JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm in the market for a S&W .357 revolver and have been mostly focusing my attention on the 686 model; the 686 Plus the leading candidate at present. I have always liked that frame with the Hogue finger grips... one of the best fitting revolvers I've ever held. In many ways I wish I had bought one of these some years back when I bouncing between that and the Ruger Redhawk 44 Mag.

What I'd like to know is whether there are particular models and model years that are considered better than others. I prefer a 3 or 4 inch barrel. Also, are there only certain ones that can be refitted with the Hogue grips? Lastly, what about the "pre-trigger lock" stuff -- better to look for one without?

Thanks!

Last Edited:
I had a 686 plus 4" pre-lock. I think it was a 686-5. It came with the Hogue grips that made the round butt have the shape of a square butt. I changed the grips to Hogue round butt. Any round or square butt S&W revolver can be fitted with Hogue grips.
Fantastic gun, if you ask me. Wish I'd not sold it. I will buy another someday.
Also, while a 3" gun in 357 will do more than a 3" gun in 38 Special, the 4" is about where the .357 really starts to strut it's stuff.

Just picked up a 686 plus 3" for Christmas...for my wife. She has an older 686 4" that she loved but she sold it back to her dad several years ago. Should have kept it. The grips that came with if feel great; they remind her of the Pachmayr grips on her old gun. Wish I could share more but it hasn't been to the range yet. The trigger is nice so it will be great to see how it breaks in.

Yes I'm lucky, she would rather have a shootin' iron over jewelry. I get the next one!

Just picked up a 686 plus 3" for Christmas...for my wife. She has an older 686 4" that she loved but she sold it back to her dad several years ago. Should have kept it. The grips that came with if feel great; they remind her of the Pachmayr grips on her old gun. Wish I could share more but it hasn't been to the range yet. The trigger is nice so it will be great to see how it breaks in.

Yes I'm lucky, she would rather have a shootin' iron over jewelry. I get the next one!
Actually this will also be a gun my wife will use, so I'm interested in how your wife likes the 3" vs. 4" barrel. Granted, the extra inch helps level things a bit and, by most accounts, the shortest folks recommend for routine range use, but that shorter length sure makes packing easier.

Sure would appreciate a PM on how you liked the shorter barrel. Thanks.

Actually this will also be a gun my wife will use, so I'm interested in how your wife likes the 3" vs. 4" barrel. Granted, the extra inch helps level things a bit and, by most accounts, the shortest folks recommend for routine range use, but that shorter length sure makes packing easier.

Sure would appreciate a PM on how you liked the shorter barrel. Thanks.

I'll report back once we get out to the range.

I'm in the market for a S&W .357 revolver and have been mostly focusing my attention on the 686 model; the 686 Plus the leading candidate at present. I have always liked that frame with the Hogue finger grips... one of the best fitting revolvers I've ever held. In many ways I wish I had bought one of these some years back when I bouncing between that and the Ruger Redhawk 44 Mag.

What I'd like to know is whether there are particular models and model years that are considered better than others. I prefer a 3 or 4 inch barrel. Also, are there only certain ones that can be refitted with the Hogue grips? Lastly, what about the "pre-trigger lock" stuff -- better to look for one without?

Thanks!

Most S&W lovers agree, the 686-4 was the pinnacle of 686s.

Best,
Gary

I am a diehard Colt fan, but when I think revolvers I think Smith and Wesson. I have a 686, 586 and 66. I love them and would recommend them to anyone looking for a revolver.

2vhx7yo.jpg

Now I wouldn't turn down a Python either though. ;)

I agree with Gary, the 686-4 is the most desirable of the bunch and the first year available with the 7-shot cylinder, and started shipping with those Hogue grips you like. The 686-5 went to MIM parts, and the 686-6 added the key lock. There are many S&W enthusiasts that won't touch a later gun with MIM parts, and especially those with the lock mechanism. So consider that someday you might want to sell it, you would have a much broader interest base with a pre-IL, pre-MIM gun.

Considering your wife will be using it, you might also take a look at the K frame model 66. If find them to be the perfect size and weight, and your wife might also prefer their handling over the beefier L frame 686. I also prefer the shorter underlug of the 66 over the full underlug on the 686. The 66 (no dash) and 66-1 are P&R guns (pinned barrels and recessed cylinders) so they are the most desirable of that bunch. Hogue finger grips are available to fit these.

Another fine option for plinking is the old Ruger Speed Six, Security Six, and Police Service Six guns. About the same size as the K frame S&Ws, but built a little stronger. I use a 2.75" Speed Six as my nightstand gun because of it's superb handling. And yes Hogue makes finger grips for all of these too.

Go handle a GP100 and compare that based on the size of a S&W of similar proportion... (I'm biased I like Rugers)

Rugers are heavy. And some people like that.

My wife's gun is a three inch .38 speed six . Great gun. Zero recoil.

A SP101 is a compact gun but weighs in at 26oz. My Titanium j-frame S&W is 11oz. Heck my 329 .44 magnum is only 25oz.

I guess it's what you like a gun to weigh? And what you use it for.

Just for grins and giggles, here is some comparison data of weights taken from the S&W website, Ruger website, and American Rifleman. All are .357 magnums. Keep in mind all wear rubber grips, but I imagine the Security Six weight was taken wearing wood service grips which of course can affect the weight.

Ruger SP101, 4.2" barrel, 29.5 oz.
Ruger Security Six, 4" barrel, 33.5 oz.
S&W Model 66, 4.25" barrel, 36.6 oz.
Ruger GP100 Match Champion, 4.2" barrel, 38.0 oz.
S&W Model 686 Plus, 4" barrel, 38.9 oz.
S&W Model 686, 4" barrel, 39.7 oz.
Ruger GP100, 4.2" barrel, 40.0 oz.

Oops, forgot the Match Champion comes with wood grips.

Last Edited:
Now that's a nice gun :s0073:

Personally, i was in the same boat as yourself, but was torn between the 4 and the 6 inch. However, after trying many in stores, wanting a 6 shot instead of 7 (traditionalist?) It was swaying more to the Ruger. After seeing a video of a Smith that had the lock (which i figured would be fine if i left it unlocked and never used it) lock up the gun completely whilst in the unlocked position and render it useless, i decided on the GP100.

GP100-1.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads