JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have been shooting bows since I was 6 but up until a year ago have been doing rifle hunting and am going bow hunting. What is an acceptable archery group? I have a Red Wing Hunter recurve bow and am shooting 1 inch groups all within a 3 inch circle of the bullseye at 20 yards. Is that close enough to the bullseye? I have thought about getting a stabilizer but My threads are 5/16ths instead of the standard 6/16ths.

i shoot a compound bow and when i am practicing, if theyre all not touching or close to from 20,30 & 40 yards its no good. its ok if it opens up alittlefrom 50-80 and from 90-130 im happy with all my arrows being toward the center of the bag. not the outside edges or in the dirt pile behind my target. i would say youre doing great with a recurve!

I shoot either a home made osage 58# longbow or a Hickory 52# longbow.
No sights , just instinctive style shooting.
When I keep in practice I can keep my shots within 1-3 inches of each other out to 40 yards.
There have been more than a few times when I have gouged my arrows or ripped a fletching with arrows hitting too close.

Notice I say when I keep in practice ... I need to shoot more its been awhile.
For me , when I am in practice my limit is 30 yards or so. (when hunting )
Practice , practice and more practice , till you keep getting the groups you like , where you want to hit , at the range you need.
Keep in practice.
I vote more practice , less gear or stuff for your bow ( or rifle for that matter ) every time.
Andy

Last Edited:
Bull's eye. Or miss? o_O

301266_10150329122570863_1574038082_n.jpg

Ask the French about Crecy and Agincourt et al .... :D
I bet they would have liked some "Unacceptable Archery"
Or would they have found the English and Welsh archery unacceptable?
( to their casualties )
Andy

Rule of thumb is inches to yards. 2" groups at 20 yards. 3" groups at 30 yards. 4" groups at 40 yards and so on. So arrows 2 inches from each other, or better at 20 yards is a solid grouping.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top