JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I get that. What setting did you have the aimpoint on?

I don't have aimpoints that take AA, but I have many of those cheap AAA Sig Romeo 5 and have let them sit for more than a year without experiencing corrosion build up. I wonder if the "shake awake" feature keeps the draw low enough to prevent that.

I've only ever used Duracell, they aren't perfect though.
I did a search and some guys over at the AR15 site say they've had this problem with Duracell and even Energizer alkaline as well.

I usually leave it on a mid setting, a couple clicks past the NV settings. It's enough to see it in the day but I always figure if I ever needed if for defense it would be at night - so mid is plenty bright.

I did a search and some guys over at the AR15 site say they've had this problem with Duracell and even Energizer alkaline as well.

I usually leave it on a mid setting, a couple clicks past the NV settings. It's enough to see it in the day but I always figure if I ever needed if for defense it would be at night - so mid is plenty bright.
Yep - that's lame. I definitely don't claim Duracell don't leak. Pretty much if you run an alkaline battery in anything you should have an inspection schedule and a replacement schedule.

Pretty much if you run an alkaline battery in anything you should have an inspection schedule and a replacement schedule.
I think thats the best advice.

Im reading batteries vent gas (battery acid) as they discharge over time which builds up inside the device causing corrosion. So maybe monthly inspection opens the battery compartment purging the gas build up would be all thats needed.
I wonder if one can store the Aimpoint with a loose fitting battery cap, then if needed just give it a twist.
Not very practical for something advertised to be left on....

Yep - that's lame. I definitely don't claim Duracell don't leak. Pretty much if you run an alkaline battery in anything you should have an inspection schedule and a replacement schedule.
For sure. My bad for overlooking. Things got crazy in life and that was not considered for awhile. I paid the price for it. Hopefully Aimpoint has a solution that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

I think thats the best advice.

Im reading batteries vent gas (battery acid) as they discharge over time which builds up inside the device causing corrosion. So maybe monthly inspection opens the battery compartment purging the gas build up would be all thats needed.
I wonder if one can store the Aimpoint with a loose fitting battery cap, then if needed just give it a twist.
Not very practical for something advertised to be left on....
That's my thought. The whole point is that they can be left on and a rifle can be grabbed for defense purposes already ready to go.
Meanwhile my shake awake Holosun green dot on my pistol is working perfectly almost 2 years later.... :confused:

I once seen an article on alkaline battery leakage. Duracell was one of the worst and coincidentally Costco - Kirkland was one of the better ones against leakage.

Myself any of my electronic sights, gun lights, range finders, gps or high dollar flashlights get nothing but Energizer lithium batteries. I learned this the hard way on a high dollar range finder.

The lithium's are expensive but when needed I just bite the bullet and place a big order of AA and AAA so I always have some on hand. Along with some stashed in all my packs, range bags and cars. Plus the lithium's shelf life is so long.

For a while Costco had the Energizer lithium AA at a real good price and I'd buy a pack almost every time I went in but they haven't had them for quite a while. Hoping they might get them back for the holiday season

Happened with both Rayovac and Kirkland...but doing a little search I see that it has happened to people with all kinds of alkaline. Wish I had known this sooner. Only Energizer lithium going forward.
Kirkland AAs appear to be made by Duracell. I have detailed on a few threads my absolutely dreadful history with leaking Duracell AAs and AAAs as in multiple dozens, most that have not be subject to harsh conditions and well within their expiration date. I was tasked with maintaining some low use, simple items with multiple batter types. Likely 250 AA batteries over the period. After having to clean or toss multiple devices after Duracell leaks they are dead to me. I just had to toss the clock at our range from a leaking Duracell. I have used far more bunny batteries without issues.

For carry optics guns, I personally swap batteries every six months. My birthday is six months from a holiday so I swap on both of these. On a non-carry gun, you could just celebrate both birthdays and toss the batteries. A couple of bucks for batteries is better than a ruined device.
I once seen an article on alkaline battery leakage. Duracell was one of the worst and coincidentally Costco - Kirkland was one of the better ones against leakage.
According to the interwebs, Kirkland AA batteries are made by Duracell so that article's testing protocol is suspect. (Or my quick internet search is.) :cool:

Kirkland AAs appear to be made by Duracell. I have detailed on a few threads my absolutely dreadful history with leaking Duracell AAs and AAAs as in multiple dozens, most that have not be subject to harsh conditions and well within their expiration date. I was tasked with maintaining some low use, simple items with multiple batter types. Likely 250 AA batteries over the period. After having to clean or toss multiple devices after Duracell leaks they are dead to me. I just had to toss the clock at our range from a leaking Duracell. I have used far more bunny batteries without issues.

For carry optics guns, I personally swap batteries every six months. My birthday is six months from a holiday so I swap on both of these. On a non-carry gun, you could just celebrate both birthdays and toss the batteries. A couple of bucks for batteries is better than a ruined device.

