JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Good job calling 911 and staying away.

Thats what I would have done.

If a situation like that happens and the "man" starts hitting the "woman" I would still stay away, and call 911 again so the PD can get a update. If you do decide to go over there, I would leave the gun at home and grab a bottle of mace. It is sickening to know how much trouble you can get into, just trying to help out, if you have a gun.

Last night the cops brought my neighbor home drunk (at 6pm no less). Once the cops left, she was outside of their house beating on the windows with her purse. Some lady walking down the street got involved and started shouting at her that she had called the cops. It didn't get physical, but it looked like it was about to. They got into a yelling match before the drunk one took off down the street. It took about 15 minutes for the cops to show, but she was already gone.

Sometimes I wonder

Tricky business for sure. What if a couple a jackwagons are arguing on their front lawn, and one pulls out a gun? It's happened where some gansta wannabe fires a flier and it hits some little girl on a tricycle across the street.

On the one hand, it makes sense to stay out of it, but with the (rare) possibility of a tragic outcome, you could have some serious regret if you did nothing.

Are we seeing a trend here with Hillsboro? I live in a pretty decent part of town over near Century High School and just behind the skate park, but there's parts of Hillsboro where I won't even go in the daytime. The worst is probably the 3-4 blocks west of downtown Hillsboro. No community is immune to DD's, but we seem to have more than our fair share in Hillsboro.

I live over by Brookwood Elementary/Turner Creek which is a decent neighborhood. It just seems that every neighborhood in Hillsboro has some element of trashy people in it. No real crime though like around downtown Hillsboro at least.

I live over by Brookwood Elementary/Turner Creek which is a decent neighborhood. It just seems that every neighborhood in Hillsboro has some element of trashy people in it. No real crime though like around downtown Hillsboro at least.

We haven't had any serious crime in my neighborhood either, but I have noticed an uptick in the last 9 mos or so in the number of people who have had they cars broken into. Mine included.

A neighbor two doors down heard her dog growling at the front window around midnight about a week ago and looked out just in time to see some guy in a hoody running away from her car in her driveway. She called the Hillsboro PD and they responded with a K9 and actually caught the guy within about 10 minutes. You don't see that happen very often! They last she saw the PD had him in the back of the cruiser pointing out all the cars he had broken into and telling them what he had taken out of each car.

My neighborhood seems to be going down the toilet now. :(

Body dumped down the street a while ago, somebody's been trying to break into my car since december (or they are just harassing me at 4am constantly), and my next door neighbor called the police about gunshots being fired the other night(which I slept through). 911 operator told him that he's not the only person who called about the gun shots, it's good to hear that more of the neighborhood is being pro-active in at least reporting incidents.

Eh, it is probably the crappy economy. The lower class has less money (despite what I give them out of my taxes), so they tend to take it.

DDs are going to be up because they are directly related to stress, which is also directly related to financial situations.

Are we seeing a trend here with Hillsboro? I live in a pretty decent part of town over near Century High School and just behind the skate park, but there's parts of Hillsboro where I won't even go in the daytime. The worst is probably the 3-4 blocks west of downtown Hillsboro. No community is immune to DD's, but we seem to have more than our fair share in Hillsboro.

Hmm. Sounds a lot like my part of Hillsboro. But we haven't had a drive by in years; the fire department burned down the crack house ages ago; and the guys that broke into the house down the street for drugs got shot (also quite some time ago). It's actually been fairly quiet around here, relatively so I guess it has improved. Even a lot of the gang tags haven't shown up. And yet the economic and ethnic makeup hasn't changed much. I'm think it's due to effective police work in the community.

elsie

Getting involved in a domestic dispute (as a third party) is unwise at best. If someone is willing to hit a "loved one," they are probably willing to hit you. Even the person you are trying to protect might turn against you when you step in and start administering a righteous buttkicking to the aggressor.

Absolutely. I know a cop who responded to a DD of a man beating his partner and while subduing him she came from behind and nailed him in the back with a baseball bat. DD procedures today are much better than in the past, but the fact remains the victim ended up badly injuring the officer.

I've never been one for apathy, but living in Seattle metro for over a year has affected me. Population density and apathy are direct relationship and it gives me an idea of how appalling extremes like Kitty Genovese are possible in certain environments.

Concrete jungles like Seattle are hubs of technology, capitalism and culture. Strange how humanity gets lost at the forefront. You did the right thing for that situation and should it happen again, not hesitate from repeating your procedure. Now getting involved is a puzzle of 1000 Ifs only you will be able to marginally solve and act on at that point in time. Prior experience and training of course solves more of this puzzle.

Last Friday afternoon I had taken off early from work to run some errands. Got home around 2 PM watched a little TV. About 3 PM I decided to go out and sit on the deck since it was pretty nice out. I went to sit down and noticed there were some very loud raised voices coming from a few doors down. I got up an went over on the deck where I could see over the gate into the front yard and saw the house kitty corner across the street where there were three people, a man and two women standing and screaming at each other.

There were matresses, boxes, and bags piled up by a truck and a car so it looked like someone was moving out. All of a sudden they start throwing bags of stuff at each other and then the pushing starts. I decided to call 911 before things got out of hand. I gave 911 the address and told them they needed to get a patrol car rolling to the address before this thing escalated and someone got hurt. They said they were dispatching a unit.

I was armed, as I always am, but had not intention of trying to get in the middle of their beef and try to difuse things as if I had done that I would probably have ended up in a fight with all three of them. If I had seen any serious violence escalate I might have tried to do something, but I was hoping the PD would get there before that happened.

As it ended up it was a mother, her daughter in law, and the daughter in law's husband that were having a beef over property and bills. The daugher in law and the husband left right as the PD was rolling up. The PD took a report and eventually left.

Not really looking for anyone to evaluate my tactics, but they can comment if they want to. They main thing this brought home to me is how LONG 3-4 minutes is before the PD can respond. It seemed like an eternity. It makes me shake my head even more over the folks that say you don't need a gun for protection, that is what the police are for.

Remember the old saying, when seconds count the police are minutes away.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top