JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
A pal has recently contacted me about buying a second-hand rifle in the USA which purports to be a genuine Parker-Hale rifle in all respects, having come from DGW as a used gun a number of years back.

Since there is still a lot of myth and legend (and pure hokey) surrounding these fine guns, I thought I'd put up a few pics of one of mine, the Carbine Model of 1861, often called a Musketoon, for you to use for reference. It's a very handy brush gun with a decent load, so I'm told. Here in UK it makes neither the required velocity nor the muzzle energy - so it can't possibly work, right? ;)

Apologies for the maybe-not-so-good pics here and there, but as many of you know, taking close-ups of a round barrel can be a mite difficult.

ALL genuine BREECHED PH barrels were Birmingham proofed - no exceptions to this - it is the law here in UK since since Noah was looking at a bunch of trees and thinking what a fine boat they'd make. In the dispersion of PH's assets to Italy and the Euroarms factory, those that were simply bored through, without a breech plug, could not therefore be subject to any kind of proof back in UK, so you MAY find a PH barrel with Italian proof marks on it - it will have been fitted with a breech plug and proofed in Gardone Val Trompia, Brescia, location of Italy's national proof house.

All genuine PH-built guns stopped at around serial #9000 or so - give or take a couple of hundred. After that, the genuine PH barrels ALL ran out at around #14000. And after that, the entire gun was Italian-made.

The serial number will be stamped left on the barrel, clearly visible above the wood line. Some three-band rifle may have the letter H in front of the number - ie. H3445. This denotes Henry rifling.

1607789229548-png.png

Figure 1 - position and style of the serial number.

The PH cartouche will be deeply stamped on the RH bottom of the butt.

53934-d34e244975c74c264cfd97859e2dc316.png
Figure 2 - brand stamp.

The barrel bands will be deep-blued to match the rest of the gun, and the furniture will ALL be brass - trigger guard and butt plate.

1607789279703-png.png

Figure 3 - overall view. The ramrod is the original ram rod, and remembering that this is an older production gun, a later production version MAY have a brass tip.

The nail - what you call the tang screw, will usually be colour case-hardened like the lock plate. Note than unlike the Italian versions, this is correctly done with bone fragments to give a deeply fused colour, not an overlay of bone powder 'flashed in' with a gas torch, and which readily scrapes off with a fingernail.

The proof stamps will be found at 6 o/clock on the barrel directly under the breech area - note the muzzle is pointing to the left -

1607787554580-png.png

Figure 4 - Left to right -

Crown over BP = Birmingham Proof.

3 1/2 DRAMS BLACK POWDER - this is the proof load - NOT the day-to-day recommended load. 1 Dram = 27.3438gr - so this is just over 95gr. Shooting THIS load with the correct bullet, a 535gr Minié, is possible, but genuinely not nice. Try it once it you care too, but by yourself, OK? The in-service British load for the Enfield rifle, two or three-band, was 2 1/2 drams - 68gr. The carbine load, where applied, was just 2 drams, about the same as the US service load for the Springfield rifled musket. All work well - you choose.

577 GRs = calibre of the arm in inches.

536 grs Bullet = weight of the appropriate Minié bullet.

Crown over crossed scepters with sundry lettering = left and right letters give the date code, and the number in the bottom centre is the ID code for the inspector - 1 = top dog, working down to 9. I've never seen anything lower than a six.

Rolled lettering on the barrel at 12 o/clock -

1607788217949-png.png

Figure 5 - Maker's name.

PH Lock plate -

1607788580652-png.png

Figure 6 - Lockplate view.

Note that some have a bolster screw. Date over Enfield, and crown over PH. Note also the fit on this fifty-year-old gun, and the quality of the colour hardening. This gun gets USED - most guest days, once a month, maybe thirty/forty shots. Another thing to note is that the barrel bands are ALL blued - not colour cased. Pedersoli and Euroarms guns are usually the latter.

And while we have made the odd mention to the PH Whitworth rifle - note the location of the title on my early PH gun -

1607897730349.png

Figure 7 - Sir Joseph Whitworths Patent Rifling - - 451 Cal.

...and the simple design of the lockplate -

1607789954219-png.png

Figure 8 - Whitworth rifle lockplate.

1607790132295-png.png

Figure 9 - Whitworth rifle - PH version.

Please feel free to correct any mistales here.

Last Edited:
I like to think that even at my advanced annual count of solar circulations that I can still make some kind of contribution to the folks on this forum who took me in when I was cold - metaphorically-speaking, that is.

1607793033715.png

Howany, Guys and Lady Cate, this here is the Birmingham Proof House data on their proof marks - expect to see anything from 1967 onwards on your Parker-Hale rifle or carbEEn.
1607896358514.png

THIS is a date stamp for a 1980-made and proofed rifle, courtesy of jdesro over on muzzleloadingforum.com.

1607896538018.png

Andy, sit down. I have something to show you that you MIGHT just like to see...

I'm shortly going to be acquiring THIS from a local shooter. Due to the way things work here, I can't actually 'acquire and possess it' yet because it is only authorised on my new FAC, that doesn't come into force until early January. Of course, that will stop me using it to carry out many armed robberies and corner store hold-ups, as well as sundry muggings and 'demanding money with menaces'.

1607897206925-png.png
1607897494299.png
1607897569701.png 1607897526776.png
1607897642313.png

Just to let you know that I've found around sixty Lyman 535gr multi-groove bullets, and my best daughter has donated me a nice big square sheet of heavy felting from a sofa repair to use to make greasy wads. The over-powder [80gr of 2Fg] wad is a shiny-one-side cardboard item, followed by the greasy wad followed by the bullet, pressed down with about 40# pressure. Then the bore is wiped out, the rifle capped and KA-boom.

1607898140616.png

Very nice....do you have a proper mold for this rifle...?
If not , I'd be happy to keep my eye out for one , for you.
Andy

That's very kind of you, Andy, and by all means do so. Hex moulds are VERY hard to come by - a genuine item, made from a section of Whitworth barrel with a screw-on nose-piece sold for about $2200 here in UK ten years ago - I don't think for one minute you are going to find such a rara avis in our neck of the wood - but, you never know, right?

Well, what comes with it is the Lyman mould 535451 - as issued when the rifle was new. Also with it is the 'impact' sizing die, although again, I've found a Lee item in among the glurn when I moved into the new shed. I have a circular .45cal wad-cutter, but the old hex item went back when I sold the first one. THAT only happened because my home insurance company didn't like me having BP on the premises [huh?], and as you know, trying to shoot something like this using any kind of a sub is waste of time and money.

The Polisars in Albuquerque were my source of their beautiful swaged bullet, but they seem to have disappeared off the map now [:(], but right now I'm happy to shoot the Lyman cylindrical version. There were a couple of people making hex moulds - Romano in New York, and Kranken in The Netherlands - both were north of $400 at the turn of the century, and both are now gone. The Pedersoli mould is nice looking, if capandball's bullets are anything to go by, but even that is around $200.

We'll see how I get on with the bullets I have found - all sized to .451" but not yet lubed up. I feel that given our climate here a 70/30 Bees wax/Neat's foot oil - what I used before, would be appropriate, but I'm ready to listen to the Master. :)

Last Edited:
Yikes...!
Well I kinda doubt that I will find an original mold too...but if one doesn't look , one will never find.

I do see old odd ball stuff at various shoots and shows so who knows...
I was thinking of the Lyman and Pedersoli molds , since have a Lyman , I'll keep a weather eye out for the Pedersoli mold.
Bullets may be an easier find , as I have come across those before.

I like your lube mixture , might have to give that a try.
Right now I am using deer tallow and the last of my bear grease. , not sure of the proportions , I just mix a little together , till it feels right.
Andy

Deer tallow? Nope. Sheep tallow and lanolin, real easy to find.

Bear grease? Double nope - the Romans kilt 'em all about 1800 years ago.

We don't have the huge vagaries of temperatures like you do, even in the PNW. Sure, I've been there when it's been a 100F in Portland or the Dalles, and -10F up Mt Gleep, or, as you call it, Mt Hood. as well, but never had weather like we have in Canadia the Beautiful, of +40 to -40.

Pat Kaboskey may be of some help with bullets. [email protected] This is his web address.

I got his name from Lodgewood MFG. they deal with military muzzle loaders.
On the Lodgewood site it lists that he does "Civil War Custom Bullets."
Andy

The only problem with buying bullets in the US is the truly horrendous shipping charge, especially for something made of lead. I'll have to think on that one, but I thank you anyhow.

Lucky for me, my family weren't local at the time. My dad's folk were still yoiking it up in Scania, not having left to invade Ireland for another three hundred and fifty years, and my mom's folk were likely slaves for a Roman farmer in Northern France [Gaul, then].

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top