According to the interwebs, Kirkland AA batteries are made by Duracell so that article's testing protocol is suspect. (Or my quick internet search is.) :cool:
Yes, definitely on article testings protocols.Thats another reason I stick with the lIthiums on my expensive items. The range finder I lost due to alkaline battery leakage was in excess of $350.

A spendy lesson and I could have bought a lot of lithiums for the cost of replacing the range finder. For stuff i keep and use in my shop I've been using the rechargeable NiCad batteries. Have had good luck with those too. Costco just had them on sale recently. They were $15 for 4 AA and 2-AAA plus the small wall charger.

The one set I've used about a year with multiple chargings and no issues with them at all.

Since you bricked it, be sure to remove the cement before returning it to Aimpoint, postage will be much less with concrete removed. Not sure if Aimpoint will cover an item used as part of a wall, tho...
That said, I messed up a night vision device by leaving alkalines in over time. (They didnt visibly leak however). Didn't realize that cleaning with soda and vinegar would help. Will check that asap as it's still in my gun safe these last ten years.......

Last year I bought a Costco Duracell AA mega pack. When I got home I realized I had an unopened pack in my battery cabinet. A couple of months go by and I need a battery. Lo and behold, batteries in both of the unopened packages had leaked and the entire packages were ruined. I contacted Duracell and they claimed the batteries must have been exposed to extreme temperatures. They sent me a coupon for a new package of batteries which nobody would honor. Never will I buy another Duracell.

Well? Is it workin' today or not?
No but there's probably still moisture in there. Frankly I wouldn't use it on a defense when it's in this condition. It needs to be 100% reliable. I'll pay them if I have to, to refurbish it or whatever. Can't cost what a brand new one does...

Since you bricked it, be sure to remove the cement before returning it to Aimpoint, postage will be much less with concrete removed. Not sure if Aimpoint will cover an item used as part of a wall, tho...
That said, I messed up a night vision device by leaving alkalines in over time. (They didnt visibly leak however). Didn't realize that cleaning with soda and vinegar would help. Will check that asap as it's still in my gun safe these last ten years.......
Not gonna lie that one took a second to process...

We had one come in, on a rifle, that was DOA. We sent it in for diagnostic/repair. They ended up sending us a new comparable optic for free. I would try sending it in to Aimpoint.
This would be ideal. I mean, it could keep someone as a future customer.

Last year I bought a Costco Duracell AA mega pack. When I got home I realized I had an unopened pack in my battery cabinet. A couple of months go by and I need a battery. Lo and behold, batteries in both of the unopened packages had leaked and the entire packages were ruined. I contacted Duracell and they claimed the batteries must have been exposed to extreme temperatures. They sent me a coupon for a new package of batteries which nobody would honor. Never will I buy another Duracell.
Sorry for your experience but this does not surprise me one bit. On another note, I like to use lithium batteries whenever possible since they last longer, are lighter, and less susceptible to cold weather. However, some companies warn against using them in their safe locks and to only use alkaline batteries. Check your instructions (I spoke with one company over the phone and they advised that the way the voltage works is slightly different from alkaline batteries and can mess up the electronic locks.

And one final PSA, dispose of lithium batteries properly, as in not in your trash can. Many places have battery recycling bins (Home Depot, recycling centers). Lithium batteries are a major cause of fires in trash trucks and at waste centers (transfer stations and recycling centers). When crushed they tend to catch fire.

No but there's probably still moisture in there. Frankly I wouldn't use it on a defense when it's in this condition. It needs to be 100% reliable. I'll pay them if I have to, to refurbish it or whatever. Can't cost what a brand new one does...
I wouldn't pay them, if they charged you Id demand a full replacement for free or they lose a customer. They marketed this as an always on product with 80,000 whatever hours of life. This isnt a knock off brand like UTG, they need to stand behind their product. Id like to know how they take care of you...

Have you thought about putting a NiMH battery in there? I've switched a lot of my AA and AAA gear to rechargeables since I went through a couple of giant Costco blister packs of AAA batteries in less than a year. Earmuffs, radios, reddots and I don't know what else.

I wouldn't pay them, if they charged you Id demand a full replacement for free or they lose a customer. They marketed this as an always on product with 80,000 whatever hours of life. This isnt a knock off brand like UTG, they need to stand behind their product. Id like to know how they take care of you...
Looks like the max service charge is $99. I'd still rather pay than shell out for a new optic but I think you're right. I didn't do anything outside the parameters they gave. I got a RMA and I'll send a detailed note about what exactly happened.

Looks like the max service charge is $99. I'd still rather pay than shell out for a new optic but I think you're right. I didn't do anything outside the parameters they gave. I got a RMA and I'll send a detailed note about what exactly happened.
yeah, at a grand for that optic I don't blame you and would do the same. But if they charge you anything for this then I wouldn't buy another. Using an AA today is old tech, this shouldnt even be an issue.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top