JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So a lot of you seem to like the 40 but go with the nine because you're cheap.
one word, "reload" ya numb skulls! When I bought my first 40 I bought brass, bullets and dies. Some folks are just lazy.
now I shoot as many rounds as I like. Cheaper than buying 9.

I started rolling my own on one of the ammo shortages. Components started becoming available before ammo, so I bought components, traded, and already had a bubblegum ton of brass so started reloading. My two pistol rounds are 9 and 45, although I do have a 380, I don't shoot it and only keep 50 rounds for the tiny thing.

'The 9's are cheap because of all the ex-military round floating around in the market that sell for pounds on the penny.
If the our government would accept the .40, across the board, as the standard sidearm round, I think eventually, you'd see dirt cheap ex-military .40's hitting the market as well....and then the 9, which was originally designed as a temporary stop-gap to begin with, would die. :s0018:

So a lot of you seem to like the 40 but go with the nine because you're cheap.
one word, "reload" ya numb skulls! When I bought my first 40 I bought brass, bullets and dies. Some folks are just lazy.
now I shoot as many rounds as I like. Cheaper than buying 9.
I am LAZY for real, but I also do not own reloading equipment or the space to put it. I do have small bench, but it is being used, not taking new clients. Then there are the choices, Lyman, Lee, Hornady, RCBS, Dillon, probably more. It would drive me crazy or crazier. Plus you have to pay attention, and my attention account is running low.

My brain is full, I don't need to reload.

the 9, which was originally designed as a temporary stop-gap to begin with, would die.
I am LAZY for real, but I also do not own reloading equipment or the space to put it. I do have small bench, but it is being used, not taking new clients. Then there are the choices, Lyman, Lee, Hornady, RCBS, Dillon, probably more. It would drive me crazy or crazier. Plus you have to pay attention, and my attention account is running low.

My brain is full, I don't need to reload.

I started reloading in a hallway closet in a 700 sqft 1 bedroom apartment.. :p If you have enough respect for what your doing, when you catch your self second guessing or not paying attention - you start your run over again from scratch, keeps you safe and you tend to stay focused and allocate your attention to only reloading after forcing yourself to start over to ensure you didn't make a mistake, pulling bullets is slow! When your main source of ammo are your own reloads you tend to make shots count a little more when you use a single stage press that's for sure, but I find it enjoyable for some strange reason.

.40 is dead, but for a small fee I'll meet you at an FFL to take those obsolete guns off your hands. Don't let your .40 Sigs and Berettas take up valuable space in your safe that a 9x19 should occupy.

I think for most people it boils down to higher capacity and less recoil with 9mm than a cost issue. Plenty of people are still buying .380 and that's as much if not more expensive than .40 so I don't buy the "cheap" thing. Shooting is hard, 15-20 chances vs 8 chances to hit is a big difference.

I think for most people it boils down to higher capacity and less recoil with 9mm than a cost issue. Plenty of people are still buying .380 and that's as much if not more expensive than .40 so I don't buy the "cheap" thing. Shooting is hard, 15-20 chances vs 8 chances to hit is a big difference.
I think my XD40 Mod 2 holds 12 and the XD9 Mod 2 16 so four difference, with my XDS's it is one or two rounds. XDM40's and Glock G-22's are 15 rounds standard.

All this talk of the .40 S&W prompted me to dig the old Glock 22 out of the safe and take it to the range yesterday. It's an early one that I bought used back in the late '90s. I haven't shot it in a while. I had almost forgotten what a good gun it is- just a solid, reliable, accurate handgun. It's nothing fancy, just a no-frills, generic tool, but a good one.

As much as I defend the .40 S&W, I don't shoot it much. If I had to choose just one, it would be 9mm. I think the 9mm is generally good enough, and just about the right balance of power and controllability for most things.

I think my XD40 Mod 2 holds 12 and the XD9 Mod 2 16 so four difference, with my XDS's it is one or two rounds. XDM40's and Glock G-22's are 15 rounds standard.

It all really depends. The XD's are a pretty darn good gun, I own a Mod 2 in .45 myself. This is my carry piece in winter when I am wearing layers. However, the Mod 2. is a double stack and depending on your frame and hand size, a double stack might not work for everyone conceal carry. I know a number of people who prefer a single stack and in that case you are going to fit more 9 in a single stack. Additionally a .40 sub-compact in a 3 inch frame is really flippy at the muzzle, more so than .45 so again for me its about follow up shots. Since I take a home/self defense viewpoint with my firearms I am not looking for barrier penetration - something that is often cited as a pro in regards to the .40 caliber. Barrier penetration used to be a huge consideration to me, then over the years I started to wonder if I was becoming some sort of Tacticool Mall Ninja - so I just shoot what I shoot most proficiently.

I end up with 24 rounds of .45 on me when I carry in winter. I have the short 9 round magazine with the +1 pierce grip pinky extender + 1 in the chamber. I also carry a second 13 round extended magazine.

In the summer I end up carrying a P938 7+1 and a spare 7 round magazine (15) since I wear form fitting cloths without a lot of layers.

I have a XD45 SC Mod 2 also, just heavier than my two 40's and more top heavy too, interesting point is it;s extended mag is 13 where the 40's are a 12;

I had the 45 first

Yes, if we go back 15-20 years ago when those guns were new and double stacked full size (full size with mag extension at least) was more the norm. If we look at new designs, we have a subcompact single stack 9mm (g43x) that fits 15 (s15 mags) flush.

Bah! Puny humans!
If its good enough for James Bond, its good enough for me.
.32 ACP, aka 7.65mm - Like a brick through a plate glass window. :s0155:

1584558190480.png

...shakin', not stirred. :s0033:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR