JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
2290FA32-F5B8-4CCB-A6E3-2C5BC5585539.jpeg

Ancient thread, but still worth while. Safety is always a good discussion.

I've had a couple long ago but nothing in recent years, and fortunately nothing that hurt anyone. I have heard first hand accounts of some heartbreaking accidents though, enough to make me something of a safety extremist. The worst was a guy, someone I didn't know personally, who accidentally shot his young daughter. I heard that he later committed suicide due to grief.

Yes, I did say accident. I don't know whoever started this notion that a negligent discharge isn't an accidental discharge, but whoever it was must not have owned a dictionary. Would we say that traffic accidents are rarely accidents because there's usually negligence involved? Or that workplace accidents aren't accidents? What about accidental pregnancies?

The word "accident" just denotes something unintentional, not that there wasn't negligence. A negligent discharge is a type of accidental discharge.

Like I tell my 12yo son, It may have been an accident, but it was a careless one and that doesn't excuse you from blame.

Know the rules, know your tools, and develop strong safety habits. Some habits like always, always checking will help you to not have an AD, and others like alway, always pointed in a safe direction will help save you from unimaginable pain or heartbreak should an AD occur. Anytime my kids are around guns I drill safety into them. Sometimes they roll their eyes a little, but they understand why. I'd pile all my guns in the backyard and burn them before I'd see one of my kids hurt.

I spent 2012 living with a young adult and I use that term loosely,
After tripping on ecstasy for the evening he thought it would be a good idea to play with his Beretta 9mm and 'accidentally' shot a knuckle out of his dominant hand. Exciting ride to the hospital, his girlfriend refused to run any stop signs or red lights--he didn't care, he was wasted

Is it just me but are all these old threads being resurrected, is a Rattus norvegicus at play?
Or has the world stopped revolving on its axis?

I support the resurection of this thread soooo, me 16 years old, my brother 19 and fresh out of boot camp, were kicking off a day of deer hunting. He was standing to my left. I was carrying a Savage 99 in 308 and loading it from the top while we walked side by side down an old logging road. As soon as I closed the lever action, there was a slam fire. Had I been pointing the muzzle to my left instead of in front of me, I would have killed my brother that day. I know it was a slam fire because I tried to reenact it, with the rifle unloaded, to see if my finger could've somehow slipped in there. Damned near impossible. This was also the same rifle that my brother, a year prior, shot a hole through our parents night stand, into their water bed and out the bed room floor while loading it in the house. It fired when he closed the action. My sted dad at that time insisted a slam fire was impossible and cycled 40 or so rounds through it to get it to fire and it never did witb him, but it did with us.

Ill eat the popcorn and add to this deadhead thread......How hard is it to keep your motherbubbleguming finger OFF the goddamn trigger????.........not that bubbleguming hard..

Just sayn.....

You can call all your hunting "accidents, "accidents" , but the REAL truth is ( weather you wanna admit it or not), is that somebody bubblegumed up.......thats the truth....unless there was a defined mechanical malfunction....otherwise, human error..... just sayn......

It was probably just MOSTLY dead... but as we all know, MOSTLY dead means SLIGHTLY alive.

Some schools teach you to always perform an 'anchor shot' when dealing with wounded combatants then there is no question if it is mostly dead or slightly alive. Clearly no one did that to this thread.

Thought I'd add my story too now that its been resurrected. I luckily haven't had a ND yet. My 2ndLt let one off next to me in Afghanistan outside the DFAC (dining facility) in the clearing barrel. He had a close encounter with some hyenas the night before and loaded a round in his M9. He forgot it was loaded and improperly cleared his pistol in the clearing barrel. They wanted to charge him for the ND but he had done it in the "designated" place for such an action plus he was an officer so he ended up getting away with it. Good guy, but I kinda felt bad for him as he ended up getting ragged on by EVERYBODY for the rest of his time with our unit.

Last Edited:
You can call all your hunting "accidents, "accidents" , but the REAL truth is ( weather you wanna admit it or not), is that somebody bubblegumed up.......thats the truth....unless there was a defined mechanical malfunction....otherwise, human error..... just sayn......

Yes. People bubblegum up. That is the point of this thread.

Yes. People bubblegum up. That is the point of this thread.

I was simply trying to point out the difference between a negligent discharge and an accidental discharge....99.9% are negligent discharges, they shouldnt be called accidents in my opinion....

Had a buddy who was one of those guys who tried to act like the gangsters you see on tv. Well one day he decided to borrow his dads gun, later that night were all at a friends house and he decides to pull it out and show it off. So he's showing it off and and swinging it around. About 30 seconds later,a loud boom and 4 inches to the right of my neck there's a nice new hole in the wall. Luck pretty much saved me that night. Since then I've always been super cautious around anyone with a gun and anyone who's pants are a little to low.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top