JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Even though I have not been able to buy or find .22LR since the Panic I figure I have enough to spare to burn several hundreds rounds....I don't have enuff trigger time on the EBR I built so I am considering .22 conversion kits.

Any sage advice, informed opinions or just plain knee jerk overreactions would be appreciated.

Brutus Out

Well I am going to have to assume at this point you have an AR since you don't say what you have.

You basically have 3 choices on what to do. Drop in conversion, Complete upper, or complete gun.

Drop in is probably the cheapest and they do work well. The bit I have read does say after X number of round you need to put some "normal" ammo though it to clean out the gas system. Also the barrel diameter is slightly larger then the bullet. I have heard they are reasonably accurate but not as much as a dedicated barrel (again I have no first hand experiences).

When did mine I went with a dedicated upper, well built a whole gun as option 3 was not around at the time. I still think I would choose this option over a complete gun as it still leaves me with a "real" AR lower. I have a CMMG and love it. Controls are all the same except there is no last round bolt hold open. CMMG does make an adapter and a special follower that has this feature, I didn't have much luck with it. I did keep the BHO adapter in since I can still manually operate it. Unless they have changed something, you can not use the BDM 50rd drums with the BHO adapter in.

Last, as stated you can buy a whole gun. Just about everyone makes one now. The nice thing about most of these is that all the controls function the same as the real gun. There are a few different magazine styles out there, I would look for one that is compatible with BDM as they are very reliable and common. Down side to these is they will only ever be .22 as they are non-standard lowers.

I know what EBR means. But I have many EBR that are not AR........

Like I said the advantage to the "built" AR clones is they function exactly like the real thing. With the drop in conversion or even dedicated upper you lose some features so it is not a cross over for training.

This is my CMMG dedicated unit. It is a real AR in all aspects, just chambered in .22. No different then an AR chambered in any of the 50+ other calibers they come in. I have AR's in 4 calibers and fed 4 different ways, AR mags, Glock mags, BDM mags, belt fed.

DSC_0004-4.jpg

CMMG .22lr upper FTW. I have one and I love it. Order some magazines from Black Dog Machine and you're good to go. A bonus is that the overall length is a bit shorter than a "normal" 16" AR because the chamber protrudes back into the upper receiver a bit. It ends up being about the same length as a 'real' M4 with the 14.5" barrel.

I agreee with what others have suggested, the CMMG .22lr upper uses a good quality, reliable barrel with a reputation for providing great accuracy. CMMG has their new RKM7 KeyMod free floating hand guards available now...nice improvement on the previous handguard options IMO. <broken link removed>

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top