JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
AG Healey wants doctors to talk guns with patients

This is awesome. I was just talking to a patient about the 80% AR10 he is working on and what uppers to use and did a disabled hunting permit application for another. I'd be more than happy to chat about guns with my patients all day long. I wonder how I can bill Medicare for that?

"25 minutes spent with patient with more than 50% of the visit counseling on 6.5 creedmore vs .308"

If I'm asked if I have any weapons (guns) at home I'll look right at the Dr. and ask if he has a mirror at home. I'll then advise him to ask himself that question to himself while looking into the mirror, he might just get that idiot to answer.

ex·trap·o·late
ikˈstrapəˌlāt/
verb
verb: extrapolate; 3rd person present: extrapolates; past tense: extrapolated; past participle: extrapolated; gerund or present participle: extrapolating
  1. extend the application of (a method or conclusion, especially one based on statistics) to an unknown situation by assuming that existing trends will continue or similar methods will be applicable.
    "the results cannot be extrapolated to other patient groups"
    • estimate or conclude (something) by extrapolating.
      "attempts to extrapolate likely human cancers from laboratory studies"
    • Mathematics
      extend (a graph, curve, or range of values) by inferring unknown values from trends in the known data.
      "a set of extrapolated values"

Gun training for doctors?... Excellent idea!!!

There was an NPR story recently that was about training psychologists in firearms so they could better talk with veteran patients about psychiatric issues. I was quite amazed that they even considered bringing the psychologists to gun ranges to show them the differences in firearms so they knew how to talk to gun owners. They specifically said they want to do this because the vets wont talk to them if they think they are going to get their guns or gun rights taken away. I was amazed that NPR had a story that was not totally anti-gun and that these psychologists were actually getting training in firearms so they knew how to talk to their patients.

Veteran Teaches Therapists How To Talk About Gun Safety When Suicide's A Risk

I've had a lot of depressed and suicidal patients over the years, I also have a lot of patients own guns. I've never had a patient kill themselves with a firearm and I've never had any of them loose their firearm rights or have their guns taken for mental health reasons.

It's probably been 15-18 years ago or so, but I did have a Doctor ask me if I owned any firearms during a physical. I asked him why he wanted to know. The doctor said it was part of their medical practice to assess the overall health risks involved in patient lifestyles. Since he had a clipboard [this was before they all used laptops] I asked if there was a question about whether I owned a automobile and how many miles I drove every year. When he hesitated, I asked if there was a question about whether I owned a chainsaw, lawnmower, powered woodworking tools, welder, etc. When he said no, I left after telling him I came for a physical not a political indoctrination.

AG Healey wants doctors to talk guns with patients

This is awesome. I was just talking to a patient about the 80% AR10 he is working on and what uppers to use and did a disabled hunting permit application for another. I'd be more than happy to chat about guns with my patients all day long. I wonder how I can bill Medicare for that?

"25 minutes spent with patient with more than 50% of the visit counseling on 6.5 creedmore vs .308"

Reminds me of my eye doctor. We are the member of the same gun club, so shooting-related topics are often discussed during the annual check. :D

There was an NPR story recently that was about training psychologists in firearms so they could better talk with veteran patients about psychiatric issues. I was quite amazed that they even considered bringing the psychologists to gun ranges to show them the differences in firearms so they knew how to talk to gun owners. They specifically said they want to do this because the vets wont talk to them if they think they are going to get their guns or gun rights taken away. I was amazed that NPR had a story that was not totally anti-gun and that these psychologists were actually getting training in firearms so they knew how to talk to their patients.

Veteran Teaches Therapists How To Talk About Gun Safety When Suicide's A Risk

I've had a lot of depressed and suicidal patients over the years, I also have a lot of patients own guns. I've never had a patient kill themselves with a firearm and I've never had any of them loose their firearm rights or have their guns taken for mental health reasons.

This is a fear that I do have as a vet who is in the VA system for depression. :(

I talk guns with my primary care doc all the time. Last convo was about the new Bersa Thunder .380 he just bought and how it didn't like to feed some flat or hollow point ammo. I suggested he have the ramp polished a little. Worked on my sons Bersa.

Unless I'm seeing the doctor for a self inflicted gunshot wound, it's none of his damn business if I own a gun or not. Similarly, it's not a school's business to be asking my kid if I have guns, it's none of the business of my waitress at Shari's if I own guns. But the nitwits in Mass probably think that's the greatest thing since the polio vaccine.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top