JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Mass shootings aren't more frequent _ but they are deadlier

ABC [I]News[/I] said:
It can sometimes seem as though mass shootings are occurring more frequently. Researchers who have been studying such crimes for decades say they aren't,...

/Snip/

While mass shootings happen with regularity, they still remain so rare* that there isn't enough information to draw conclusions with any certainty.

/Snip/

"Some years are worse than others, and bad years tend to be followed by not-so-bad years," Fox said. While two of the deadliest took place this year, "you can't take the actions of one or two people and call it a new phenomenon. That's abberational. You can't make any pattern or trend based on that."

/Snip/

In half of the deadliest mass shootings, the perpetrator used at least one AR-style firearm. In one, the massacre at a McDonald's in San Ysidro, California, in 1984, the shooter used an Uzi submachine gun. The others were carried out with handguns, the weapon used in the majority of mass shootings.*

"Contrary to what some folks may think, the incidence of mass public shootings has not increased since Sandy Hook or even the five years before that,*" Duwe said.
*Emphasis mine

While the story is still slanted to cast doubt against "the wide availability of firearms" in America, the "much-maligned "assault weapon" with its military style" and the infamous "AR-style firearm"........... they were at least more honest than usual when it comes to anything involving firearms.

Ray

... they were at least more honest than usual when it comes to anything involving firearms.

True, but sad none-the-less. It's newsworthy when habitual liars slip up and tell the truth.

Given their history on the subject, one naturally wonders whether this is just a minor course correction to adjust their anti-2a message along a slightly different trajectory.

True, but sad none-the-less. It's newsworthy when habitual liars slip up and tell the truth.

Given their history on the subject, one naturally wonders whether this is just a minor course correction to adjust their anti-2a message along a slightly different trajectory.

Or maybe they didn't actually read the story and only checked to see if enough of the anti-gun catch phrases were in the story:

Mass shooting-check
Sandy Hook mentioned numerous times-check
Dead Children-check
Pulse night club body count-check
Vegas body count-check
The word "deadly","deadlier" even more scary-check
Availability of/to guns-check
AR-check
"Assault Weapon"-check
"Military"-check
bump stocks-check
Automatic weapons-check

While I agree with you, it's also a good possibility that this one slipped through the cracks.

Ray

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads