JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A P38...wait are you telling me that there were Nazi's in the Old West...?:eek: :D
Just kidding here...nice sleuthing here.
Andy
According to some footage, yes.

601px-BSSpringfield03-4.jpg

Oh, wait, that's Blazing Saddles.

"Shotty" got covered pretty good.
I think some members involuntary aversion to the term is because it sounds "hood" or "ghetto".
Having some Mexican heritage, I love the word "Cuete" , and always enjoy saying whatever goofy stuff I hear in rap music. Like "choppa" (ak 47)
"Strap" , "click" , "9 milly" , " tree ay dee".

Last year or 2 rappers started using "Llama " for some reason.

I remember the first time I ever heard anyone claim that a revolver is not a pistol. I thought they were nuts and just made it up. Nowadays every once in a while you hear someone say it with an air of authority, and I still think it sounds as silly and made up as the first time I heard it.

It would be pretty funny to go back in time and tell Sam Colt that his new invention isn't a pistol, and watch him scratch his head and wonder what it was then. You'd have to tell him that it would have to be single shot or semi-auto to qualify as a pistol. He'd scratch his head again, wondering what "semi-auto" was, as the word "pistol" predates both revolvers and semi-autos by centuries.

I'm sure someone somewhere along the line decided that there needed to be some kind of legal distinction between semi-autos and revolvers, so they arbitrarily decided that revolvers were no longer pistols. It's a purely made-up distinction that holds no water in any practical sense.

So the ATF says that revolvers are not "pistols"? Who'd have thought that they could possibly be so historically and etymologically wrong? :)
Yup. When it comes to stupid, the government invented "hold my beer and watch this". Although the description of
"Revolver" does say it's a weapon of the pistol type. Remember that our taxes paid some idiot to come up with this stuff. Note that revolvers are by definition only breechloading. So a 1851 navy or Ruger Old Army are not revolvers.

1625287348919.png

1625287453610.png

Last Edited:
Yup. When it comes to stupid, the government invented "hold my beer and watch this". Although the description of
"Revolver" does say it's a weapon of the pistol type. Remember that our taxes paid some idiot to come up with this stuff. Note that revolvers are by definition only breechloading. So a 1851 navy or Ruger Old Army are not revolvers.

View attachment 985077

View attachment 985082
Yea, STUPID!
What about Revolvers that are NOT breach loading, or take a separate ignition source?
Of course, those are normally listed as Non Firearms in some states, but if it "Can" take a cartridge conversion cylinder, then it's a firearm!
Boy howdy do they make it sound like a bunch of teenager girls wrote the rules!
Love the part about the Ruger Old Army NOT being a revolver at all! If they only knew!

One factoid, the term "shotty" has been around since at least the 1950s, because it was employed in Alas, Babylon (1959), by Pat Frank.
"Because if something comes around the Henrys' yard I want him to hit it, not just pop away​
at it in the dark with a twenty-two. I've taught him how to handle the shotty. It'll be loaded with number two buck. He'll do all right."​
Saying "shotty" just makes you sound old. The kids these days call them "small/med/large pattern freedom seed dispersal sticks".

Saying "shotty" just makes you sound old. The kids these days call them "small/med/large pattern freedom seed dispersal sticks".
I'm feeling ignorant of some of the gun culture jargon. I thought that "shotty" was a kid/gamer thing. It's shaking my world to find out that it's actually an "old guy" thing. :oops:

:)

Speaking of old fowler's....My fowler has a double throated cock ( a real gun term )
DSC06560.jpg
Some flintlocks have a "Serpentine Cock " ( another real gun term )
DSC06817.jpg

The big difference here is that the Serpentine Cock is "S" shaped and the Double throated Cock has a hole in the middle.
The Seprentine is considered the older of the two as a general rule.

Also note that if one searches the 'Net and uses the terms Serpentine Cock and or Double Throated Cock...
I am not responsible for the images , pop up ads , or mental health issues etc... that may show up.:eek: :D
Andy

My frequently used description is "$&)%*$#" often used in referral to which ever part it was
in that particular firearm that caused the bullet to strike several inches away from the center
of the target. :s0092:

Of course, there are some firearm terms whose history and meaning.....
....are pretty-much self-explanatory.

especially when talking to non-gun people AKA "primitive screwheads"

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR