JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Is there any good guides from a lawyer or other good sources? I am lucky enough to own several good safes but wonder what it means for my shotgun that I leave unlocked or locked in the glove box when I have to enter gun free zones. I live alone and have no kids in my life, so unless someone commits a crime they wouldn't be able to access my guns, but I have a sickening hunch this isn't good enough. I also read that law enforcement is allowed to inspect your storage yearly.

So yeah, some legit legal sources of advice would be welcome.

Hi neighbor to the north. I really like the ShotLock series of safes from TruckVault. They have simplex locks and 14 gauge steel construction. We have several 1911 vaults https://www.amazon.com/SHOT-LOCK-1911-Handgun-Solo-Vault/dp/B009OGLG04/ in the house and cars for quick access.

They make one for shotguns https://www.amazon.com/ShotLock-S-SLC01-02-Shotgun-Classic-Solo-Vault/dp/B007UT14FO/

If you trust electronics Hornady has a line you may like. https://www.amazon.com/Hornady-98180-RAPiD-Shotgun-Touch/dp/B01N4T4LSU/

Unfortunately Sheriff Crider, Chief Bieber and Chief Tomaras all said that they will enforce I-1639. Which is why we are now switching our shopping dollars to TriCities and Spokane.

Walla Walla County Sheriff to enforce 1639 while opposing it

As for I-1639, it contradicts itself in several areas in addition to being unconstitutional.

Is there any good guides from a lawyer or other good sources? I am lucky enough to own several good safes but wonder what it means for my shotgun that I leave unlocked or locked in the glove box when I have to enter gun free zones. I live alone and have no kids in my life, so unless someone commits a crime they wouldn't be able to access my guns, but I have a sickening hunch this isn't good enough. I also read that law enforcement is allowed to inspect your storage yearly.

While this winds its way through the courts this is my take. At home, our kids are gone, I will often have a gun out. Don't care. No matter what some law claims I can not yet see the Police having the time or manpower to just start showing up at peoples door. Saying we are coming in to see where your guns are. Now if some friend or family has it in for you and calls them? Now that is a whole new game.
Your vehicle now that is another situation. If the car is broken into and some scum steals the gun, and it ends up in a crime? Now you "may" have some problems. One important thing with all this to me is just like if you use a gun for defense. After all is over be damn careful what you say to authorities. If they start asking questions that is when it would be time to shut up, and seek legal help. If anyone does get in a tight spot with this I suspect it will be most likely that they let their mouth get ahead of their brain.

So if one person or a couple lives in a home with guns and you have one or two out for self defense OR for cleaning them (NO children or visitors near your guns or INSIDE your house.) - the police can come to your house to INSPECT your storage of said gun/guns or gun safe even if there is NO - ZERO complaint or report against you made by some crazy person, an anti gun person, a EX family member or someone who has a beef with you and is out to get you as a gun lady or man?!

So with NO complaint or report against you - the authorities have the right to knock on your door willy nilly with NO warning or even with a warning letter like some county/city real estate tax evaluation deal?

Cate

From what I read in the law, the only way you could be in trouble is if you left your firearms unsecured where it was likely that a prohibited person could get access, and then did something illegal with them. For instance, if you have a 14yr old living with you and you left your guns unlocked and they took them to school and shot someone, or brandished them, etc.

But, if you have unsecured weapons in your home, or your vehicle, and some stranger unlawfully enters your home or vehicle and steals them and then uses them illegally, then you cannot be charged.

At least that is how the last version of the law reads...

https://www.sos.wa.gov/_assets/elections/initiatives/finaltext_1531.pdf

NEW SECTION. Sec. 5. SECURE GUN STORAGE. A new section is added to chapter 9.41 RCW to read as follows:

(1) A person who stores or leaves a firearm in a location where the person knows, or reasonably should know, that a prohibited person may gain access to the firearm:

(a) Is guilty of community endangerment due to unsafe storage of a firearm in the first degree if a prohibited person obtains access and possession of the firearm and causes personal injury or death with the firearm; or

(b) Is guilty of community endangerment due to unsafe storage of a firearm in the second degree if a prohibited person obtains access and possession of the firearm and:

(i) Causes the firearm to discharge;

(ii) Carries, exhibits, or displays the firearm in a public place in a manner that either manifests an intent to intimidate another or that warrants alarm for the safety of other persons; or

(iii) Uses the firearm in the commission of a crime.

(2)(a) Community endangerment due to unsafe storage of a firearm in the first degree is a class C felony punishable according to chapter 9A.20 RCW.

(b) Community endangerment due to unsafe storage of a firearm in the second degree is a gross misdemeanor punishable according to chapter 9A.20 RCW.

(3) Subsection (1) of this section does not apply if:

(a) The firearm was in secure gun storage, or secured with a trigger lock or similar device that is designed to prevent the unauthorized use or discharge of the firearm;

(b) In the case of a person who is a prohibited person on the basis of the person's age, access to the firearm is with the lawful permission of the prohibited person's parent or guardian and supervised by an adult, or is in accordance with RCW 9.41.042;

(c) The prohibited person obtains, or obtains and discharges, the firearm in a lawful act of self-defense; or

(d) The prohibited person's access to the firearm was obtained as a result of an unlawful entry, provided that the unauthorized access or theft of the firearm is reported to a local law enforcement agency in the jurisdiction in which the unauthorized access or theft occurred within five days of the time the victim of the unlawful entry knew or reasonably should have known that the firearm had been taken.

