JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
"I think some try to over do what an AK is meant to be."
True statement.

"Irons work, AKs work...they aren't ment to be pretty, just rugged."
I think this was part of the original equation. :lol:

I don't understand a lot of the tacticool stuff either. I run irons on my AR...
Now am I a crack shot? Nah. Am I a passable shot at the reasonable distances I would expect to use a defensive carbine? Sure. Thing is, I am also out of practice. Marksmanship is a perishable skill. I'm pretty solid with a pistol, at pistol ranges. Pretty solid with a rifle at around 100 yards and in. Need more range time, and a range where I can shoot farther out, and perhaps one that won't freak out if I fire more than 1 shot every 2 seconds. I am pretty sure that I could outpace that with my Enfield.

It just depends on the purpose for the specific caliber.
If you like a tiny little bullet that goes real real fast and gets deterred by a stud in a wall, or some steel in a car door that doesn't fully penetrate well then yeah, Grab an AR. If you THINK you're going to be able to pick off "paper enemies" one by one and have perfect weather conditions where cleaning time is readily available and no real dirt can eeever get into your chamber then yeah, Grab an AR.
If you were going to put a bunch of garbage on my rig that makes my little black rifle look tacticool and then just shoot from a bench, well then yeah; I'd grab an AR..
If you were really into bashing cheaper rifles just because you was insecure about how much you spent on an aluminum piece of crap that is now retrofitting designs from a much better rifle(s) and really just does the same thing as inexpensive rifles then yeah, Grab an AR.

I'm not a real fan of the AK 74 (5.45x39), but heck.. an AKM is an AKM so I've got one.
And it sure beats the heck out of an AR..

Aaaand just because the number of AKMs in my safes outnumber my Pistols, Rifles and Shotguns doesn't make me biased..
:)

I love how I can purchase two rifles for your ONE and mine will last longer.. And its cheaper to feed. My .30 cal SBR is better than your 5.56 SBR.
I like my women; Simple, Cheap, Ugly and Reliable.

I own a couple of Ak's a couple of SKS, and a few Ar15', a FAL. You really have to look at the design. All of these guns have been built for a purpose. None of them are made to be "sniper" rifles. I would guess that if you entered a Ford tempo into a hill climbing challenge or a tractor pull it probably would not fair as well as a big 4wd truck or a tractor. So I miss the point of this. I like my Ak's but they are sloppy. They were produced out of stamped out materials at a rate of a few thousand an hour. With the intent of throwing a bunch of lead in a general direction. The Ar has the same design but the tighter tolerances inherently make it a little bit more accurate. If you want MOA at 500 yards build a good turn bolt and take the time to learn how to use it.

If you get a decent AK, not a cheap POS, and you have the ability to shoot, they are not a bad battle rifle. I don't use optics on mine, and if you are talking man size targets, I can hit almost every time in prone off irons at 300m. Everything is a compromise in firearms. Quality of AK's vary widely just as AR's. But shooting ability is key.

If you get a decent AK, not a cheap POS, and you have the ability to shoot, they are not a bad battle rifle. I don't use optics on mine, and if you are talking man size targets, I can hit almost every time in prone off irons at 300m. Everything is a compromise in firearms. Quality of AK's vary widely just as AR's. But shooting ability is key.

Not to sound like a jackdonkey but how exactly are you going prone with an AK? Are you keeping short mags around and swapping them out or ???

Asking because for a SHTF moment I'm thinking a standard SKS might be a bit better in some situations...

-d

Uh I shoot with a 30 rd mag which is the same length as an sks mag no? Anyway how is a 30 mag get in the way shooting prone, borderline contemplating if I was going to respond to this one...haha

Uh I shoot with a 30 rd mag which is the same length as an sks mag no? Anyway how is a 30 mag get in the way shooting prone, borderline contemplating if I was going to respond to this one...haha

SKS has a 10 round internal magazine

SKS_1.jpg
Also, shooting prone or from a rest with a long magazine is a PITA. Especially if you're shooting at any sort of an incline. The long magazine becomes a pivot point and a poorly placed monopod.

When shooting prone with my ar15 and bipod, I much prefer to use either a 20rnd magazine or my beta C mag.

See below...

SKS has a 10 round internal magazine

SKS_1.jpg
Also, shooting prone or from a rest with a long magazine is a PITA. Especially if you're shooting at any sort of an incline. The long magazine becomes a pivot point and a poorly placed monopod.

When shooting prone with my ar15 and bipod, I much prefer to use either a 20rnd magazine or my beta C mag.

+1

-d

Well...I wasn't singling you out. Its obvious you can shoot. I was just speaking of AK owners in general. Usually its the guys with all the tacticool crap hung all over their rifles.

Keith

At the MRC sight in day one fellow had an SKS with what looked like every tacticool option he could find.
He went through LOTS of ammo and never got it sighted in even at 50 yds. I gently suggested that it
would probably work better as it came. Mine does.

Most of the AR or AK guys have all that stuff hanging off their guns. Whenever I see that it makes they are trying to play SWAT or ARMY like when we were kids...haha!

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top