JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Today I ordered a Speedy Sticher thinking that it would be handy for fixing cloth and leather stuff. Anybody have one, if so what do you think of it. What sparked my interest is I have a folding camp chair that the stitching gave out on one side of the seat and my wife's repairs haven't held.
a u-tube for those that don't know what this is:

I'm sure most people have know idea how to sew so they wouldn't understand how useful that was regardless. If you are able to use it to save/repair things that would have otherwise been thrown away and replaced for more money, seems like a good tool to have.

Mine has saved various shoes, dog leashes and more. Only minor quibble is the internal spool tends to bind, preventing the cord from feeding. If you can't reach the far side of the stitches, I've found a long hemostat from Harbor Freight can reach them.

I considered an awl essential gear back when I was doing long camping or hiking trips. Along with heavy waxed thread. You need to be able to repair heavy leather or nylon straps or your boots or your backpack itself. Don't forget ordinary thread, needles and a thimble for repairing ordinary clothing either. And two or three buttons in case a zipper malfunctions or you lose a button. And duck tape, string, paracord, and wire for repairing gear or making a shelter with your tarp. You have some small needle nose pliers with a wire cutting indent, of course, in case you need to remove a fish hook from somewhere you'd rather it not be.

Today I ordered a Speedy Sticher thinking that it would be handy for fixing cloth and leather stuff. Anybody have one,
One of my all time favorite cartoons. A Shoe Cobbler showing his son a tool and remarking "someday Son this awl will be yours".

This device appears well made so you can pass it on. :D:)

I used one to repair a canvas camp chair that had ripped. My wife was ready to throw it out, but it was a pretty simple fix. And it was good lesson in thrift for our kids.

I've actually sewed a couple of new holsters with my speedy stitcher, was glad to still have a phone book to put under the item being sewed. I have broken every thin needle I ever bought for mine, so now just stick with the heavier gauge ones

I'm sure most people have know idea how to sew so they wouldn't understand how useful that was regardless. If you are able to use it to save/repair things that would have otherwise been thrown away and replaced for more money, seems like a good tool to have.
We have one in our vehicle bug out kit. Got it several years ago from Harbor freight. Also got a manual gas syphon from them. These are sealed up also.

I had one decades ago that served well for a couple projects. It's still out in my ever growing arcane mound of useful stuff too good to toss out.
My thought is it's good to have stuff and know how to use it, I just don't have to us it every day, kind of like my 300 Win Mag. Wait, is this how horders get started?

I've worn the finish off of two of them ; many holsters, sheaths, packs, repairs etc. Now, the hands too old, sore and bound up for leather that's very thick, so I made a little shoe / platen for the drill press, and chucked the needle up, made a magnetic thread holder on the side. Rather slow stitching, but works, and keeps me feeling useful.
IMGP0202.JPG

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads