JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
:D:D:D

Fantastic!! Nice little house gun, but I'd prefer a pump for backup shots. At least a double.

I watched that famous UTube gun guy, Hickock45, test some at about 15-20' with a 4" Governor revolver... same results.

I'm fortunate enough not to have any hallways in my house... the longest shot would be from the office door to the far side of the LV room near the front door, about 20', and I have a Circuit Judge shotgun staged in the office. The barrel is 18.5" and it has a 3" cylinder so it takes the longer 3" PDX1 - 4ea .45cal copper discs and 16 copper plated BB shot pellets. Badazz!!!

My Public Defender Judge is a nightstand gun. Since I had to move into the spare bedroom, the wife's bd is across the house on the other side of the LV room and I don't want something that will easily over-penetrate the partition wall after going thru the entertainment center. :eek:
Yeah, I think I'm with you on the gun type in the case of home protection. Something with a backup shot.
However, there's nothing wrong with using whatever it is you have on hand. If a break action single is your entire arsenal, then that will work just fine.
I don't know if I'd go that short with the barrel, but everyone's case is different.
Mod the gun to suit the situation, I guess.
My original thoughts on a home protection load was that same Duck & Pheasant load but filled with BB's.
A compromise between pellet weight and pattern density.
It seems a lot of people just can't fathom the importance of the density of the shot pattern.
Maybe its just easier to approach the idea of a load from the mindset of a rifle or pistol round.
These days, I realize that since I already have something like 11 boxes of #6's on hand, that will work just fine, as well.

Dean

Last Edited:
Yeah, I think I'm with you on the gun type in the case of home protection. Something with a backup shot.
However, there's nothing wrong with using whatever it is you have on hand. If a break action single is your entire arsenal, then that will work just fine.
I don't know if I'd go that short with the barrel, but everyone's case is different.
Mod the gun to suit the situation, I guess.
My original thoughts on a home protection load was that same Duck & Pheasant load but filled with BB's.
A compromise between pellet weight and pattern density.
It seems a lot of people just can't fathom the importance of the density of the shot pattern.
Maybe its just easier to approach the idea of a load from the mindset of a rifle or pistol round.
These days, I realize that since I already have something like 11 boxes of #6's on hand, that will work just fine, as well.

Dean

I like the shorter barrel for manueverability.

I agree about shot size. Yes, individual #8 shot doesn't penetrate very well.... but when you are only 10' away and the shot charge hits, you got 400+ pellets leading the way. Must people don' think in terms of shot string. But some pellets are in front and the sheer size of the charge opens up the meat for the rest of the pellets to follow them on in. Or some BS like that... :D

Also remember "frangible" ammo? The Glaser slug was very popular for awhile for household use. I didn't see many poopooing that idea. I can't see a full charge from a high-base 12ga as being inadequate at household ranges compared to a Glaser load.

Last Edited:
Barry, from the iraqveteran8888 YT channel, once compared a 12 ga. cut shell round to a 73 caliber Glaser slug because of its ability to dispense, once inside the intended target.

Here's a chart I found a while back showing shot spread per distance from the muzzle...

1584049929887.png
(pic courtesy of The Montana Hunter's Ed Course Website)

Last Edited:
My first handgun was a .40 caliber, I got really proficient with it over a couple of years. Then I got my first 9mm, I loved how quick my follow-ups were compared with a .40 so I started shooting the 9 more. Traded my 40 for the same model 9. Then I picked up a 1911 in 45, I love shooting a full frame 1911 in 45. Tried 45 in a compact and it felt less snappy than a 40 and I could shoot it better.

I had a two year head start with a .40 before I tried other calibers. In the end I shoot other calibers better, I can shoot a .40 sub-compact even with the snappy flip - I am just better with 9 and 45, so it made sense to drop the .40

I can shoot 9MM and 45 ACP out to about 25 yards after that I seem to lob it, not that I am a bad lobber, I just like 40 S&W at 70 and 100 yards. 357 Sig and 10 MM works too.

So a lot of you seem to like the 40 but go with the nine because you're cheap.
one word, "reload" ya numb skulls! When I bought my first 40 I bought brass, bullets and dies. Some folks are just lazy.
now I shoot as many rounds as I like. Cheaper than buying 9.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top