JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have been shooting bows since I was 6 but up until a year ago have been doing rifle hunting and am going bow hunting. What is an acceptable archery group? I have a Red Wing Hunter recurve bow and am shooting 1 inch groups all within a 3 inch circle of the bullseye at 20 yards. Is that close enough to the bullseye? I have thought about getting a stabilizer but My threads are 5/16ths instead of the standard 6/16ths.

i shoot a compound bow and when i am practicing, if theyre all not touching or close to from 20,30 & 40 yards its no good. its ok if it opens up alittlefrom 50-80 and from 90-130 im happy with all my arrows being toward the center of the bag. not the outside edges or in the dirt pile behind my target. i would say youre doing great with a recurve!

I shoot either a home made osage 58# longbow or a Hickory 52# longbow.
No sights , just instinctive style shooting.
When I keep in practice I can keep my shots within 1-3 inches of each other out to 40 yards.
There have been more than a few times when I have gouged my arrows or ripped a fletching with arrows hitting too close.

Notice I say when I keep in practice ... I need to shoot more its been awhile.
For me , when I am in practice my limit is 30 yards or so. (when hunting )
Practice , practice and more practice , till you keep getting the groups you like , where you want to hit , at the range you need.
Keep in practice.
I vote more practice , less gear or stuff for your bow ( or rifle for that matter ) every time.
Andy

Last Edited:
Bull's eye. Or miss? o_O

301266_10150329122570863_1574038082_n.jpg

Ask the French about Crecy and Agincourt et al .... :D
I bet they would have liked some "Unacceptable Archery"
Or would they have found the English and Welsh archery unacceptable?
( to their casualties )
Andy

Rule of thumb is inches to yards. 2" groups at 20 yards. 3" groups at 30 yards. 4" groups at 40 yards and so on. So arrows 2 inches from each other, or better at 20 yards is a solid grouping.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top