Gun Deals
Oregon Arms & Ammunition
J&B Firearm Sales
Sporting Systems
Oregon Rifleworks
Advertise on Northwest Firearms

Air Travel report

Reactions
This past weekend I attended a small, informal reunion for Paratroopers in North Carolina (had a great time, by the way). Part of the festivities included a shooting competition (where I placed second and won a hat :) ) so I had to travel with my pistol.

Not much to report here. I flew Seattle to Raleigh Durham (NC) with a layover in Denver. I was transporting a Glock pistol in its original case.

1. SEA: checked in at the counter and declared my firearm (already secured in the suitcase per TSA regs). After being processed, the attendant directed me to the TSA counter. I was directed to open the bag, remove the case, open the case, and not make contact with the weapon. The agent verified the weapon was unloaded, wiped the bag with some kind of swab (presumably for explosive residue, I don't know). He had me lock up the case, place it back in the suitcase. At that time he took possession of it and that was that.

2. DEN: the layover had me changing flights, but it was the same airline so I did not retake possession of my checked luggage.

3. RDU: arrived and checked with the airline office next to baggage claim, expecting my suitcase to be set aside because of the firearm. I was told that they only pull out luggage that is clearly made for a weapon (e.g., a rifle case). If the weapon is stowed in an ordinary suitcase, they put it on the carousel with the rest of the bags. I got my bag, did a quick (and inconspicuous) inspection, and all was well.

The return trip; flying RDU to Nashville to SEA

1. RDU: checked in at the counter and declared the firearm. As before, I was processed and directed to the TSA counter. This time, however, they took the bag behind a divider and inspected it. According to TSA's own policy, the inspection is supposed to take place in my presence. I very politely made a note of this, they left the bag where it was and brought the Glock case over to me. I wasn't allowed to touch it (which is fine) but they opened it for my visual inspection and then locked it in front of me, handing me the key afterward. I wasn't 100% happy, but my primary concern had been met.

2. Nashville: change flight, same airline, no problems.

3. SEA: went to baggage claim, picked up my bag, verified the contents, and went home.

Other than the minor stumble at RDU, there were no problems. As an added bonus, NC has CPL reciprocity with WA.

UPCOMING EVENTS

Cerberus Training Group - Run the Gun - Pistol April 4th
Cerberus Training Group
47 Cattle Dr, Goldendale, WA 98620, USA
Cerberus Training Group - Run the Gun - Rifle April 5th
Cerberus Training Group
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Gun Show
Battleground Community Center
912 E Main St, Battle Ground, WA 98604, USA
Cerberus Training Group - Skill Builder - April 25-26th
Cerberus Training Group

LATEST RESOURCE REVIEWS

• Adaptive Firing Solutions
    5.00 star(s)
    Steve is great. Easy to deal with, super low prices on his transfers.
    • DizzyJ
  • Adaptive Firing Solutions
    5.00 star(s)
    Had my first transaction with Steve and will be recommending him to anyone in my circle. Good guy with a really helpful attitude and goes the...
    • SonnyJim
  • Supporting Vendor Oregon Arms & Ammunition
    5.00 star(s)
    This is the closest gun close to my house and they have always been super nice. I have bought two guns off them and sold one of mine to them.
    • storminnorm44
  • Supporting Vendor Oregon Arms & Ammunition
    5.00 star(s)
    Went in to pick up some parts for an AR style 10/22 and to start my journey into building an AR by picking up a lower. Staff was super helpful and...
    • Hueco
  • Tri-County Gun Club
    5.00 star(s)
    I've been a member for 6 years, been shooting there (as a guest) for three years before that. I found the Ladies League and was hooked. It's the...
    • PacwestDefense

SUPPORT NORTHWEST FIREARMS

Staff online