JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have done a lot of thinking and not sure which way to go. A lot of my pistols are 9MM and I think I would like to have a AR that shoots the same.

I am really torn between a pistol for the obvious reasons of concealment and ease of storage. Possibly a truck gun. Or a SBR for more accuracy at longer distances. I would like to hear your guys thoughts on this.

Also where to start looking for components. What lowers do you guys like? Is there a lower that takes S&W mags instead of Glock mags? Any and all input would be great.

I have done a lot of thinking and not sure which way to go. A lot of my pistols are 9MM and I think I would like to have a AR that shoots the same.

I am really torn between a pistol for the obvious reasons of concealment and ease of storage. Possibly a truck gun. Or a SBR for more accuracy at longer distances. I would like to hear your guys thoughts on this.

Also where to start looking for components. What lowers do you guys like? Is there a lower that takes S&W mags instead of Glock mags? Any and all input would be great.

Just ask @IronMonster, he's built half a dozen or more by now I'm sure.;)

I'd go pistol with a brace personally so there isn't a stamp needed and you can keep it loaded in the vehicle, where a rifle would have to have the mag out.

Just my 2¢ having never built one.

Not to be that guy that totally throws a thread off the rails by saying something completely different from what you are asking.........but have you shot a CZ Scorpion? Much smoother, more reliable and built from the ground up to shoot pistol calibers instead of wonky retrofitting. And for around $700, same ballpark as building an AR.

Not to be that guy that totally throws a thread off the rails by saying something completely different from what you are asking.........but have you shot a CZ Scorpion? Much smoother, more reliable and built from the ground up to shoot pistol calibers instead of wonky retrofitting. And for around $700, same ballpark as building an AR.

I'll think about that but really want to build my own AR. Thanks though.

I'm torn on AR15s in pistol calibers. I built two and sold both.

My main gripe is trying to get the bolt speed right. Not a huge problem, but to me it wasn't ever right. I like that you can build an AR into a 9mm sub gun. I just feel that there are better guns out there that are made around the 9mm round.

I too agree with the other guy here. Check out the CZ scorpion pistol first. Hold it, play with it, then see if going the AR route is your thing.

If you do go the AR route I highly recommend spending the money on JPs captured buffer spring set up.

I have been rolling around the same thought. I'm going to go with a pistol, from the simple fact if I want to SBR later....viola....no waiting on tax stamp now. As most of you know (until I have a bad experience) I really like PSA. However I have been looking at these just because of the price (10% off if you sign up for their newsletter). I think that a 4" barrel is too short for my applications but a 10.5" upper that PSA offers is a little longer than I wanted....so a 7.5" barrel under $150 from DD...The only thing that isn't USA made is the "sound forwarder"..... I think I could tinker around with it enough and if I can find a good lower....prob going with PSA's for Glocks....a sub $300 9mm AR pistol......why not give it a shot :) literally

Davidson Defense 9mm AR-15 Assembled Pistol Upper W/ 1-10 Twist QPQ Nitride Finish 7" M-Lok Handguard & Sound Forwarder

Edit: too short of handguard for my liking

Davidson Defense AR15 9mm Assembled Pistol Kit, Everything But the Lower Receiver and BCG!

EDITx2: Prob my fav if I find out more about part mfgs

Davidson Defense 9mm 7.5 Inch Assembled Pistol Kit, Everything But the Lower Receiver and BCG!

Last Edited:
I really would like to use S&W mags just because I have some. Don't own a glock so not really interested in buying the mags its just a added expense. :confused:

But I would if someone convinced me they are just that much better or the cost of the lower is that much cheaper.

Just ask @IronMonster, he's built half a dozen or more by now I'm sure.;)

I'd go pistol with a brace personally so there isn't a stamp needed and you can keep it loaded in the vehicle, where a rifle would have to have the mag out.

Just my 2¢ having never built one.

Every time I see one with the brace it has me wanting to build of buy one now for just that reason. The way it is a handgun legally. VERY tempting.

I really would like to use S&W mags just because I have some. Don't own a glock so not really interested in buying the mags its just a added expense. :confused:

But I would if someone convinced me they are just that much better or the cost of the lower is that much cheaper.

That only has to do with the lower....you can find one. I thought PSA had some but I just looked and dont see any......hummmm

Lower receiver choices are Colt and Glock. I went with Glock.
9mm BCGs were colt or glock, and needed a custom hammer. The makers now offer BCGs that work with a standard hammer and either mags.
The buffer group is where adjustments can be made.

I was originally looking to assemble an AR-45ACP but there were no parts available. Settled for the 9mm.

Now I see choices for .45 as well as 10mm.

Today PSA had one for 319 free shipping 4'' barrel with the 6'' forearm,with flash can, also that was with bolt , bolt carrier and charging handle. I'd like to get one with the 7.5 barrel length, i believe they had them on sale a week or so ago. Keep your eye on the PSA sight, sign up for the EBLAST and you'll be sent an email when they are on sale. Be patient, i think they build them as they are ordered, test fired then shipped.

Last Edited:
I didn't sell my 9mm AR, I sold another .223 pistol. Mine came from PSA, the upper and the lower. Uses Glock mags but since that's what I shoot it works for me. Has been 100% reliable so far with bulk 115 FMJ.

Had an epifany last night. I think what I am going to do is start with a 5.56 or 300 black pistol. Then I can accomplish two things. Get a AR pistol and I can go get a jig and do my own lowers.

I think for now that is a win, win. :)

I just ordered a PSA 10.5" w12" rail and KAK can- AR9 upper
A lower with the new Sig brace and 10-31rd ETS mags.
I have a CZ Scorpion, Beretta CX4, & Sig MPX so I figured its time to build a 9mm AR.
I had one along time ago when they first came out but I had to use the mag block and Uzi mags. Also had a .45acp AR back then and a polymer .410 AR upper, talk about exotic... those:) models lacked reliability.
I have been wanting a PSA AR9 for some time and since im deep into 9mms currently, I figured it was time. I didnt spend over $700 dollars so that really helped me budget this into my current finances, free shipping on everything also really helped concrete the decision. Should be here soon, that range day should be interesting. :)

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews