JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
From this day forward, we refer to everything as either a "sporting firearm" or "personal defense weapon"... the term assault weapon, which the statist left has once again cleverly sewed into the discussion to serve their agenda and demonize, is stricken from our discussions.

Sporting firearms and personal defense weapons are not mutually exclusive; both are capable of serving the needs of law abiding citizens recreation and protection needs.

Don't allow them to dictate the dialogue or the definitions applied :s0155:

Who are you to tell others how they can speak - if I wish to call it an assault weapon I will regardless of wether you or anyone else likes it. I am not going to let you "dictate the dialogue or the definitions applied" either, as long as I have my right to free speech. If I was asked to not use that term I would consider the request. I will not be told not use terms because you dont like them.

James Ruby

The legal term "Assault Weapon" was most notably used first in the language of the now-expired Public Safety and Recreational Firearms Use Protection Act of 1994, more commonly known as the Federal Assault Weapons Ban, which expired in 2004. The federal assault weapons ban specifically prohibited 19 guns considered to be assault weapons. These were all semi-automatic firearms, meaning that they can eject spent shell casings and chamber the next round without additional human action, but (as opposed to automatic firearms) only one round is fired per pull of the trigger.[13] In addition to the 19 weapons specifically prohibited, the federal assault weapons ban also defined as a prohibited assault weapon any semiautomatic rifle with a detachable magazine and at least two of the following five items: a folding or telescopic stock; a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon; a bayonet mount; a flash suppressor or threaded barrel (a barrel that can accommodate a flash suppressor); or a grenade launcher. The act also defined as a prohibited assault weapon semi-automatic pistols that weighed more than 50 ounces when unloaded or included a barrel shroud, and barred the manufacture of magazines for both pistols and rifles capable of carrying more than 10 rounds.[13]

Assault weapon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Once a "legal term" is defined, it's there to stay :)

*.....the StG44 combined the characteristics of a carbine, submachine gun and automatic rifle.
StG is an abbreviation of Sturmgewehr.
The name was chosen personally by Adolf Hitler for propaganda reasons and literally means "storm rifle" as in "to storm (i.e. "assault") an enemy position".
After the adoption of the StG 44, the English translation "assault rifle" became the accepted designation for this type of infantry small arm."

One round per trigger pull on that AR15 does not an assualt rifle make.

*.....the StG44 combined the characteristics of a carbine, submachine gun and automatic rifle.
StG is an abbreviation of Sturmgewehr.
The name was chosen personally by Adolf Hitler for propaganda reasons and literally means "storm rifle" as in "to storm (i.e. "assault") an enemy position".
After the adoption of the StG 44, the English translation "assault rifle" became the accepted designation for this type of infantry small arm."

One round per trigger pull on that AR15 does not an assualt rifle make.

I agree. It would also be nice if people paid attention, then they would notice that there are two terms - Assault Weapon, a US legal term, and Assault Rifle, a technical term, sometimes mistakenly used instead of the first one.

I saw this on the GOA (I think) website last night.

What freestoneangler is saying we need to take control of the discussion. It's much easier for the gun grabbers to demonize something, and much easier for a low information individual to believe if it has a scary name.

I like the term "defense weapon". I carried a real live "assault weapon" in the USMC, and even though they may look a lot a like, I sure as hell wouldn't want to get into a firefight against the Taliban with what the gun grabbers call an "assault rilfe".

There was a term that was used a long time ago and it went out of fashion in the late 80's, early 90's.
Whether or not it was the correct political usage, it was used to describe a lot of behaviors.

Don’t like hotdogs?….you’re a communist.
Don’t like Lucile Ball?…..you’re a communist.

The short of it was that your friends would make fun of you for doing something out of the ordinary or….even worse…..the government thought you were doing something that was ‘Anti-American’.

If you are against the 2nd amendment than you are Anti-American.
If you suggest we infringe on the 2nd amendment than you are Anti-American.
You may choose to not own a firearm but if you are against civilians owning guns of any kind than you are Anti-American.
I am an American Patriot and those who want to disarm the citizens of the United States must be communists.

Who are you to tell others how they can speak - if I wish to call it an assault weapon I will regardless of wether you or anyone else likes it. I am not going to let you "dictate the dialogue or the definitions applied" either, as long as I have my right to free speech. If I was asked to not use that term I would consider the request. I will not be told not use terms because you dont like them.

James Ruby

Mr. Ruby and anyone else reading this,
Will you please no longer use the term "assault weapon." The main stream media term is not accurate nor applicable to firearms. Using their language only furthers their agenda. Please don't think of this as mocking in any way. I absolutely agree that asking would have been a better approach, I think some people are starting to feel the stress of the current attack on the Constitution. I think this is the worst it's ever been. Of course, the terminology you use is absolutely your Right, and I unwaveringly believe that. The media tends to use terms that are ambiguous or misleading in much of their presentation, such as replacing tax with revenue, or calling welfare an entitlement, to sway the thinking of those incapable of reasoning. Hope I didn't bend your ear too much.
Thanks
C

Last Edited:
While not an owner of any AR-platform rifles (nor a fan of the term "platform" but that goes to another thread), the term Modern Sporting Rifle or MSR has a certain charm, and is more technically correct. But for those who care to debate semantics, let us all agree we are fighting on the same side, against a common enemy.

Mr. Ruby and anyone else reading this,
Will you please no longer use the term "assault weapon." The main stream media term is not accurate nor applicable to firearms. Using their language only furthers their agenda. Please don't think of this as mocking in any way. I absolutely agree that asking would have been a better approach, I think some people are starting to feel the stress of the current attack on the Constitution. I think this is the worst it's ever been. Of course, the terminology you use is absolutely your Right, and I unwaveringly believe that. The media tends to use terms that are ambiguous or misleading in much of their presentation, such as replacing tax with revenue, or calling welfare an entitlement, to sway the thinking of those incapable of reasoning. Hope I didn't bend your ear too much.
Thanks
C

The word please carries alot of weight with me - that I can accept. I am not agaisnt the purpose I am against how the message was deleivered.

James Ruby

"assault weapon" serves those who would try to strike fear into those who are ignorant of fire arms. I try not to use it when speaking of any rifles. Most rifles are derived from military arms (semi auto and bolt) that have been used at one as weapons used to assault others. I don't really care about the historical significance/origin of the term and neither do they. They will use or misuse it any way they wish. It would not be a great leap for these people to carry the term to any rifle.

The word please carries alot of weight with me - that I can accept. I am not agaisnt the purpose I am against how the message was deleivered.

James Ruby

JumpinJimaneez, I thought I wore my suspenders a wee bit on the tight side. For hell sake, I left one word out of my poke and peck post and you paint me as a dictator. Meant to say "From this day forward...we should refer..." Hey, I get all excited with my thoughts and I'm a crappy typer, give a guy a break.

Maybe the other responder is right -- all this constant attack on our rights are beginning to affect us in more ways than it should. We are on the same side (I think) and believe me we will need a strong, unified front to deflect the forth coming barrage.

I understand the message of the post, and agree with it. I think it could have been a useful tool in the fight, if we had tried to start this idea oh, five years ago. But I fear it's too late. The storm is already coming.

JumpinJimaneez, I thought I wore my suspenders a wee bit on the tight side. For hell sake, I left one word out of my poke and peck post and you paint me as a dictator. Meant to say "From this day forward...we should refer..." Hey, I get all excited with my thoughts and I'm a crappy typer, give a guy a break.

Maybe the other responder is right -- all this constant attack on our rights are beginning to affect us in more ways than it should. We are on the same side (I think) and believe me we will need a strong, unified front to deflect the forth coming barrage.

No thin skin here totally got your message and agree. Its right on, lib language is only useful for there agenda not ours.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top