JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Sounds like a bunch of old biddies arguing back and forth in here!

Everybody knows 9mm is king of the hill. I've heard stories of kill shots at over a mile and tanks being vaporized at a mere close miss!

Plus the clip thingies hold a gazillion Bullets!:eek::D:p

I shoot pins once a month also. We place the pins on the front of the table for major the middle for minor and back edge for 22. Honestly I didn't realize so many were still hung up on Caliber vs training and getting shots on target. I thought .40 was dead because nobody at pins or steel challenge shoots that caliber. Every once and a while I guess. And I hardly see .40 brass laying around at the ranges I shoot at.

sorry if I offended anyone with the FUDD comment. Hey I'm almost a FUDD myself! I wear a camo hat to work and carharts! But I don't use a handgun like it's a bolt action hinting rifle. Different tool, different mission

I shoot pins once a month also. We place the pins on the front of the table for major the middle for minor and back edge for 22. Honestly I didn't realize so many were still hung up on Caliber vs training and getting shots on target. I thought .40 was dead because nobody at pins or steel challenge shoots that caliber. Every once and a while I guess. And I hardly see .40 brass laying around at the ranges I shoot at.

sorry if I offended anyone with the FUDD comment. Hey I'm almost a FUDD myself! I wear a camo hat to work and carharts! But I don't use a handgun like it's a bolt action hinting rifle. Different tool, different mission
I think part of the issue is your world is small yet you use a broad brush to paint the rest of us with you perceptions. By saying that no one is using 40 S&W to shoot bowling pins and not adding "at your range" means you are discounting me and and the 10,000 rest of us that may not shoot at your range but do shoot the 40 with great success at our events. I've been shooting competitively 40 years and for the last 3 years have owned an ammunition company. I have 20 handguns and shoot them all well. In fact next month I plan to shoot Sage rats and am going to use my Ruger Blackhawk in 30 Carbine and expect to be minute of rat out to 100 yds. I know a .223 rifle might be a "better" choice but in this case, I like the challenge of making the ammo and whacking something way out there. Of course being way out there I'll most likely bring other interesting calibers like 10mm and 41 mag because I can. My Gen 4 Glock 22 will be with me where it always is 8 O'clock IWB.

No prob... FYI the conventional meaning of FUDD, as we use it here, is typically a gun owner that is for gun control laws. Doesn't think anybody needs an AR. Doesn't think you need more than 5rds. Only see hunting, or whatever the FUDD's use is, as a valid use of firearms and reason to own them. As such, it's not a gun friendly term. Nothing to do with how one dresses. :):):)

The recent trend of mocking Boomers is another pet peeve. Not saying you do that.... just saying please don't start!! ;) I'm a sensitive boomer ya know!! :cool:

no one is using 40 S&W to shoot bowling pins and not adding "at your range" means you are discounting me and and the 10,000 rest of us

Agreed. I shoot IDPA and there are many .40 fanboys shooting locally!!! We also have a few .45ACP. But there has been a move away from both and towards 9mm as IDPA has moved somewhat away from simulating concealed carry defense scenarios, which we still do, and more towards gaming. People gotta win. Especially since the Speed Steel went away, and the USPSA went away and both of those brought their competitive natures to IDPA. It's not just here, it's happening nationally.

Yep lots of different games to be played. At the range I shoot bowling pins it's run what ya brung. 5 rounds and 5 pins. Only pins clear off the table count only other rules are no rifle calibers and no hollow point bullets. For the dueling tree we load to which ever of the two contestants has the lowest capacity. What that means is if I shoot against some one with a GP-100 and use my G-22 I can only load 6 rounds per magazine. The falling plate rack you can have all the rounds you want but the time starts with a buzzer and end when the last (5th) plate falls. The other range I shoot at has 6 bays set up with different ways to shoot them. They break the contestants down into 4 classes rimfire, revolver, single stack and anything over 10 rounds.

...in later years, when I was shooting USPSA, I started shooting a .40S&W Witness. It bucked a little more than the .45 I ended up shooting in competition. The .45 had a push, and the .40 was a little sharper. Then as I continued to age and got arthritis in my hands, my hands got too sore after a day of shooting competition, well over 150rds. I would go home and have to scarf NSAIDs for 2 days to recover. So I switched to 9mm. Eventually even that bothered my hands. Now I'm lookng for a .22 target pistol to shoot steel instead of IDPA. Just a wuss I guess.
Not a wuss bb.
The arthritis has just started with me.
Left foot and left hand.
Really debilitating.
Different things seem to be working. Most effective right now is massage and heat, but relief is temporary. Like a couple of minutes.
Eventually it will go away, but it looks like I've arrived at that point in life....this'll be fun. :rolleyes:
I also note the recoil of the .40.
Never shot .45, but I have let loose on 9mm a couple of times.
To me, the initial shock of the recoil is sharper with the .40, but overall, very similar to the 9mm.
It's like they say; power of the .45, recoil of the 9.
They're not lying.

Dean

Anyone bubbleguming about 40 cal, I got $1000 to let someone shoot you in the head with one round and report back how its a dead caliber.
That's similar to my argument about using a shotgun loaded with a bird shot round for home protection.
Oddly enough, everyone who said I was lying and that it wasn't effective never took me up on my offer to stand 30 feet away from me while I blew an ounce of #6's from a Duck & Pheasant load into their stupid @$$. :rolleyes:

I attend training courses regularly, I have shot 40 and 357 Sig a lot, but will return to my XDM9 5.25 as it has 19 Round Magazines and my 40/357 has 12 round magazines. I tried aftermarket extended... waste of money. I will shoot 124 grain next class. If those Chicom's don't get me with Covid 19 first. :eek:

The arthritis has just started with me.
Left foot and left hand.
Really debilitating.
Different things seem to be working. Most effective right now is massage and heat, but relief is temporary. Like a couple of minutes.
Eventually it will go away, but it looks like I've arrived at that point in life....this'll be fun.

So sorry to read about your development DeanMk!! That's gonna put a dent in your Chukar hunting!

I've found CBD salve works very well. But temporary also. And the CBD oil/capsules provide relief to the entire bod. Other than that it's difficult for me because I'm not allowed to take NSAIDs due to medical, and Tylenol don't do it for me.

Yah, it's a hoot... like you I also have bad arthritis in my feet. So, an IDPA match is hobble, shoot, and gobble pain med afterwards!!! :(

That's similar to my argument about using a shotgun loaded with a bird shot round for home protection.
Oddly enough, everyone who said I was lying and that it wasn't effective never took me up on my offer to stand 30 feet away from me while I blew an ounce of #6's from a Duck & Pheasant load into their stupid @$$. :rolleyes:

Same about .410 PDX1 loads, with the copper discs and BBs, widely panned as ineffective due to spread. Stop testing them at 25yds out of a 2" barrel!!! At bedroom distance, 3yds, let me shoot them with my stupid Judge nightstand gun and we'll see what's what!!!

I seem to have a lot of Springfield plastic, just work well for me. my XDM9 5.25 was my first full size 9MM and it is great, I can use the same OWB holster for my XDM10 5.25 and it works well my 4" service XD357 and XD40 Mod 2 can also use the same holster, but I did get one a little shorter for those two.. The XD9 4" Mod 2 uses 16 round magazines instead of the 19 pounds for the XDM9. XDM's have more parts than the XD's do to accommodate takedown without a trigger pull. And the XDM has a longer grip frame with more texture, way more aggressive. Talon grip tape tamed mine.

Still I don't carry a nine except if I know I'll need a single stack Then a Rugger LC9s Pro, but that need pretty well went away after retirement. I carry 40 or 357 Sig almost exclusively now.

Same about .410 PDX1 loads, with the copper discs and BBs, widely panned as ineffective due to spread. Stop testing them at 25yds out of a 2" barrel!!! At bedroom distance, 3yds, let me shoot them with my stupid Judge nightstand gun and we'll see what's what!!!
Yeah, some people just refuse to get it.
I always choose 30 feet, because I figure that's about the longest distance one is going to deal with inside most homes.
If your chosen load can be effective at that distance, then it will work anywhere inside that distance, too.
...and next time someone flips you guff about .410 pdx for a home defense load, you can show them this....

...OW! :eek:

Yeah, some people just refuse to get it.
I always choose 30 feet, because I figure that's about the longest distance one is going to deal with inside most homes.
If your chosen load can be effective at that distance, then it will work anywhere inside that distance, too.
...and next time someone flips you guff about .410 pdx for a home defense load, you can show them this....

...OW! :eek:

:D:D:D

Fantastic!! Nice little house gun, but I'd prefer a pump for backup shots. At least a double.

I watched that famous UTube gun guy, Hickock45, test some at about 15-20' with a 4" Governor revolver... same results.

I'm fortunate enough not to have any hallways in my house... the longest shot would be from the office door to the far side of the LV room near the front door, about 20', and I have a Circuit Judge shotgun staged in the office. The barrel is 18.5" and it has a 3" cylinder so it takes the longer 3" PDX1 - 4ea .45cal copper discs and 16 copper plated BB shot pellets. Badazz!!!

My Public Defender Judge is a nightstand gun. Since I had to move into the spare bedroom, the wife's bd is across the house on the other side of the LV room and I don't want something that will easily over-penetrate the partition wall after going thru the entertainment center. :eek:

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top