JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The entire Crux of the thread is how 1639 affects the storage of firearms and how to protect against the new law.

I was all ready to spend thousands of dollars on safes for my home and vehicles. Then I talked to my FFL and a deputy who told me to actually read the law and stop panicking.

So I did.

Gun owners spreading untrue hyperbole only hurts our cause and makes us all look bad.

No idea why simply asking people to educate themselves triggers them.

Having (quickly) read through it, there does not appear to be any part of 1639 that allows state authorities or law enforcement to inspect homes for safe gun storage. If so, it would clearly be a violation of the Fourth Amendment.

Perhaps I'm wrong, but if so, please educate me by citing the relevant section of 1639.

Last Edited:
I understand the sentiment that ANY gun regulation is a gross encroachment on our constitutional rights and I am not in favor of ANY further regulations.

Furthermore, I agree that the ultimate goal of ANY gun control regulation is not to protect the innocent, but rather to enslave the innocent and endanger those of us who seek to exercise not only our constitutional right, but a God-given right to self-defense.

But we still have to remain rational and be smart when arguing against these regulations. It hurts our argument when we complain about cops coming in and inspecting our guns when there is nothing in the law regarding that.

We might as well say that 1639 allows cops to arrest anyone with a Molon Labe sticker on their vehicle and makes them trade in their SUVs for purple unicorns. Spreading hyperbole does no one any good.

The entire Crux of the thread is how 1639 affects the storage of firearms and how to protect against the new law.

I was all ready to spend thousands of dollars on safes for my home and vehicles. Then I talked to my FFL and a deputy who told me to actually read the law and stop panicking.

So I did.

Gun owners spreading untrue hyperbole only hurts our cause and makes us all look bad.

No idea why simply asking people to educate themselves triggers them.
Can't blame people for feeling like OR and WA are turning into CA, NJ, NY, MA, etc. That is very real and something to be worried about, hyperbole or not.

Can't blame people for feeling like OR and WA are turning into CA, NJ, NY, MA, etc. That is very real and something to be worried about, hyperbole or not.

Absolutely. They ARE turning into CA, NJ, NY, MA, etc.

But repeating outright lies about what the law actually says is hurting all gunowners. That was my only point. Be educated and stop repeating nonsense.

I also read that law enforcement is allowed to inspect your storage yearly.

That is incorrect. See the Fourth Amendment in the Bill of Rights. Also by my reading of 1639 there is no provision to permit law enforcement inspections of private homes, which would violate the Fourth Amendment.

If your firearms are stored securely you have little to worry about, as others have shown.

I get the concern. I think the gun-grabbers are working overtime in the legislature, but for now we still have the right to remain largely unmolested by government intrusion into our homes.

It's a game of probability really. Safe storage laws are not for police to go house to house making sure your firearms are locked up. As someone mentioned, they don't have the manpower for that.

Safe storage laws exist primarily for the situation after a crime has been committed. If your firearm is stolen and used in the commission of a crime, the police will probably investigate compliance with the safe storage law.

Since the probability is that 99.9% of us will never have our firearms stolen and used in the commission of a crime, there is a low probability we'll be affected.

You carry a shotgun in your glovebox? You must have one huge glovebox. :eek:

A lot of these recent laws that were passed are good for prosecution against gun owners. If you think about it, if a low life piece of scum breaks into your home with a portable plasma torch, and cuts through your safe like a hot knife going through butter, steals your firearms, commits crimes or murders someone, prosecutors won't prosecute someone that has nothing. They now get to go after you. Take whatever firearms you might still have and place huge fines against you.

These laws were forced upon us to give "them" one more way to gun control.

Haha no, though my Remington "other firearm" easily fits many places in my truck. Normally it's a old 1911 or Glock in there and something smaller on my person. Might just have to be more bold and stop worrying about concealed carry woredrobe manfuction days..

You might want to wait until this Possible up coming Law :mad::mad::mad: actually gets done with the Courts. It's going to be a Long time before anyone comes looking. At least, this my Opinion. :):):)

I think in the Bill of Right or Constitution there is a passage about unreasonable search and seizure, or search warrant to come in your home. These Nazi style politicos will make a whole bunch of rules hoping one small part will be OK so they can drive a wedge in our rights...They are above the law in their own little world. Power is their goal....Spad:mad:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top