JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
I had to go full Joe Biden, but "Buy a shotgun"

An 18" Mossberg 500 12 gauge pump shotgun can be had for around $300. Take the wood dowel out of the tube so you can get five shells of #4 buckshot loaded.

My preference is a pump shotgun with nothing in the chamber. That way you have to rack the slide to chamber a round. A universal language and most people want nothing with a shotgun. #4 buck as per Mel Tappan, less dangerous to other folks in the house.

Remington Youth 20". 20GA I can help you in ordering a simple mag extension that puts the round count in the mag at 7...
House secure...
20GA because the recoil is more what you need, Federal Praire Loads #6 and #2s combined.
I would also let you "test" a few pistols to make up your mind on what's comfortable. PM me if interested in that kind of help.

Glad the OP is finally getting around to taking some personal responsibility for her safety. I am literally BEWILDERED why so many wait until after a traumatic event such as a home invasion, rape, etc. This home invasion by a person with a weapon could have resulted in serious assault or death. Sorta like buying car insurance after the accident, oblivious to accidents until one happens to you.

Better late than never. And hopefully the OP is not one of the leftist liberals who keeps voting AWAY self defense rights and tools.

There's a lot more than just going to buy a 9mm. It's going to require training, and a lot of it. Shooting a gun may look easy in movies, but in a life/death situation with adrenaline, and the speed of an attack, etc. it will be very hard. Watch some youtube videos on the Active Self Protection channel to see the speed and violence attacks occur in. I'm very confident with guns and some of those challenge me and how I would survive.

EVERY ADULT should take some personal interest in owning guns and learning to use them, and stop voting away gun rights.

The woman in this story might have been assaulted, raped, or killed had she not been armed. Instead, she defended herself from a home invasion by a escaped convict armed with a shank in her home.

South Carolina woman kills escaped jail inmate who kicked down her door, sheriff says
South Carolina woman kills escaped jail inmate who kicked down her door
By Nicole Darrah

Hours after he and another inmate escaped jail after beating up a security guard, a South Carolina inmate was fatally shot after he broke into a woman's house, officials said.

Bruce McLaughlin Jr., 30, was shot in the head by the woman after he kicked in her back door on Tuesday,...After he entered the home, McLaughlin grabbed a knife sharpening tool from the kitchen and headed toward the woman's bedroom around 3 a.m. Sheriff Rick Clark said the woman was home alone and had undergone concealed weapons training at some point prior to the incident.

"This was a big guy. If she hadn't had a weapon there's no telling what would have happened," the sheriff said. "I gave her a big hug. I told her how proud I was of her."

Clark said the incident was "a shining example" of why owning and knowing how to properly use a gun is important.

Good luck to you, the OP.

-Thanks for the tip.
-I was offered no option for restraining order from police... That would have been nice. Then again, I messaged the responding officer that I found the knife used and they still haven't returned to get it.
-Yes, I do know the perp. Somewhat at least .
-Yes, I absolutely will press charges.
-I can only hope they catch him. I am terrified. But, doubtful since unfortunately the police seemed unmotivated.
-I've never purchased a gun, assumed it would be a wait time that is unacceptable for me.
-I will go to the NW Armory, thank you .
-I'm neither suspicious, nor a dog.

Appreciate the advice. May not be the best approach, but I'm trying during a very traumatic time. I don't have anyone to ask. Sorry.

Your OP said you previously owned a .38? How did you acquire it if you've never purchased a gun? And are you looking for a way to get around a wait time? Which the state of Oregon doesn't have......

First find a class. What others like or think you will like may mean nothing to you. Along with a class next find a range with rentals. If you don't own a gun at all anything now beats waiting on 911. Then start with rentals and the class. See what you like. Those rentals can save a lot of money if you don't end up buying something you find you do not like.

I recommend you go to a class. Held by many various places. A CHL class is a good start too.

If you are interested I would say go into Cabela's and check their class schedule. Talk up the counter people there too. Best not say things about your incident.

If your worried about gun purchases for now. At least buy some other form of defense while your learning. Like bear spray or a taser of some sort.

Your OP said you previously owned a .38? How did you acquire it if you've never purchased a gun? And are you looking for a way to get around a wait time? Which the state of Oregon doesn't have......

Non-gun folks are not up to date on firearm laws. My Mother-in-law in Washington State also "never purchased a gun, and assumed it would be a wait time" Actually she thought it was like back East where you had to apply to the Police Chief for a license before purchasing one. And thanks to the voters in Sea-Tac, now it is.

Oh and she (my MIL) also assumed that if something bad ever happened, like the power going off in her town for a week, that I could just drive across State lines and hand her one of my guns to borrow. You know, because common sense gun laws don't apply to family.

Non-gun folks are not up to date on firearm laws. My Mother-in-law in Washington State also "never purchased a gun, and assumed it would be a wait time" Actually she thought it was like back East where you had to apply to the Police Chief for a license before purchasing one. And thanks to the voters in Sea-Tac, now it is.

Oh and she (my MIL) also assumed that if something bad ever happened, like the power going off in her town for a week, that I could just drive across State lines and hand her one of my guns to borrow. You know, because common sense gun laws don't apply to family.

Understood. I'm just simply trying to help the OP. And again, I tend not to take ANYTHING at face value.

"Home invasion"?
"Continued texts"?
"I HAD a .38 years ago"?
But never have purchased a gun.....?

Methinks there's WAY more to this story than we know.......just saying.........

not-atf-30154975.png

OP - sorry you had to go through the trauma of the home intrusion.

I had a similar even when several boys chose to kick in the door while I
was at home. Fortunately, I had replaced the glass in the door with
plexiglass and it required several impacts before they forced the door in,

Luckily I had gone to go to the range the before and the gearbag was in
the hallway. as I ran towards the broken door, I grabbed the 1911 sitting
atop the bag.

I've beefed things up around the place to make entry a little more difficult,
especially perimeter warning. Think of that, too. Having 15 seconds warning
is a huge plus.

I echo the previous suggestions to take a class etc. It doesn't do any good
to buy the biggest or baddest or most popular ... if your hand, muscles,
stature doesn't blend in with the design of the gun and what it takes to
manipulate and shoot it accurately.

Status

Upcoming Events

Good News!! The Carson, WA shows are back!!
Carson, WA
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top