JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
AR newbie here. My first (and likely only) AR is a S&W MP 15. My budget for an optic is $450 or less. Not interested in anything made in China, been there done that, I only have one AR rifle and I am absolutely going to bite the bullet and do it right this time in terms of a premium quality optic. Ability to co-witness iron sights is a must. My gun is factory stock other than a Magpul forearm and will remain that way. Quality and reliability are my priorities. Opinions?

AR newbie here. My first (and likely only) AR is a S&W MP 15. My budget for an optic is $450 or less. Not interested in anything made in China, been there done that, I only have one AR rifle and I am absolutely going to bite the bullet and do it right this time in terms of a premium quality optic. Ability to co-witness iron sights is a must. My gun is factory stock other than a Magpul forearm and will remain that way. Quality and reliability are my priorities. Opinions?
I had three Eotechs fail on me. The battery life on the Eotechs sucks compared to any of the aimpoints. Eotechs just had a full price buy back . There was some issues with all their red dots types, but my understanding is was mostly with dots made before 2013. I was a huge Eotech fan. I have a micro t1 and a Pro both are great.

Have you tried Vortex?

Made in America, lots of good stuff similar to Aimpoint.

Vortex OPMOD StrikeFire II 4 MOA Red/Green Dot with Cantilever AR-15 Mount w/ Free Shipping and Handling — 2 models

Aimpoints have far superior battery life and use LED. Its also a truly waterproof optic. I find the EoTech donut of death to be easier to pick up and I feel the wider field of view is more conducive to keeping boths eyes open. I dont like how much space the 512 takes up and Ive heard, but not experienced, the battery springs can weaken and cause loss of power or intermittent flickering.

I still use an Aimpoint PRO.

Aimpoints have far superior battery life and use LED. Its also a truly waterproof optic. I find the EoTech donut of death to be easier to pick up and I feel the wider field of view is more conducive to keeping boths eyes open. I dont like how much space the 512 takes up and Ive heard, but not experienced, the battery springs can weaken and cause loss of power or intermittent flickering.

I still use an Aimpoint PRO.

In my opinion, they both have their pros and cons.

EOTECH
Pro: Batteries are easy to find. Wider field of view.
Cons: The reticle takes up a lot of the screen.

Aimpoint
Pro: Easy to use. Superior battery life. Many different scope mounts available.
Cons: Narrow view. Battery is uncommon.

Otherwise they're both great sights...a bit overpriced, in my opinion, since they both take batteries and you can simply get a battery-less sight (like a trijicon tritium sight) for about the same price.

Trijicon 42mm Reflex Sight with Amber 4.5 MOA Dot Reticle w/ Free Shipping — 6 models

Otherwise, you can get a sight (like a Vortex) that is about the same at less than half the price.

I like the Eotech for the same reason @William Jones has stated. The large circle is great for sweeping over the target and my eyes find it easier than looking for a small dot. The only problem I've ever had with Eotechs is the 65moa ring gets fuzzy when wearing glasses, and in-spite of all criticism, I never have had any issues with them other than the little tension spring in the battery box came loose and I had to silicone it back in place.

Aimpoints have that Frankenstein mounting bolt hanging off the side...I don't like that :D

Vortex has a bunch of knobs all over the side and blocks my view...I don't like that either :D

That being said, I bent over and bout a couple Trijicon MROs because Curt's dint have any Eotechs :( They are bulletproof, BUT....ugh, they have a slight magnification that screws with my both eyes open shooting and it has a slight blue tint to the glass changing my view as well.

I like the Eotech for the same reason @William Jones has stated. The large circle is great for sweeping over the target and my eyes find it easier than looking for a small dot. The only problem I've ever had with Eotechs is the 65moa ring gets fuzzy when wearing glasses, and in-spite of all criticism, I never have had any issues with them other than the little tension spring in the battery box came loose and I had to silicone it back in place.

Aimpoints have that Frankenstein mounting bolt hanging off the side...I don't like that :D

Vortex has a bunch of knobs all over the side and blocks my view...I don't like that either :D

That being said, I bent over and bout a couple Trijicon MROs because Curt's dint have any Eotechs :( They are bulletproof, BUT....ugh, they have a slight magnification that screws with my both eyes open shooting and it has a slight blue tint to the glass changing my view as well.
You can buy different mounts for the aimpoints

You can buy different mounts for the aimpoints

Beat me to it!

untitled2.png untitled1.png

Good questions, watching this thread.

I have an Aimpoint Pro on my AR15 and I really like it, but I've never used an EOTech.

Had a Eotech 512 and loved the reticle. Hated the battery life. Switched to an Aimpoint pro and also have an H1. The single dot is still very good, but the pro is really durable and I like the scope covers it comes with. You can leave them down and still use the sight. Doing it over I would get any Aimpoint. Also have a Meprolight Rds which has the dot of the Aimpoint, view of the Eotech, and battery life in between on a AA battery for less cost than either. Have a magnifier behind it and it works great except the highest setting should be a touch brighter. Still is enough though

What makes the EOTech able to do that as opposed to the Aimpoint?

Most sights keep the zero and the zero functions on the side of the optic...EOTECH keeps it down below in the body of it.

400px-EotechFunctionDiagram2.png

Another feature of the EOTECH is that it will actually move the reticle to the most available screen while still keeping the zero.

How it does that? That's some straight up majic and I have no idea!
opplanet-eotech-holographic-sight-550-4.jpg

Another feature of the EOTECH is that it will actually move the reticle to the most available screen while still keeping the zero.

How it does that? That's some straight up majic and I have no idea!

Wow, that's crazy (in an awesome way)

Government sued EOTECH for 25.6 million over their site having thermo drift issues.

And are testing now for a new sight from a bunch of companies.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top