JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You are correct, Ironmonster did build one that takes M&P magazines - I looked at the one he bought (can't remember the manufacturer at them moment), but I do recall it was a spendy receiver for that option.

My PSA AR9 has run without a single issue so far.

Whatever you do, I do like the idea of sticking with a pistol build - it makes concealing on you (say, in a bag) or in your vehicle so much easier with a CHL or CPL. SBR's, I'm pretty sure you can't do that.

My next AR build will likely be a pistol build in .223/5.56 or .300BLK. I do like the idea of going with an 80% lower though - I really want one of those 5D Tactical jigs :)

It is. He gives it high marks. I've seen some others have it too - all seem to really like it - plus you can buy some extra parts and do .308 lowers too.

Just make sure you keep that bearing on the End Mill cleaned out and lubed really good I went through 4 lowers and the fifth one it started to chatter they sent me three free bearings, excellent customer service for 5D Tactical!!!;)

Last Edited:
Just make sure you keep that bearing on the End Mill cleaned out and lubed really good I went through 4 lowers and the fifth one it started to chatter they sent me three free bearings, excellent customer service for d5 Tactical!!!;)

And 5D is a paid NWFA vendor now too - support them, support the site.

Iron which one is your favorite? If you could only have one which one would it be?
So far the MPX is, then the CX4, the CZ would probably be better if it didnt have a KAK shockwave blade uncomfortably slamming my shoulder. Might try a Thordsen Customs cheekrest or other cheekrest/brace.

I'd do a pistol build + brace as has already been mentioned.

Do it in .300BLK (8") or 5.56 (10.3" or higher).

Why bother with a pistol round for a truck gun (rifle)?

AR9 that uses glock mags for magazine compatibility.
I myself have been shooting alot of 9mm lately and another 9mm is welcome especially because I have extra parts to add, mags, and ammo is cheap.
I find myself shooting more when I shoot 9mm, I can get 1000rds for $180 of S&B 115gr FMJ 9mm.
I have a Primary weapons system Mk107 pistol that is a beast, I built a 11.5" DI AR15 Spikes Jack pistol and a 12" AR10 pistol, for 5.56 and .308win days. The AR10 makes a unbeatable truck gun in a pistol configuration.

If I may chime in. I built a 9mm AR completing an 80% lower and using a Hahn magwell adapter. Used colt style mags. No registration and if I ever wanted or needed to I could quickly revert the rifle back to rifle caliber. Super fun to shoot. I used a cmmg 9mm upper and ramped bolt that works with standard ar hammer.

Had an epifany last night. I think what I am going to do is start with a 5.56 or 300 black pistol. Then I can accomplish two things. Get a AR pistol and I can go get a jig and do my own lowers.

I think for now that is a win, win. :)

I was actually going to suggest the blackout as an alternative. I have two SBR's and one pistol in that caliber and would recommend the pistol for the reasons others stated earlier. Blackout ammo is not as cheap as some other options like 223, but it uses pistol powder so it's not a flamethrower when in a short barrel configuration. You also effectively have the power of a 30-30 or subsonic options if you plan to throw a can on it.
On that note, please write your rep to support HR 3668 if you have not already. (Contains the HPA act)

Not to be that guy that totally throws a thread off the rails by saying something completely different from what you are asking.........but have you shot a CZ Scorpion? Much smoother, more reliable and built from the ground up to shoot pistol calibers instead of wonky retrofitting. And for around $700, same ballpark as building an AR.

CZ's Scorpion EVO is a fine, well built piece of equipment. I have the carbine with the faux suppressor and love it. 30 round mags are cheap to buy and will eat anything I feed it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top