JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I couldn't resist buying this at $50 a few years back. Bought it from a young lady who said she got it from her WW2 Grandpa. Maybe its fake, maybe not, what are your thoughts? I dont shoot black powder, but its a sweet wall hanger. I did some research a few years ago and it resembles a late 1700s French Calvalry pistol. There are wood repairs, and it looks old, but im still not sure.

20211118_235357.jpg 20211118_235303.jpg 20211118_235241.jpg 20211118_235209.jpg 20211118_235152.jpg 20211118_235057.jpg 20211118_235053.jpg 20211118_235050.jpg 20211118_235037.jpg 20211118_235033.jpg 20211118_235020.jpg 20211118_235011.jpg 20211118_235000.jpg

Last Edited:
Well, for a start, the bolster and the face of the lock do not match, nor is it late 1700's, having been converted from flintlock, as you can see by the filled-in holes. It is a percussion pistol, and percussion pistols did not come into military usage until the latter part of the 1830's. It does have a lot in common with French-style lancers' pistols of the day, that's true. It is probably intended to replicate the pistolet de chasseur modelle of 1811, but I'm not happy with it being the real deal.
1811-french-model-xiii-cavalry-pistol-converted-01.jpg

Nevertheless, you did well for $50...

Last Edited:
To my eye it look like a French or Belgian cavalry pistol of the 1830's.
It was never a flintlock nor has it been converted...so it is not from the late 1700's.

Something to consider is that right after WWII the souvenir trade was big...and many guns were put together from parts that were on hand.
Some "antique" guns were made new from old or antique parts...this may be the case here.

I do think that if this is indeed an original military pistol from the 1830's , that the hammer has been replaced by a civilian / sporting gun hammer.
Andy

Last Edited:
Nice object to make up fun stories to tell your grandkids.....

"When I joined the war they issued this pistol and a carton of cigarettes. I did 3 tours with this thing and it saved my hid on more than 1 occasion....."

:s0140:

I do have to agree, it is a neat ol' wall-hanger.

It was never a flintlock nor has it been converted...so it is not from the late 1700's.

Something to consider is that right after WWII the souvenir trade was big...and many guns were put together from parts that were on hand.
Some "antique" guns were made new from old or antique parts...this may be the case here.

I do think that if this is indeed an original military pistol from the 1830's , that the hammer has been replaced by a civilian / sporting gun hammer.
I think you are spot on with the souvenier logic. The brass parts are subtlely different in a few locations, and something about some of the other metal feels "cheap." Thanks for the info!

I think you are spot on with the souvenier logic. The brass parts are subtlely different in a few locations, and something about some of the other metal feels "cheap." Thanks for the info

Last Edited:
Thanks for the replies and info! I am guessing its most likely an hodge podge mix of repro and maybe a few original parts, some sort of older souvineer. And the best AMT said, probably best for just having fun with. Ill probably end up burying it with a fake skeleton, a pirate had, and a few cast silver bars in the middle of nowhere. Make my kids a little aged treasure map and accidentally leave it in the woods somewhere ;)

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top