So if one person or a couple lives in a home with guns and you have one or two out for self defense OR for cleaning them (NO children or visitors near your guns or INSIDE your house.) - the police can come to your house to INSPECT your storage of said gun/guns or gun safe even if there is NO - ZERO complaint or report against you made by some crazy person, an anti gun person, a EX family member or someone who has a beef with you and is out to get you as a gun lady or man?!

So with NO complaint or report against you - the authorities have the right to knock on your door willy nilly with NO warning or even with a warning letter like some county/city real estate tax evaluation deal?

Cate

Sadly many have for years not wanted to see that the Constitution has no power. The only reason any of it still does anything is people in power mostly decide to honor it. Some judge can at any time take any "rights" from anyone they wish. Then it's up to that person to fight it. If the people in power can get the "people" to just lay down and let them walk on them, well they get walked on. Who knows how far this will have to go to get people to wake up and vote.

Also remember that the second amendment was already deemed in the supreme Court to cover self defense in the home according to the ruling in DC vs Heller so likely the gun storage requirement will not hold water in the courts.

This is what I don't get, if the local courts and police are just going to ignore supreme Court decisions then what's the point of even having a legal system?

Everyone is all excited about the new case being taken up for the NY travel requirements which is set to start in October but... Couldn't the lower courts just ignore that too?

Justice is dead.

Also remember that the second amendment was already deemed in the supreme Court to cover self defense in the home according to the ruling in DC vs Heller so likely the gun storage requirement will not hold water in the courts.

This is what I don't get, if the local courts and police are just going to ignore supreme Court decisions then what's the point of even having a legal system?

Everyone is all excited about the new case being taken up for the NY travel requirements which is set to start in October but... Couldn't the lower courts just ignore that too?

Justice is dead.
Excellent questions...and they do make one ponder.

THE PROBLEM IS......that some people think that the 2nd A says......

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed, unless I say it's reasonable.

Aloha, Mark

The storage rules are are pretty vague and full of holes but if you are at home I think it is pretty clear you can have your firearms out and not locked up. Also at this point they are not going to do random inspections. In my mind it would take a unlikely set of circumstances that you could ever get jammed up over this if you continue to use common sense. This is just another worthless ineffective law that the anti gunners have convinced their constituents it makes them safer. I know what makes me feel safer.

Justice is dead.

Yes courts can ignore anything they want until a higher court forces the issue. This is what I mean that many do not seem to get. The constitution means only what some judge says it means. Until more wake up and vote to protect all their rights courts will keep taking them away. After all if the people vote for it who do they blame?

You carry a shotgun in your glovebox? You must have one huge glovebox. :eek:

A lot of these recent laws that were passed are good for prosecution against gun owners. If you think about it, if a low life piece of scum breaks into your home with a portable plasma torch, and cuts through your safe like a hot knife going through butter, steals your firearms, commits crimes or murders someone, prosecutors won't prosecute someone that has nothing. They now get to go after you. Take whatever firearms you might still have and place huge fines against you.

These laws were forced upon us to give "them" one more way to gun control.

The constitution means only what some judge says it means

At least until they enforce it more. For example in the states that nullified the NFA the feds went after people that broke the NFA.

Why are the feds not doing the same for judges and police that are going against federal law on these issues? It's because it's their own club, they developed a system where the average citizen has less importance then government employees.

It's a double standard that is destroying our system of law.

You carry a shotgun in your glovebox? You must have one huge glovebox. :eek:

A lot of these recent laws that were passed are good for prosecution against gun owners. If you think about it, if a low life piece of scum breaks into your home with a portable plasma torch, and cuts through your safe like a hot knife going through butter, steals your firearms, commits crimes or murders someone, prosecutors won't prosecute someone that has nothing. They now get to go after you. Take whatever firearms you might still have and place huge fines against you.

These laws were forced upon us to give "them" one more way to gun control.

How can you possibly think that's true??

Did you not read the exact wording of the law I quoted above that says specifically what you just said is completely false?

Seriously, I think some gun owners have the conservative version of TDS regarding this law. They absolutely refuse to listen to truth and fact and are just making the most ridiculous stuff up for God knows what reason.

Yes, I-1639 is a worthless commie POS encroachment on our right, but some of the things that people on this very forum are saying about it are disturbingly inaccurate.

I found this forum because I was looking for a site that would have people who would have more insight into the new laws in Washington. But I have seen a lot of very misinformed people who have apparently either not read the actual law or refuse to listen to anyone that has and just want to repeat rumors they heard in a gun shop.

Did you not read the exact wording of the law I quoted above that says specifically what you just said is completely false?

Seriously, I think some gun owners have the conservative version of TDS regarding this law. They absolutely refuse to listen to truth and fact and are just making the most ridiculous stuff up for God knows what reason.

Yes, I-1639 is a worthless commie POS encroachment on our right, but some of the things that people on this very forum are saying about it are disturbingly inaccurate.

I found this forum because I was looking for a site that would have people who would have more insight into the new laws in Washington. But I have seen a lot of very misinformed people who have apparently either not read the actual law or refuse to listen to anyone that has and just want to repeat rumors they heard in a gun shop.
Sorry for your disappointment, pal, but we are more than just "gun owners".

I went back and re-read it (again). You know as well as I do that the "law" doesn't care about "technicalities". They will confiscate everything you have. THEN, you will have to pay a small fortune to fight for your stuff (that was illegally seized). Whatever is put in writing by Ferguson (et al of them in Olympia) and forced upon us, can be guaranteed that it is NOT in the law abiding citizens best interest.

Do you remember that it is written "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED" ??? How many times have they flat out ignored that?

This is the same as passing 1639 for the safety of the people of Washington. Yeah, right!

*edited*

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews