JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
i have a ar-9 that I've been having issues with feeding.they seem to just want to jam nose first into the feed ramp. It takes glock mags and I've tried multiple mags .Factory ammo runs pretty good. Gonna try a few different oal and maybe up the charge a hair. Just wondering if you guys might have some tips or something to watch for. The reloads run great in a few other guns.

Most AR15 9mm barrels do not have much of a "feed ramp" and depend solely on the magazine placement to feed properly.

9mm_feed_ramp_1_4.jpg

That said, I would assume the culprit is the magazine, lower receiver, barrel, or well anything if it was an AR you assembled yourself.

Hard to say. It is a common problem though.

Most AR15 9mm barrels do not have much of a "feed ramp" and depend solely on the magazine placement to feed properly.

View attachment 448674

That said, I would assume the culprit is the magazine, lower receiver, barrel, or well anything if it was an AR you assembled yourself.

Hard to say. It is a common problem though.

I'll have to double check in a few but I swear it had some type of feed ramp. I haven't had much time with it yet and when it started giving me problems I just tossed it back in the case.

I'll have to double check in a few but I swear it had some type of feed ramp. I haven't had much time with it yet and when it started giving me problems I just tossed it back in the case.
Factory gun or home built? More info helps identify issues.

"Factory ammo runs pretty good"?
Well there's your problem! lol
I'd then try to replicate factory ammo so that they are then "pretty good" also.. most likely you need a bullet shape that more approximates factory.. ie more pointy and then maybe use a factory crimp die to make sure they don't stack up funny in the mag.

I'd then try to replicate factory ammo so that they are then "pretty good" also.. most likely you need a bullet shape that more approximates factory.. ie more pointy and then maybe use a factory crimp die to make sure they don't stack up funny in the mag.
This.

Unfortunatley it already is made pretty close to factory ammo and using a Lee crimp die

Factory gun it's a mil sport ar-9
Grab all your mags. Load them up and insert them each into the gun with the bolt held open and the safety on. This will give you a clear picture of your feeding "window" and from there you may get a clearer idea of the problem.

Also as others have mentioned a good crimp on your reloads should assist as it would prevent the bullet from sinking into the case when feeding vs hitting the feed ramp and going where it should. Your ammo could be acting like a damper system.

I ended up sending my barrel to a gunsmith to open up the feed cone, and ream the throat a little deeper. $40 later, runs anything and everything.

Heavier rounds and hollow points in mine would hit low on the feed cone, get bent upward, and jam nose first into the top of the cone. Pretty sure this is due to OAL and a shorter taper down the sides of the bullet. The length and reduction in taper also made some self defense rounds 'stick' in the chamber, hence the reaming.

I ended up sending my barrel to a gunsmith to open up the feed cone, and ream the throat a little deeper. $40 later, runs anything and everything.

Heavier rounds and hollow points in mine would hit low on the feed cone, get bent upward, and jam nose first into the top of the cone. Pretty sure this is due to OAL and a shorter taper down the sides of the bullet. The length and reduction in taper also made some self defense rounds 'stick' in the chamber, hence the reaming.
Good news!

With a full magazine, how much gap is between the top round and the second round at the mouth of the case?

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top