CPL. It was my understanding that since the Utah/Florida permits included WA residents could also carry. but thinking about it that makes sense, the 35 state CPL is so you can safely travel without needing to get a license in every state.

I'm looking more for specific models rather than calibers.

Unfortunately, Florida does not recognize Washington State CPL anymore and Washington State does not recognize Florida Concealed Carry anymore.

Can't comment on your legal issue, but a gun that is cheap, accurate, reliable, durable, inexpensive to shoot and with the ability to defeat mountain lions in a shot or two? Not sure something like that exists, you'll have to compromise somewhere. If you are serious about defending yourself against those sorts of animals than you'd need something like a .44 or .357, which are not the cheapest to feed.

I'll pass on presidency. Glock 23 is one of my top contenders. I like how it doesn't have a traditional safety. I'm left handed, and I know for the most part lefty's don't have much problem, but if it came down to it I'd hate to hit the magazine release or not be able to get the safety off. Don't think it ever will come down to it, but best to pray for sunshine and prepare for rain.

Firarms training is a definite. I was raised with guns, and first job was target puller but I've never been fully trained, and am mostly experienced in rifles.

Glock 23 would be an excellent choice for a ccw pistol! Matter of fact, my EDC is a glock 23 gen 4 with 165 gr HST's. Absolutely love it.

get your MA police report or pay to get your FBI background check run...

that way you can see what shows up and whether or not those will likely flag you in the NICS database.. just because they said it would get removed doesn't mean a clerk actually got around to removing it from the database..

<broken link removed>

Understanding your rights comes first, they are your first line of defense in any situation. Use your mind first, then your body.

Most situations can be resolved without the use of deadly force, Read State Law ( its listed on the net ), Federal Law (same). Then look at getting some serious training. Speak with an attorney, never give all credit to the Local Police or some hearsay.

Do your research here this place is a wealth of knowledge and learn to decipher the Truth. That is of most importance.

Read, Read, Read, again...you do not wish to lose those rights if you have to fight legally to regain them. Responsibility is the main theme here.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top