JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have an S&W 686-1 with a 6" barrel that I bought back in 1987.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420002634.253862.jpg

I have a Pachmayr grip on it now since I used to shoot 357 magnum Silvertips and they hurt with the wooden grip installed. I still have the original wooden grip.

Last Edited:
I fitted the Wiley Clapp grips (see pic on previous page) as I don't like the Hogue for look, feels great with mag loads on the 6 inch.

Nice guns guys, thanks for posting! I really like that partial lug Orygun, you don't see those very often and that is what I would hunt down if I was in the market for a GP100. Ruger made some of those in a 4" stainless with fixed sights and they look a lot like the old Police Service Six. Below is a photo I borrowed from the Ruger forum of some partial underlug GP100s, they all look pretty cool.

If I was looking for a 686, it would be one of the earlier variants like Tony has with the original wood grips. You can always add rubber grips later. Some of those old wood S&W grips are getting pretty darn expensive!

rugerpics.jpg

Well, I'm on the hunt. I'm kind of liking the blued steel look as I already have a Ruger .44 in stainless. Looks like a good B grade + 586 will set me back about $700 heads of lettuce.

Well, I'm on the hunt. I'm kind of liking the blued steel look as I already have a Ruger .44 in stainless. Looks like a good B grade + 586 will set me back about $700 heads of lettuce.

Though I never cared for the look of a full underlug revolvers, a blue Colt Python and a blue S&W 586 are the two exceptions. Just seems to work in those classic revolvers. I do try and stay away from blued guns though, the last one I bought, a 6" S&W 27-2, was in 90% condition and I bought it for a nice shooter. Kept it for a week and couldn't stand the minor flaws so I sent it across the country for a very expensive re-blue job. Now it's too nice to shoot.... Happens with every blued gun I buy so I now stick to stainless, though I struggle with it whenever I see an old snub M27 or M29 for sale. I envy you guys that can buy a nice shooter grade blued gun and enjoy it, my personality just won't allow it. :(

At some point the imperfection in a gun became acceptable. Now there appreciated.

As I grew older. I realized nothing is perfect. Some guns are just closer than others.

Re-bluing a 90% revolver. Is taking a $600 gun. Spending $300 on it. And turning it into a $350 gun.

That's true Medic!, lots of gun guys feel that way. I do understand that point of view, just don't share it. I guess I was into classic cars and motorcycles long before guns and have the mindset that a quality restoration is just fine. Turnbull and Ford's seem to make a pretty good living at it so I guess I'm not the only one out there in the gun-world that likes to have their old guns look like new. Not to mention the custom gun crowd that spends gobs of money at companies like Gemini to have something a bit unique. To each his own.

I have always heard from the internet the trigger on S&W was better than Ruger and Colt's were better than all of them. Now I did get a chance to try an older Dan Wesson .357, a S&W 686 and Ruger GP100. I never had the chance to try a Colt but the Dan Wesson was MUCH better double action and single action over the S&W 686 and the Ruger GP100.
May our lives glorify God,
Michael

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews